cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pricing Announcement Follow-Up

Taimur S Member Since: Jun 15, 2016
51 of 1,295
"Has it ever been considered to include a fee for posting jobs, like more legit freelancing sites do? There are quite a few scams on the site and I've noticed more since Elance became part of Upwork. There are also plenty of job postings that never interview or hire anyone. Wouldn't this help to balance out any budget issues for Upwork without putting the majority of the burden on freelancers?"

@Rich P wrote:

Great Idea Rochel, and yes, we are working on something like this.  The payment fee that we added for Clients was meant to balance this out.

How does it balances anything??? The case is to prevent fake-clients or fake-jobs from getting posted, so the freelancers do not waste time on these posts and the clients are more obliged to award jobs.
How about charing clients a fee at the time of job posting and later adjust it in the total fee they pay. If the job is not awarded the initial charges a booked.
Michael N Member Since: May 11, 2016
52 of 1,295

@Taimur S wrote:
"Has it ever been considered to include a fee for posting jobs, like more legit freelancing sites do? There are quite a few scams on the site and I've noticed more since Elance became part of Upwork. There are also plenty of job postings that never interview or hire anyone. Wouldn't this help to balance out any budget issues for Upwork without putting the majority of the burden on freelancers?"

@Rich P wrote:

Great Idea Rochel, and yes, we are working on something like this.  The payment fee that we added for Clients was meant to balance this out.

How does it balances anything??? The case is to prevent fake-clients or fake-jobs from getting posted, so the freelancers do not waste time on these posts and the clients are more obliged to award jobs.
How about charing clients a fee at the time of job posting and later adjust it in the total fee they pay. If the job is not awarded the initial charges a booked.

Not sure this works. I get that applying for jobs that don't get awarded sucks (and yeh, scams suck as well, but as a freelancer, you should be able to work out what's likely a scam and then simply don't apply).

But charging a client to post a job and then get penalised if they don't get a suitable applicant? Maybe some jobs aren't filled because they feel no applicants fit what they need?

In the real world, that would be the same as me going to a meeting, spending an hour with a potential client and then having them go hmm, sorry, we've decided to hold of and me going ok no worries, I'll send you the invoice for our intial meeting...that would be pretty hard to do. 

Even getting clients to pay for an upfront Roadmapping session can be difficult (although there's ways to get it to work, but take time). 

Applying for jobs and not getting them is sadly the part of running your own business. 

A better option would be to penalise repeat offenders who post many jobs never award, or get reported by freelancers for scamming. 

A small charge won't prevent scammers, but it will scare away, or make genuine clients think twice, about posting their job on here. 

Ace Contributor
Stephen S Member Since: Aug 27, 2015
53 of 1,295

3021307-inline-fb-thumbsup-printpackaging.jpg

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
54 of 1,295

@Rochel M wrote:

Has it ever been considered to include a fee for posting jobs, like more legit freelancing sites do? There are quite a few scams on the site and I've noticed more since Elance became part of Upwork. There are also plenty of job postings that never interview or hire anyone. Wouldn't this help to balance out any budget issues for Upwork without putting the majority of the burden on freelancers?

Some time ago I suggested the following scheme:

- Let clients use Upwork without fee for about 3 months

- After three months charge a fee of $5 per posting

- Reimburse the $5 if the job is awarded on Upwork

This way serious clients can still use the site for free and those never awarding jobs (most likely many simply cut out Upwork) go away. 

Benny B Member Since: May 9, 2015
55 of 1,295

Setting a fee for posting jobs would be a good idea, it would also eliminate all those job posters who don't hire on Upwork or who don't actually know what they want (but make us waste our credits and, in many cases, after starting to interview us, disappear). 

I also have another suggestion: setting a much higher fee for those companies with low hiring rate, which will decrease once they hire more freelancers through Upwork (meaning the greater the higher rate, the smaller the fee paid). 

Benny

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
56 of 1,295

Of course, something to do.
Right now I have come into a job that I kept because I had "Flag as inappropriate".
Still there. The "client" has "EIGHT" job ads with the same title (with a little added at the end to not appear to be the same) and the same requirements.
I flagged but, for what?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
57 of 1,295

Hi Maria,

Could you please send me the link to the job post you've flagged in a personal message?

Community Guru
58 of 1,295

Hi Vladimir,

I have sent it.

This does not happen, it depends on you. But, as is still happening, at least make something when "mark" a job.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
59 of 1,295

Hi Maria,

Thanks for the link. I've checked and do see the client has posted a few duplicate jobs. I'll ask our team to remove the duplicates and follow up with the client, to make sure they are using the correct procedure when posting jobs on Upwork.

I don't see anything in the job post description that violates our ToS so please follow up on your personal message if you have any additional information that would help our team in reviewing this job.

Community Guru
60 of 1,295

Thanks Vladimir.
You say that the description does not violate your TOS.
According but does not violate the regulations to double or triple or more ads work?
If I have marked as "phishing / fraud" it is because there is an option of "duplicate job" for example.
Nor is there an "Other" option that allows write the reason we mark the post of work, for example, "a lot of work for little money", "budget too low", "minimal explanation of requirements", "he has forgotten to attach image referenced ", etc ...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS