cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our apologies for the recent transaction and balance confusion

Stephane K Member Since: Jan 9, 2009
1 of 99

UPDATE: This thread has been closed from further replies.

To our valued contractors, Please accept our apologies for the bug that some of you experienced this weekend. We have been working around the clock to fix it and I’d now like to clarify what happened and how it's been fixed. This weekend, we began a one-time effort to split the financial accounts of users who have accounts for both working on oDesk (contractor and agency accounts) as well as for hiring (client accounts). As described in this help article, this change was necessary to ensure we continue to meet legal and regulatory requirements. Unfortunately, in making this change, some of you experienced a situation in which we moved your balance to your client or agency account, when you expected it to be in your contractor financial account. This was clearly very alarming for those of you who saw a $0 balance and did not know the money was in your other financial account. Please know, that although this error caused an inability to access funds for some of you, at no time were your transaction history, pending payments, or earnings lost or at risk. They were always in your account, just for some, in the wrong place. We’ve been working to correct the situation as rapidly as possible. Please identify which of the four categories below best describes you and then note your correction: 1. If you are an independent contractor with a client account that has never been used (note: you may not even remember that you created a client account) your balance and transaction history are once again in your contractor financial account. 2. If you are an independent contractor who has had an active client account in the past but who hasn’t paid for any work in the past 30 days, your balance has been returned to your contractor financial account. Your transaction history has moved to your client account. This is in order to keep all your transactions - past client and contractor - in one financial account. 3. If you are an independent contractor with a client account where you have paid for work in the past 30 days, your balance is in your client financial account. While we cannot allow future contractor earnings to be used to pay for client work, many of you may not have been ready for this change and were counting on using your balance to pay for your client work. We therefore decided to allow it in the short term. Your current balance that is now in your client financial account will be applied against any future invoices, including today's invoices. If we have made the wrong decision in your case, and if you would instead like to withdraw this balance, please contact our customer service team - they are standing by to help you make these withdrawals. 4. If you are an independent contractor who also has an agency, your balance, as well as your transaction history, has moved to your agency account. You can withdraw funds directly from your agency account by going to Settings > Get Paid. If you believe you fall into a different situation than one listed above, please contact us so that we can help resolve your case. Keep in mind that this was a one-time change. Now that each type of account is separate, future earnings will stay in whichever account they are earned. Please also note that, in the future, money you earn as a contractor cannot be used to pay for work you hire for as a client. Again, we deeply apologize for our mistake. Our desire is to delight our valued customers and we fell short of our own standards this time. We are redoubling our efforts to serve you well in the future. Humbly yours, Stephane Kasriel VP, oDesk Product

Ace Contributor
Waqas T Member Since: Feb 7, 2011
2 of 99
Thanks for the update! But what about 'pending funds', will they be moved to contractor account as well, once they are released (for contractors that come in point 2.)
Dianne L Member Since: Mar 2, 2010
3 of 99
one of my pay period is gone after the updates..i am really worried. I can track this period because i know after i withdrew my money i still have one week remaining pending before the issue came up. An when my balances where returned this pay period is lost . you guys only returned 2 pay periods it would have been 3,,please check coz i keep my records well.
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 99
[quote=Stephane Kasriel]To our valued contractors,[/quote] Funny, I do not feel very valued right now. [Quote] 3. If you are an independent contractor with a client account where you have paid for work in the past 30 days, your balance is in your client financial account. While we cannot allow future contractor earnings to be used to pay for client work, many of you may not have been ready for this change and were counting on using your balance to pay for your client work. We therefore decided to allow it in the short term. [/quote] Sarcasm on: oh how VERY generous of you / sarcasm off. Nonsense. [Quote] Your current balance that is now in your client financial account will be applied against any future invoices, [/quote] No. No.no.no. No That money was moved there without my consent and it had better be moved back where it belongs. Immediately. It will not be used to pay my contractors because that is not how I do it or want to do it. It will be put back where your people took it from so I can withdraw it as planned on Monday. [Quote] including today's invoices. If we have made the wrong decision in your case, and if you would instead like to withdraw this balance, please contact our customer service team - they are standing by to help you make these withdrawals.[/quote] You are JOKING, right? Listen, why do you think people work? They work to earn money and yes, surprisingly enough, they want to withdraw it. What a LAZY inconsiderate ridiculous solution to what was an EPIC *** of .near biblical proportions. Let me suggest another solution: you simply reverse the changes and return EVERYONE's money to where it should be. [Quote]Our desire is to delight our valued customers[/quote] If I wasn't so angry I would think that to be one of the funniest things I have read all year. As it is, don't bother. Just fix this mess. And fix it fast. *[Removed by Admin]
Ace Contributor
Waqas T Member Since: Feb 7, 2011
5 of 99
4. If you are an independent contractor who also has an agency, your balance, as well as your transaction history, has moved to your agency account. You can withdraw funds directly from your agency account by going to Settings > Get Paid. EDIT: There is no 'Get Paid' in the agency, at-least for me.
Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
6 of 99
Hi Waqas, You should see the Get Paid page under your agency. Try this: Select your agency profile from the drop down and then go to User Settings. The Get Paid page will be positioned a little lower than where it usually shows up on the IC profile. Hope this helps!
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
Ghanshyam s Member Since: Mar 11, 2010
7 of 99
What mess you are doing? Its 4days now, and you people are still not able to fix this issue. People are referring to Elance do you think is it good for oDesk. I brought 3of my client to oDesk. But now I m very dispointed due to this issue. REALLY very late
Philin M Member Since: Feb 12, 2010
8 of 99
I can see my pending earnings transferred to my agency account HOWEVER there is a "Name does not match!" warning that deactivated my withdrawal method automatically. I need to withdraw my money tomorrow. Please HELP!
Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
9 of 99
Hi Philin, Please contact Customer Support, they'll take care of the name mismatch issue and then you can withdraw using your regular withdrawal method.
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
Michelle S Member Since: May 23, 2009
10 of 99
There's a redirect loop on the link, so I can't actually get to that page. I haven't used my client account in FOUR YEARS. Now there's over $100 dollars MISSING SOMEWHERE IN THE REDIRECT ETHERS. C'mon oDesk. I've been here so long I don't want to leave, but you keep pushing me out the door like I'm on roller skates. Nothing against you, Ayesha, you are a paragon of patience as always, but I need that money so I can eat and pay bills. I use oDesk so I don't have to spend all my time chasing the money.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS