cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Templates

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
1 of 47

We will soon be launching a new feature that allows freelancers with specialized profiles a more modern way to showcase their work to potential clients – portfolio templates.

Template 1.png

Template selector screen

Freelancers with specialized profiles will be able to choose from three different templates to display their portfolio projects: Gallery, Case Study, and Classic. You’ll find these templates when you add a new portfolio project, and you’ll have the ability to change templates after your projects are published.    

What should I keep in mind before reading on?

All previously published portfolio projects will not change. However, you can easily switch to any of these new templates if you have a specialized profile. Don’t have a specialized profile yet?  Creating one is simple. Go to edit your profile and follow the prompt to create one!

So what are these new templates and how do they work?

Gallery

The Gallery template allows you to exhibit your work with a description underneath a carousel of images and videos.  You’ll be able to add images and videos (.jpg, .gif, .png, and Youtube/Vimeo links).

Template 2.png

Case Study

The Case Study template prompts you to describe the project by framing the problem you set out to solve and the solution you came up with. You can include images and videos (.jpg, .gif, .png, and Youtube/Vimeo links) to better describe the challenge you were addressing and articulate the role you played.

Template 3.png
Template 4.png
Template 5.png

Classic

If you prefer to highlight your work in a scrollable format, the Classic template is for you. This template works best if you are adding files other than images or videos, such as documents and spreadsheets up to 5MB in size. In the near future we will be doubling this limit!

Template 6.png
Template 7.png

We hope this update gives you more freedom and flexibility when choosing how you’d like to display your portfolio work to potential clients. And as always, we’d love to hear your feedback.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Maxim S Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
2 of 47

hi, when will you add the ability to add a project from a portfolio to "Submit a proposal" page?

Screenshot_26.png

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 47

Hi Maxim,

Thank you for the question. We don't have any immediate plans for adding the option you mentioned. 

However, I wanted to clarify that for your specialized profile, you can highlight your expertise. If you don't have a specialized profile already, among other benefits the feature offers you'll be able to show only the Upwork contracts and portfolio items that are most relevant to that particular expertise. 

Community Guru
Cristian B Member Since: Aug 23, 2017
4 of 47

edit: the only thing I don't like about the new way of editing portfolios is the fact that there is not "global" save button, you have to hit NEXT a few times until your reach the PUBLISH option.

Community Guru
5 of 47

I noticed that the cover image can be cropped/resized. Less hassle for us Smiley Happy Didn't notice it initially. Maybe as far a UX it's not perfect, as many users will probably not expect this.

Community Guru
6 of 47

Also, the reorder feature is a bit buggy.

BhaveshKumar S Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
7 of 47

Thanks Valeria & Jennifer for explaining this new feature.

But, sadly, I'm terribly unhappy with this update — according to which it is presumed that all images will be squarish — but that's so not the case in the real world.

Take the attached image comparison for example. The tent card image that you see on the left is how it should appear normally (the way it is currently as it's an old project, please see third-last image here: https://www.upwork.com/fl/bhaveshkumarsuru?p=832570820261408768). But, after the update, the image is rather forced to be squarish or otherwise cropped off mercilessly and meaninglessly. This is the case with all 3 templates — Gallery, Case Study & Classic. It's understood for the cover image, but so not done with the actual project images.

So, in order to display the full image, I'm forced to add "random" white space horizontally to make it squarish, which brings down the size and legibility of the overall image — so disappointing! Imagine doing this for 100s of images — so frustrating!

And what's worse is that I'm again forced to create a specialized profile with the pop-up "Highlight your portfolio", when I click the + icon in the Portfolio section. Obviously, I wouldn't like to be forced into something or else I won't be freelancing in the first place. So, when I click on the "Not Now" link, nothing happens!!! — when I'd only assume and hope that it would let me create a portfolio item via the earlier drag-and-drop method — which was so incredibly user-friendly.

Sorry for being rude, but my only intent was to give my honest review on this unwelcomed new feature, which has made me hit the roadblock.

Please help me find a way.

Thank you so much.

BK Suru

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
8 of 47

Hi BhaveshKumar,

We appreciate that you are giving us your suggestions on how we can improve the process we currently have. I'll be sure to share those with the rest of the team for consideration.

~ Bojan
Untitled
BhaveshKumar S Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
9 of 47

Hi Bojan,

Thank you so much for reading my concern. I really hope there's a solution to this "major" problem at the earliest.

I'd also like to bring to your notice 2 other related problems after the last update to the portfolio section.

PROBLEM 1: The existing projects with shorter images are now having gray spaces added to the height, which is truly out of the blue, and of course, totally unwelcomed. Please see attached screenshot of an existing project.

PROBLEM 2: After creating a specialized profile, I can no longer add any more projects to the general profile, as the interface forces me to add it under a specialty that may not be relevant with the project. And there are many specialties that aren't even listed in the drop-down, as well as there's no option to mention them specifically. Of course I suggested a specialty, but got no response from Upwork.

I think with such problems manifesting to the eye of the potential client, it's about time for me to focus on Behance (or my own website) as a viable alternative for portfolio display, which would be much better to pass on in every communication with future potential clients.

Thank you for your time, and I really hope to see some solutions in the near future.

Best regards,

BK Suru

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 47

Hi BhaveshKumar,

We've checked with the team and can confirm that when you upload your image, you will see a preview which is in a cropped, square size. There is also an edit icon there that will prompt you to adjust the cropped square. If you ignore the edit icon and don't edit the crop, you can publish your portfolio and the images will be displayed in the original ratio (not a square). Please try uploading your image again and let us know if you're able to publish the image in the original size, without cropping it.

Our team is working on further improvements and streamlining the process.