cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Delays over the Holidays 2017-2018

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 5

Over the holidays, Upwork’s automated systems will be processing all requests and transfers normally. However, there can sometimes be slight delays in receiving and withdrawing funds due to bank holidays. This is because banks calculate direct Upwork-to-bank-account payments in business days. Holidays and weekends are not counted as business days.

Upwork operates in over 180 countries, so we must depend on you to be aware of the bank holidays in your own country and plan ahead. Upcoming US bank holidays are:

Christmas Day, Monday, December 25

New Year’s Day, Monday, January 1

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Monday, January 15

Presidents’ Day, Monday, February 19

Memorial Day, Monday, May 28

Independence Day, Wednesday, July 4

Labor Day, Monday, September 3

Veterans’ Day, Monday, November 12

Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 22

Christmas Day, Tuesday, December 25

For more information, check out this Upwork Help Article: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063778-Can-holidays-delay-my-payments-

In particular, banks in the Philippines have very limited business days over the holidays:

Dec 24 : Banks may be open (confirm with your individual bank)

Dec 25: Christmas Day (Holiday)

Dec 26: Banks may be open (confirm with your individual bank)

Dec 27: Banks may be open (confirm with your individual bank)

Dec 28: Banks may be open (confirm with your individual bank)

Dec 29: Banks may be open (confirm with your individual bank)

Dec 30 : Rizal Day (Holiday)

Dec 31: New Year's Eve (Special Non-Working Day)

Jan 1: New Year's Day (Holiday)

Untitled
Ace Contributor
Jorex D Member Since: Nov 17, 2016
2 of 5

Does this also affects the resetting of my connects? I mean, it's been almost half of the day but still my connects haven't reset yet. I know it's far fetch from your post but I can't help but notice the delay on my connects. Thank you.

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
3 of 5

Hi Jorex,

Connect refresh every month. This is not affected by any holiday. Please check your settings page and look under Memberships and Connects to view when your connects will refresh. For more information about connects, please check out this help article.

-Joanne
Untitled
Community Leader
Kristo H Member Since: May 6, 2017
4 of 5

Thank you for the detailed information! That being said, have you considered implementing withdrawals (or even internal currencies within UpWork) in some crypto currency, or just something else than USD?

USD has been going down rapidly at least here where I stay, and currently the contract does not provide meaningful way to avoid the risk. Freelancers are, however, the weakest point, at least when it comes to typical risk takig ability.

Any thoughts?

Have a great new year anyway.

Thank you

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 5

Thanks for your feedback, Kristo. Freelancers in some countries are able to withdraw funds in their local currency. While the team is constantly researching additional ways for freelancers to receive their payments safely and quickly, there are no immediate plans to add crypto currency as a payment method yet.

~ Valeria
Untitled