Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our apologies for the recent transaction and balance confusion

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Aleah T Member Since: Mar 25, 2010
41 of 99
PUT MY MONEY BACK IN MY CONTRACTOR ACCOUNT, FOR GOD'S SAKE! (And yes, the all caps is deliberate. oDesk is not responding to Petra, maybe one more voice would matter. #dreamon)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
42 of 99
You should have checked to see if a person earns more as a contractor than they spent as a client to determine their primary role here. Using the criteria of 'If they hired someone within the last 30 days' to determine to leave the transactions in their client acct. is the poorest logic I have ever seen. Really, I am a programmer and I know they teach you to think better than that in college. Who are you hiring to write this crap? And why the hell are you leaving money in the client acct anyway if they can no longer use it to pay contractors. You are just looking for a way to put the kitty litter over your crap. Maybe you should go into politics.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
43 of 99
This is for those of us with the money "most" stuck - the contractors with a client account that has been active in the last 30 days. If you do nothing, your money, both actual and pending balances, will remain in your CLIENT account indefinitely - the default is for you to spend it on paying your contractors. They "can" move your money to your contractor account MANUALLY, but it is a bit of a fuss. They can ONLY move your ACTUAL available balance - NOT your pending balance. If you want that done you must contact support, preferably by live chat and PRAY you get someone half sensible who speaks some English. You need to spell it out in easy steps and get them to confirm with the finance department every step of the way or it will go wrong (trust me on this one)- Do NOT be fobbed off!!! They will be wanting to send your available balance as a manual withdrawal to your chosen withdrawal method. Unless that is what you actually want DON'T LET THEM (it was nearly done to mine) Now here is the crunch: It is already almost impossible to get through on Chat. I was in a queue for ever! On Wednesday morning thousands and thousands of contractors will find their money missing and try to get through. Things will take for ever, if they get done at all. So I suggest you do it now. Ask them, very specifically, to move your CURRENT balance now, and your PENDING balance when it becomes available on Wednesday. Do NOT let them fob you off - make them go into your account, set it up via their finance department (it took forever but got done) and clarify every step. Ask "What will happen to my ACTUAL balance, where will it be shifted to, and when" and then "What will happen to my PENDING balance, where will it be shifted to and when?" Be nice to them, they are only doing their job, they did not mess this up. I can't stress enough how vital it is to go through this step by step. I very nearly ended up with my actual balance sent to my bank now and nothing happening with my pending balance. Remember they can NOT move your pending balance at the moment, apparently. ONLY manually shift your actual one, and will try to withdraw it (to bank or however you take your money out of oDesk generally) rather than shift it to where it belongs. Also remember that you may well not get through or get anything done on Wednesday so please try and get it sorted beforehand. Kudos to a lovely chap called Mark in Support who let me walk him through it step by step, and who patiently went back and forth to the Finance Department for every step to make sure it will happen correctly. Whether it actually will or not remains to be seen. I will know when I log on Wednesday morning. If it doesn't happen then Wednesday will be a very black, very bleak Wednesday for oDesk and all hell will be breaking loose everywhere. I can't even begin to imagine how people will feel on Wednesday who missed all of this because they don't read the forum. I got next to no work done today, it is now quarter to 9 at night and I only JUST got some answers. This is very, VERY poor indeed.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Julian J Member Since: Aug 5, 2008
44 of 99
I have pending balance only. Withdrew everything before that automatic payment system kicked in. Are you saying they can't do anything for my pending balance before Wednesday?
Highlighted
Community Guru
45 of 99
[quote=Julian J.]I have pending balance only. Withdrew everything before that automatic payment system kicked in. Are you saying they can't do anything for my pending balance before Wednesday?[/quote] They can not move a pending balance, no. Are you in the same boat as I am, a contractor who has a client account that has been active in the last 30 days? When will your pending balance become due or available for withdrawal? You can, if you talk the support person through it nice and slow and carefully, get them to arrange for it to be transferred manually when it becomes due. OR arrange for it to be withdrawn to your payment method. Obviously not until it becomes due. The main problem is the fact that all hell will break loose on Wednesday when all the people who don't read the forum, and don't check their balance daily as I do, figure out that their money is not there. So if you wait until Wednesday it will be difficult to get through and get anything done.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
46 of 99
[quote=Petra R.] They can not move a pending balance, no. [/quote] Actually, my pending earnings are now pending both under my client as well as contractor account (whereas earlier today, they were only pending under my client account so someone must have done something). Not sure how this happened, and it will be interesting to see under which account last weeks earnings will be pending under tomorrow, but they do seem to be actively working on it and they do seem to be able to move pending earnings.
Highlighted
Community Guru
47 of 99
My pending earnings for last week's work are pending in my contractor account, but everything prior to that is pending in my client account Are you sure that what you see in your contractor account as pending is not what became a new pending payment for work during the most recent work week, which ended yesterday? I was told categorically that it is impossible to move pending transactions, only actual balance. Would you check please? I have the payments for the work week that ended yesterday in my contractor account as "pending" Are you saying you see the very same pending transactions once in your contractor account, and once in your client account? This is getting weirder as we go, and also means that I was told nonsense when I was told that there is no way, no how, that pending balances can be shifted.... ...... And down the rabbit hole we go again........ I feel like Alice In Wonderland. Curiouser and Curiouser. All we need now is a Cheshire Cat.......
Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
48 of 99
[quote=Petra R.]My pending earnings for last week's work are pending in my contractor account, but everything prior to that is pending in my client account Are you sure that what you see in your contractor account as pending is not what became a new pending payment for work during the most recent work week, which ended yesterday? I was told categorically that it is impossible to move pending transactions, only actual balance. Would you check please? I have the payments for the work week that ended yesterday in my contractor account as "pending"[/quote] Yes. To clarify, the earnings of the week of July 29th were pending under my client account ever since this mess started and ever since I knew where to look for it. As of an hour or two ago, those very same earnings (week of July 29th) are now also (yes I can see them both under my client as well as contractor account) pending under my contractor account (happy to take a screenshot if that helps). BUT, my earnings of last week (week of Aug. 5th) are not yet pending anywhere which given the fact that yours are, concerns me. This might be because I fall under category 2. while you fall into category 3. Not sure?
Highlighted
Community Guru
49 of 99
[quote=Krisztina U.] This might be because I fall under category 2. while you fall into category 3. Not sure?[/quote] That's why. That is how Stephane said it would happen if you're category 2 so it is how it is supposed to be. Hallelujah... I have 5 active hourly contracts and payments from them usually show up late on Monday. A bonus showed up at lunchtime. I am sure your "last week's earnings" will be in the right account by the morning. It is an automated process. Nothing much can go wrong with that (she says..... kind of not very confidently today.....)
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Maria F Member Since: Feb 1, 2010
50 of 99
This is what makes working on oDesk so interesting! Who needs bungee jumping when we have the oDesk team implementing stuff... It's not that they *-up so oftenly and epically...it's that their solutions and fixes are so unbelievably idiotic that are quite literally brain-freezing. "We made a mistake....do we roll back? NO, we come up with hair-brained ideas and workarounds." I am not going to ask about a staging server, it's obvious by this time that either you don't have one and will never implement one, or you have no idea how to use one. Take your pick, they are both equally bad. But seriously, don't you guys have backups and versioning to roll back to? You're like a cross between Dumb&Dumber and the Energizer Bunny....you keep going dumber and dumber and dumber....
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS