cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pricing Announcement Follow-Up

Dana S Member Since: Mar 4, 2015
31 of 1,295

It would be good if Upwork explained how they lose money on every contract. If Upwork explained how they determined that the majority of people earned >$10,000 on Upwork.

If we can see their analysis and how they came to their conclusion, then we might not agree but at least maybe understand. Isn't that what transparency is about?

Employee
Rich P Employee Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
32 of 1,295

Hi Dana,

Thanks for bringing this up - we plan to be transparent about where we are spending and losing money and will share details in the Town Hall meetings this week.

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
33 of 1,295

@Dana S wrote:

It would be good if Upwork explained how they lose money on every contract. If Upwork explained how they determined that the majority of people earned >$10,000 on Upwork.

If we can see their analysis and how they came to their conclusion, then we might not agree but at least maybe understand. Isn't that what transparency is about?

Dana, nobody ever said the majority of people. It's most probably the majority of the revenue. The Pareto principle will apply here too, 20% of the clients are responsible for 80% of the revenue. Looking at it from the freelancer perspective it ought to be the same, 20% or the freelancers are responsible for 80% of the revenue. 

Ace Contributor
Mary Janet M Member Since: May 10, 2016
34 of 1,295

Maybe they did.  Maybe that is why they got swallowed up. 

I have a lot of concern about the stability here, as it is a main source of my finding good clients without having to pay an up front subscription fee before checking out what type of people are posting jobs. I've found good clients here. I don't want it to collapse. 

I'd really like to know how the money is being spent, and have some assurance that there is capital. I have seen too many businesses tank suddenly since 2008, and it would be nice to know that a platform I depend upon is solid. 

Ace Contributor
Alfonsina S Member Since: Oct 10, 2015
35 of 1,295

I really don´t know ...but something wasn´t working for sure since they sold the platform. 

Although I do believe 20% is way too much.

Instead of doing that, why not put a minimum of at least $20 per fixed price and $20 per hour...that way you can avoid those horrible exploitation. 

I saw a contract that was paid 0.67 per hour. 
Really?  That should be penalice... 

Rochel M Member Since: May 4, 2016
36 of 1,295

Has it ever been considered to include a fee for posting jobs, like more legit freelancing sites do? There are quite a few scams on the site and I've noticed more since Elance became part of Upwork. There are also plenty of job postings that never interview or hire anyone. Wouldn't this help to balance out any budget issues for Upwork without putting the majority of the burden on freelancers?

Ace Contributor
Steven B Member Since: Aug 4, 2015
37 of 1,295

OH MY GOODNESS!  YES! YES!  

What a great idea!  Discourage the scams, the "help me do my homework" projects which slip through the filters, and the various other contracts that get posted but end up expiring without anyone being hired.

Employee
Rich P Employee Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
38 of 1,295

Great Idea Rochel, and yes, we are working on something like this.  The payment fee that we added for Clients was meant to balance this out.

Ace Contributor
Steven B Member Since: Aug 4, 2015
39 of 1,295

Not good enough.  Reverse the 100% fee increase and come up with a better solution.

Rochel M Member Since: May 4, 2016
40 of 1,295

My name is Rochel and adding to both sides is not the definition of balancing.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS