🐈
» Forums » Bulletin Board » Proof of earnings for US government relief ef...
Page options
lenaellis
Community Member

Proof of earnings for US government relief efforts

Throughout the COVID-19 crisis, one thing that has been noticeable here in the Community forums is the camaraderie and willingness to help one another. Whether you are sharing information about resources in your state or trying to help someone find the answers they need where they’re located. 

It's a lot to navigate and we are here to help. We created this COVID-19 Resource page to help pull together the available federal, state, and local US resources that may apply to you. We will continue to update this resource page as we identify new resources and tools to support your business during this challenging time.

We are here to help you with the documentation you may need to apply for assistance. 

Under the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program, individuals who have lost work may be eligible for unemployment insurance during the COVID-19 outbreak, even if they are self-employed as a freelancer or otherwise.

If you are a freelancer and wish to apply for unemployment insurance and need proof of earnings, Upwork can provide you with a copy of any 1099-K or 1099-MISC form that has been issued to you. 

If you did not receive a 1099-K or 1099-MISC form from us for 2019 (we only send one when certain IRS criteria is met), we can still issue you one upon request. Just contact Upwork Support by going to the Help Center, clicking "Get Help" at the bottom of your screen. 

In addition, some small businesses that use Upwork as clients or freelancers may be eligible for a Payment Protection Program (PPP) loan or an Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL). 

The PPP provides small loans to small businesses in order to continue to pay their payrolled employees, independent contractors, mortgage, rent, or utilities. PPP loans will be forgiven if used for an authorized purpose under the terms of the loan.

The EIDL program provides loans of up to $10,000 to small businesses that are facing decreased revenue due to COVID-19.

Upwork will provide any documentation we can in order to support your application,  if you choose to make one. For complete details, see the Small Business Administration’s information on PPP and information on EIDL.

These programs are based in the US only, but if you are located elsewhere and need any further assistance with documentation for your local programs, please let us know and we will be happy to help.

Untitled
13 REPLIES 13
sue250
Community Member

You will issue 1099 if a contractor made 17,000?  

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Susan,

If you did not receive a 1099-K or 1099-MISC form from us for 2019 (we only send when certain IRS criteria is met), we can issue you one upon request. Please contact our support team by clicking Get Help at the bottom of this page.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan, in English your statement is highly ambiguous.

Will Upwork send freelancers a 1099 form upon request, regardless of whether you meet the IRS criteria?

Or do you have to meet the IRS criteria to receive a 1099 upon request? 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alexander, 

I'm sorry if the verbiage is confusing for you. I can confirm that even if a US freelancer didn't qualify for a1099-K or 1099-MISC last year because of not meeting the requirements listed here, we can issue you a copy upon request. 

~ Avery
Upwork
dlourie
Community Member

How can I request  a 1099?

Hi Donna, 

Thanks for reaching out. One of our agents has opened a support request to assist you with your concerns and answer your questions. You should receive an email notification about it but can also access it here

~ Valeria
Upwork

There is nothing at the bottom of this page that indicates how to request a 1099 MISC.

(Was replying to Bojan's post above)

I'd like Upwork to provide me with a 1099-MISC so that I can file my tax return. Can someone please getin touch with me about this? Have been going in circles with the chat bot with no resolution.

Hi, I did not receive a 1099 from Upwork, so I am having to enter the information myself. I need the U.S. Federal ID number for Upwork as well as an address for Upwork so I may complete my taxes. Please help!

Hi Lauren and Kerry,

I've shared your request with the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork

The team member who replied to my request for information merely told me that Upwork was not legally required to issue a 1099, and thus would not share their Federal I.D. number so that I could generate my own 1099. Which was not very helpful.

Elsewhere on Upwork (when searching from Google, not within this community's search function), I was able to find out that we need to report it on the Schedule C as Gross Receipts or Sales NOT reported on a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC. I found this place on the Schedule C Worksheet in Turbotax so now I know for next year, no thanks to Upwork, though.

I am really surprised that Upwork will not issue a 1099 even though I pay them 10 to 20 percent of my earnings. 

This is not tax advice for anyone. 

susandobridge
Community Member

Hello, What is Upwork's Tax ID? What is Upwork's address for tax purposes? You must provide this legally. Please respond. 

NikolaS

Hi Susan,

I shared your request with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths