Did you mean: 

Re: Redesigned community for mobile optimization

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
221 of 244

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Michel,

Please check the clarification Valeria posted earlier on this thread and note that the option you're referring to wasn't available in the old design, it just mimicked the reply to OP option and that's why it was removed in the updated layout.

Yeah, but we want that button back, as mentioned earlier in the thread by several people. Otherwise we have to navigate all the way to the beginning of a topic to add a general reply, or just pick a random comment to reply to instead. The functionality was only redundant on the first page of a thread - 20 pages later, it's basic convenience.

I'm adding this to the punchlist.

michael_skaggs
Community Guru
Michael S Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
222 of 244

Ok, trying this again for what feels like the hundredth time. Aside from my gripes about basic functionality, I do have several technical items to add to the punchlist...

• No PNG support.

• Image previews take a ridiculously long time to load compared to their file sizes.

• Image flags for posts/comments containing a link, and link flags for those with attached images.

• "This widget could not be displayed" all over the place when logged in. Happens on mobile and on desktop.

• Common keyboard shortcuts (new tab, close tab, etc.) don't work when Community tab is in focus.

• Upwork Community header leads to main Upwork page instead of Upwork Community.

• Extraneous, non-functional "Post" buttons when creating replies. When editing, you get TWO such buttons (see attached image).

• Mobile interface menu lags horribly when logged in. It takes approx. 15 seconds to show anything other than a blank space where the content should be. When not logged in, menu items appear instantly. Link to video because embedding feature is broken (see below): https://youtu.be/-zBSyoTgZS0

• ZERO feedback on mobile when menu items are tapped.

• Adding photos/video via the Rich Text editor is apparently broken. Replies will go through and your post count will increase, but the reply itself disappears completely. "Go to your post" only takes you to the last post in the thread before yours. And nothing shows up in your "Recent Posts" list, either. This has happened to me MULTIPLE times.

• Rich Text editor has a habit of generating bad HTML. On several occasions I'll hit post, and it will warn me of “Invalid HTML” being stripped out.

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
223 of 244

@Michael S wrote:

Ok, trying this again for what feels like the hundredth time. Aside from my gripes about basic functionality, I do have several technical items to add to the punchlist...

• No PNG support.

I can use PNGs inline just fine. Attachment images don't load at all when I view them in others' posts - too many redirects.

michael_skaggs
Community Guru
224 of 244

@Jess C wrote:

@Michael S wrote:

• No PNG support.

I can use PNGs inline just fine. Attachment images don't load at all when I view them in others' posts - too many redirects.

Interesting. Last time I tried attaching a PNG file, I got an error about "unsupported image format", and a list of what WAS supported. PNG wasn't on the list.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
225 of 244

This is a .png file......

support.png

michael_skaggs
Community Guru
226 of 244

@Pandora H wrote:

This is a .png file......

support.png

Not denying that. I'm saying that the last time I tried to attach one, it told me that wasn't supported. Apparently they fixed that much, at least.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
227 of 244

Sigh.

I was not implying that you were wrong.

I have seen several "can't upload .png files" reports so I thought what heck, I'll show that it's possible. 

Probably was fixed on the sly, but I can report that .png's have worked for at least a week or so. Beyond that, not sure.

michael_skaggs
Community Guru
228 of 244

Didn't mean to come across as brusque. My apologies if it seemed that way.

Guess PNG is one item that can be crossed off the punchlist. Now if they'd just do something about the ones that are far more...annoying. Some of which are (IMO) simply poor UX decisions.

lenaellis
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
229 of 244
Hey Michael I commented on some items on your list below please provide details on some of the issues, and let me know if your settings fixes some of the others. 

@Michael S wrote:

• No PNG support. PNG is supported, if you see an error please PM a screenshot so we can check for you. 

• Image previews take a ridiculously long time to load compared to their file sizes. I'm not experiencing this on my end. 

• Image flags for posts/comments containing a link, and link flags for those with attached images. There are icons to show when a post contains a link or image, they're displayed on the right of the post. Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 7.25.38 AM.png

• "This widget could not be displayed" all over the place when logged in. Happens on mobile and on desktop. We have found the issue may be in your settings, go to Preferences: Display> and under dates it should be set to default relative dates, if you've set it to something else, that may be causing the "This widget could not be displayed" error. Let me know if that fixed it. 

• Common keyboard shortcuts (new tab, close tab, etc.) don't work when Community tab is in focus.

• Upwork Community header leads to main Upwork page instead of Upwork Community. When clicking on the Upwork logo it goes to the mainsite, there is already a "Community Home" link in the navigation, we would find it to be redundant to put two links to the home page right next to each other. 

• Extraneous, non-functional "Post" buttons when creating replies. When editing, you get TWO such buttons (see attached image). Again, this may be an issue with your settings, do you have the "Quick Reply" option selected in your display preferences? Quick Reply produces another reply button. 

• Mobile interface menu lags horribly when logged in. It takes approx. 15 seconds to show anything other than a blank space where the content should be. When not logged in, menu items appear instantly. Link to video because embedding feature is broken (see below): https://youtu.be/-zBSyoTgZS0 Not able to reproduce but will escalate your concern and video. 

• ZERO feedback on mobile when menu items are tapped. Menu items are not working for you on mobile? Specific ones or all of them? Im not able to reproduce, Which phone model and version are you using?

• Adding photos/video via the Rich Text editor is apparently broken. Replies will go through and your post count will increase, but the reply itself disappears completely. "Go to your post" only takes you to the last post in the thread before yours. And nothing shows up in your "Recent Posts" list, either. This has happened to me MULTIPLE times. Is this on the main site or on mobile that you experience this?

• Rich Text editor has a habit of generating bad HTML. On several occasions I'll hit post, and it will warn me of “Invalid HTML” being stripped out. This issue was present with our previous design too, frequently when copying and pasting text from elsewhere. However, you should still be able to post the content despite the error. 

Untitled
michael_skaggs
Community Guru
230 of 244

@Lena E wrote:
  • Image previews take a ridiculously long time to load compared to their file sizes. I'm not experiencing this on my end. 

It seems to happen with attached images, but only intermittently. I've seen 150kb jpeg attachments take several seconds to load in the preview window.
  • Image flags for posts/comments containing a link, and link flags for those with attached images. There are icons to show when a post contains a link or image, they're displayed on the right of the post. Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 7.25.38 AM.png

I know what the icons are for. What I'm saying is that in the Recent Posts list, I noticed one where I had an attached image, the flag showed as it contained a link. Another post where I only had a link included, it showed the flag for an attached image. I can't locate the exact posts right now, because "Show All" seems to remove all flags from the list of posts.
  • "This widget could not be displayed" all over the place when logged in. Happens on mobile and on desktop. We have found the issue may be in your settings, go to Preferences: Display> and under dates it should be set to default relative dates, if you've set it to something else, that may be causing the "This widget could not be displayed" error. Let me know if that fixed it. 

This does fix it, but if a setting that's allowed to be changed breaks things, then that setting itself is broken and neeeds to be fixed.

Any word on this one?
  • Upwork Community header leads to main Upwork page instead of Upwork Community. When clicking on the Upwork logo it goes to the mainsite, there is already a "Community Home" link in the navigation, we would find it to be redundant to put two links to the home page right next to each other. 

Then perhaps remove the "Community" part from the logo header? It's rather redundant to have that adjacent to "Community Home" in the page header.
  • Extraneous, non-functional "Post" buttons when creating replies. When editing, you get TWO such buttons (see attached image). Again, this may be an issue with your settings, do you have the "Quick Reply" option selected in your display preferences? Quick Reply produces another reply button. 

Again, if changing a setting causes undesirable behavior, the setting is broken, and needs to be fixed.
  • Mobile interface menu lags horribly when logged in. It takes approx. 15 seconds to show anything other than a blank space where the content should be. When not logged in, menu items appear instantly. Link to video because embedding feature is broken (see below): https://youtu.be/-zBSyoTgZS0 Not able to reproduce but will escalate your concern and video. 

• ZERO feedback on mobile when menu items are tapped. Menu items are not working for you on mobile? Specific ones or all of them? Im not able to reproduce, Which phone model and version are you using?

They work, but there's no visual feedback to show that you actually selected one of them. Most mobile designs offer some way of acknowledging a tap, be it a quick color inversion, highlighting, or something similiar. If you look at the video, you will see that the only indication that I tapped the "Logout" button was the indicator placed by my screen recording software. For reference, Galaxy S7 Edge with Mozilla Firefox.
  • Adding photos/video via the Rich Text editor is apparently broken. Replies will go through and your post count will increase, but the reply itself disappears completely. "Go to your post" only takes you to the last post in the thread before yours. And nothing shows up in your "Recent Posts" list, either. This has happened to me MULTIPLE times. Is this on the main site or on mobile that you experience this?

Main site. Vivaldi/Chrome (both use the same rendering engine). Happened most recently when I posted to https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Paying-for-the-upgraded-membership/m-p/437409#M266561 - In the original reply, I used the quote feature to quote Ramesh's comment before adding my own reply. I was allowed to submit, and even edit the resulting post while still on that page, but when I came back later, my reply was gone, my recent posts list didn't show anything about it, and yet my post count had still gone up by one. I also just noticed that after pasting the URL for that thread in this reply, the page kept trying to scroll all the way to the top when typing just after said URL.
  • Rich Text editor has a habit of generating bad HTML. On several occasions I'll hit post, and it will warn me of “Invalid HTML” being stripped out. This issue was present with our previous design too, frequently when copying and pasting text from elsewhere. However, you should still be able to post the content despite the error. 

This wasn't when pasting text in. This was when generating a list and embedding images to said list. Also, the scrolling issue I mentioned seems to happen any time you paste a URL, as it's still doing the same thing even though I'm not working with that particular block of text anymore.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS