cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality Update - Agencies

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 9

By now most of you are aware of the measures we’ve been taking to elevate the level of quality in the Upwork marketplace. We continue to communicate and work with freelancers and clients whose recent activity detracts from the level of professionalism and great work you all expect.

We’ve evolved our process quite a bit from our initial efforts to improve quality. We now spend more time communicating upfront with freelancers and clients before any action is taken on their account and we’ve launched the My Stats dashboard to all freelancers so you can better track and manage your performance.

Update:

In the coming days we’re going to begin introducing some of these efforts specifically to freelancer Agencies. We will be communicating with Agency managers first and foremost because Agency managers are responsible for adding/removing and otherwise directing their teams. You are also ultimately responsible the job outcomes achieved by your Agency. As an Agency manager, we count on you to guide your team to great results and we know you take this responsibility seriously. That’s why we’re reaching out to you first.

Low-performing Agencies and Agency managers will begin receiving messages directly from our team, with clear instructions and timing to address any concerns in their work activity as indicated by their performance and by their clients.

Like individual freelancers, most Agencies are good. With this effort, the vast majority of Agencies will be unaffected. These efforts will only touch Agencies where there are performance concerns and we will give ample warning so that no one is surprised should any action be taken on an account.

Our approach in addressing these performance concerns with Agencies is similar to what we’re doing with individual freelancers who warrant this outreach. That is, we’ll send email notices directly to Agency managers notifying them of performance concerns and providing them with guidance on areas for improvement. We’ll also notify team members so they’re aware of the situation. Finally, if these efforts are unsuccessful we will take the unfortunate action of closing these Agency accounts.

Timing:

This outreach will start in the coming days. We’ll do our best to respond quickly to any questions and concerns from affected users. Thank you for your help in making this the best place to work.

Community Guru
Khadezatul K Member Since: May 1, 2015
2 of 9

Thank you Garnor

Sathish G Member Since: Dec 23, 2009
3 of 9

Hi,

We did receive the message however when we replied asking for what exactly was the issue, we simply got back a generic response with policy guidelines. 

There is no clear personalized reply. I can share you all the ticket IDs.  So if a agency is not performing and if you were to bring it to their attention, you should also be able to clearly tell them what exactly is causing this and how can this be addressed . 

Also the job success rate for agency seems flawed as if we post 10 jobs and if we hire just on two, does that make it 20% success rate? What is the others 8 jobs we posted, we did not find the right candidate. Isnt the issue with the freelancers quality and why should the agency job success be affected?

Harendra S Member Since: Jun 7, 2015
4 of 9

Hi everyone!

Just writing this express my rancor with how Upwork is working or let's say not working at all!

Our agency account was suspended yesterday - our owner's account was suspended as well, we were told "it's on temporary hold and will be lifted after follow up".

We did not violate any policies and are strictly careful about this, so we were confident about the process. But in morning we get same copy-paste email that all folks got here.

That our account is suspended due to "serious policy violations". Our owner and agency had total money accounting to $3000. In some projects, clients had provided upfronts. They didn't care to explain about our financial earnings, nor about why we got suspended.

I can agree to the point that it's their business, they can kick us anytime - it's alright! But what about our money? We know, each client paid us very happily. Had job success rate of 83%. Now our agency account are totally blocked - not able to operate it all.

How can they keep our money? How is that okay? It wasn't disputed money. Our clients are shocked at this. Most of them asking us how can we work in future. Yes, that's how we worked - with strategy of customer satisfaction as priority.

We don't feel sad about it, we can move on. But we need reason, they can kick us if we violate policies, but we need to know if we did. And about the money? That's aweful, on any grounds it's rediculous to block funds and not even explain about it. We didn't scam any one, we didn't commit fellony, we are normal workers, with families.

We didn't even get any single warning. We only had one problem till this date, that too about an year ago.

A request to moderators and community gurus here. Of course, you cannot unblock us, you don't even know us - but you can request Upwork to re-check us, explain us what they are required to.

Ask us, how it feels - we live in place where we work covered with sweat all night to earn this money. Our families are on medicines. If we didn't violate any policy - we don't deserve this treatment, at least we deserve reasons and money we earned.

These days - they suspend your account and you can't access community even. But these are good policies, it's exaggaeration - see the folks who actually work hard - who are pround of Upwork, who have been working for years.

Thanks,
Harendra

Harendra S Member Since: Jun 7, 2015
5 of 9

Hi everyone!

Our agency account was suspended yesterday. They suspended our account and are treating us like we did some sort of fraud.
Customer rarely responds. They have blocked $3000 of our hard work and didn't even
refund payments and milestones of our clients. When contacted,
they said we did serious policy violations,
and funny thing is they sent same messages to every one. 

We did not violate any policies and are strictly careful about this, so we were confident about the process.
But in morning we get same copy-paste email that all folks got here.

I can agree to the point that it's their business, they can kick us anytime - it's alright! But what about our money?
We know, each client paid us very happily. Had job success rate of 83%.
Now our agency account are totally blocked - not able to operate it all.

How can they keep our money? How is that okay? It wasn't disputed money.
Our clients are shocked at this. Most of them asking us how can we work in future.
Yes, that's how we worked - with strategy of customer satisfaction as priority.

Ask us, how it feels - we live in place where we work covered with sweat all night to earn this money.
Our families are on medicines. If we didn't violate any policy - we don't deserve this treatment,
at least we deserve reasons and money we earned.

These days - they suspend your account and you can't access community even. But these are good policies,
it's exaggaeration - see the folks who actually work hard - who are pround of Upwork, who have been working for years.

Thanks,
Harendra

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 9

Hi Harendra,

I have checked the situation with your agency account and I saw that there were a number of policy violations connected to it. Each time your agency was notified about the violation and if needed asked to sign documents confirming that the policies are understood. However, during the recent review conducted by Upwork Team it was found that the performance of your agency had not improved, therefore the difficult decision to close your agency account was made. 

Thank you for understanding.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Zulqarnain A Member Since: Jun 29, 2008
7 of 9

Great but where is My Stats dashboard?

How can I access it?

Best Wishes Zulqarnain Ansari (Zain)
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 9

Hi Zulqarnain,

You should be able to access My Stats page if you go to your freelancer profile and go to Find Work > My Stats. Currently My Stats page is available only for individual freelancers and not available for agencies.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Umar F Member Since: Jun 14, 2011
9 of 9

A month ago I received a message from upwork stating that my Agency has been Flagged for underperforming, upon few correspondances with the upwork staff and after having them re-evaluate my agency they kept their initial decision as final to ban my agency from working in future

What I do not understand is if you look at the agency's recent activity you would get the idea that either the Algorithm which upwork is using is buggy or they are not looking into the problem as they should be

How you say? Here are the facts about my agency

1. My agency and all the contractors havnt worked on any project for over a year, we did not take any new contracts and did not close any previous contracts

2. There was only one open contract but we stopped working on that for over a year, upwork asked me to close that contract and wait while the client gives you feedback then we will be able to perform another Review of your Agency.

3. I close that contract and got a 5/5 rating as I had worked with that employer on many different projects and he was always more then happy with our work.

4. The total rating of my agency over 3 years time had been above 4.5. 

Now when they finally reviewed my agency's performance they told me that its still underperforming 

What I do not understand is HOW can a contractor or any agency underperform when they have not worked on ANY contracts for well over a year?

I really need help on this particular problem, as my agency is my life and blood and I have spend way too many hard working hours on it, I for one can not see it getting a BAN without any SOLID reason.

(If my post is at the wrong place can the moderator move it to the right place)

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS