Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pricing Announcement Follow-Up

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
21 of 1,295

@Dana S wrote:

What I don't understand is why wait for everyone to get upset? Why not share those details from the beginning?

The good old American approach, top down. 

Ace Contributor
Robson G Member Since: Feb 20, 2016
22 of 1,295

Dana, they already explained in this post.

Here's the Upwork's CEO Stephane Kasriel's message discussing the new pricing.

"Expect the best today and always." - Robson Grant
Taimur S Member Since: Jun 15, 2016
23 of 1,295

Firstly, the CEO could not face the camera.... that says it all

Secondly,

"ONE OF THE BIGGEST COST IN OUR BUSINESS IS THE PAYMENT FEES"

And that is no-where more than 3% (Paypal, CC etc)

Thirdly, "We incur a lot of cost"???? Mind elaborating????

The freelancers already signup for packages... the clients now also pay the processing fee...

3rdly, "long term projects were siginificantly less expensive".... does that not make up for the relatively-more-expensive projects???

Valerie M Member Since: Aug 7, 2015
24 of 1,295

This may be true (hard to believe though) but where money is made is in repeat clients and relationships built starting small, you now have given every freelancer and client a reson to avoid UpWork unless they can swallow this price increase. UpWork, just like providers and clients, benefit from a long lasting fruitful relationship, thats insane to think that you are encouraging it by simply offering a discount at 10k. I closed my my acount today, its a sad day but UpWork forced my hand. 

Emmanuel C Member Since: Jan 27, 2016
25 of 1,295

Publishers loose money with some authors, and earn a lot with others.

Taimur S Member Since: Jun 15, 2016
26 of 1,295

Why not explain right now?????

Marcel H Member Since: Nov 1, 2016
27 of 1,295

How can this be though? You have SO many small jobs going around and can hire one fte for every 12 you put to work. (Or for every 4 with the new rates). I do not have a clear estimate of the total amount of fte you put to work, but it must be quite a lot. Sure, there's overhead and hardware and software too. I also work in software development and we definitely do not have 10 or even 20% overhead on top of the cost for people. Maybe you should hire developers on your own platform (they're very cheap too!).

Fabrice R Member Since: May 4, 2016
28 of 1,295

of course they do not say the truth as they do not mind

Kumar A Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
29 of 1,295

This page says Upwork does $1B+ work annually:

https://www.upwork.com/about/

Now with new 20% cut for <$500 relationships and 2.75% fees for all projects from clients (or $25/month fees) Upwork must be expecting $100M+ extra profits this year. I hope this amount is going to be enough for your managers to fulfill their greed.

It would be interesting to see if they update the about page next year same time keeping the 20% cut. 10M+ registered freelancers currently, with 20% cut I expect 80% cut in the total freelancers number and these will be the freelancers who actually make money (not the ones strugglling to get their initial few jobs). 

Shariful I Member Since: Feb 12, 2015
30 of 1,295

Why didn't Elance lose money on 8.75% fee?

- Simply beause Upwork going to be a epic-fall sooner or later.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS