Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pricing Announcement Follow-Up

Tony E Member Since: May 5, 2016
81 of 1,295

@Lena E wrote:

Tony,

If you are implying that the lowest bid is who the client chooses, thats not necessarily true. In fact, I've seen posts from numerous freelancers in this Community whose rates are one of the highest in their category, that are continously hired. 

-Lena

Lena,

Thank you for your response. It's a shining example of UpWork's inability to hear what the community is trying to say. Can I see any facts to back up your statement? Can you show us the numbers? Sorry. That's unfair. I know UpWork is not 'prepared' to show us any real numbers to back up their claims. But if you want facts from me, I present to you the 100+ pages of negative comments posted in the community forum and the 100's of people right here in this discussion that are saying exactly the opposite of what you just said.

I know this is not your fault. You're just the one that has to deal with the vitriolic aftermath of a decision made by an out-of-touch CEO. I just hope UpWork is not taking 20% percent out of your paycheck and then charging you 2.75% to transfer the money to your bank account. Or if they are, make sure you increase your fee.

Employee
Rich P Employee Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
82 of 1,295

Hi Tony,

We'll be sharing more details on our costs next week at the Town Hall meetings. 

Fabrice R Member Since: May 4, 2016
83 of 1,295

if you loose money you might think of changing of activity

Kumar A Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
84 of 1,295

I do not understand how is Upwork loosing money on smaller jobs of say $100. Are you saying that if a client does 50 jobs of value $10 with same freelancer and crosses $500 then it becomes more profitable rather than one job of $200? Is it so hard to get some job related data saved in the database? Is it so hard to setup the messaging system? We can always use skype or google hangouts if that's the case. Just let us know and revert back the decision. Other systems worked for years on lower rates and are still working.

This just sounds an excuse to raise your profits and that too suddenly by more than 100% (remember 2.75% charges to clients now as well). I am glad to see someone with more authority than a moderator answering our queries but the situation remains the same! You can now talking about the Town Hall trying to make us feel that this decision is correct and Upwork has logic/proofs for it. We are smart enough to reliaze the truth and trust me that Upwork will see the results within an year if the decision is not reverted. And even if you revert back the decision after 6 months it will go in vain since the trust will be lost (in fact I am loosing trust already). 

Mark B Member Since: Feb 4, 2016
85 of 1,295

Just keep the small projects divided from the search results that experienced freelancers get. Have new members earn their way to good reviews on the platform with small projects, as opposed to having them bid on projects, not get anywhere, and leaving. 

The project escrow is a great idea. The more ways to filter out scammers, the better. 

Charles J Member Since: May 28, 2016
86 of 1,295

Actually it is NOT acceptable for low priced jobs such as this...end of story. I came here from Elance and have been appauled by the $$$ amounts I am seeing for "projects"...it is a JOKE.

Make it simple, add a $1-2 fee to post per job (this is easy and cheap, but weeds out some crap), MAKE limits on job pricing (no more $5 to convert PSD to wordpress...this should be about $8-10/hr or $25....again NOONE makes money on $5 jobs...We should be able to ask questions before commiting "connects", there should be flags for stuff like no files attached, they are out of their minds to ask for X for $Y, etc. Mnay jobs need clarification and should not "cost" me to ask the questions.

If you want to have a rising scale, fine...make it reasonable...and really you are tripple dipping now, fee form poster, fee to buy connects and then final value fee....this is worse than Ebay.

This isn't that hard, but you gotta take the risk like the freelnacers do (ie both should have skin in the game...yours being lower fees to get a larger market share of jobs...heck you keep buying all the freelancer sites anyways). And for God's Sake...STOP allowing people to pay **Edited for Community Guidelines** wages...you want to be professional, great, $5 for a logo is not it....

Ace Contributor
Lisa F Member Since: Apr 16, 2016
87 of 1,295

Getting rid of scam, low paying jobs that insult the skills and quality of work of your freelancers seems extreme but charging us out of jobs doesn't? I'm sorry but there is no logical rationale for that.

It makes no sense logically or businesswise ESPECIALLY when you have so many obvious complaints and opposition.

Ellen Bain P Member Since: Jul 4, 2015
88 of 1,295

Well, it also seems "a little extreme"  to me to double your fees from one month to the next.

Janeen S Member Since: May 6, 2016
89 of 1,295

I'm sorry - you don't think that taking TWENTY PERCENT OF MY EARNINGS is "a little extreme?" I think it's a LOT extreme and is effectively going to eliminate the small jobs that you say you don't want anyway. You're killing those jobs by killing the freelancers who want to do them.

Here's my biggest question: If you don't want to be bothered with "little" jobs of $500.00 or less, then why the *bleep* did you get into the freelance market in the first place? The vast majority of it IS "little" jobs of under $500.00!!! If fat money is the goal, why not get into some other line of work that will make you fat money without destroying OUR means of scraping out a living?

"A little extreme - " I think I'm going to die laughing. And broke.

Employee
Rich P Employee Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
90 of 1,295

Hi Janeen,

I'm sorry as I didn't mean to insult you or anyone else here.  I'm just stating what's true - we lose money on jobs <$500.  We want Upwork to be around for a long-time and by raising our rates to 20% on these relationships- while decreasing the rates to 5% on relationships with lifetime earnings over $10,000 - we help ensure this.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS