Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redesigned community for mobile optimization

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
11 of 244

*Update*

Hey everyone,

We did our final review of the new community site and there are still a few things that need tweaking. We weren't comfortable with pushing this design live tomorrow at its current state. We are going to continue working on the new design and will have an update on timing and downtime for you soon. Note that we wont be pushing in the next few days. 

Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 244

My worry is that this will just add to one more thing that doesn't quite work on Upwork. My worry is that it will result in even more down time and enraging suggestions that cache and cookies get cleared - despite Petra's knowledgeable exhortations.

I really cannot understand why people have to spend so much time on their telephones, when really, they should be working on some functional laptop at the very least - the laptop presumably being able to function so that the forum does not need to be drastically altered. Does Upwork not have enough for their developers to do?

Drastic alterations on Upwork always seem to end in drastic disasters that take a long time to be redressed . . . just sayin'. Smiley Frustrated

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
13 of 244

@Nichola L wrote:

My worry is that it will result in even more down time and enraging

community.upwork.com and www.upwork.com are two different and independent sites, hosted on different infrastructures. The only thing in common is the user identification that is outsourced by the community website to the main Upwork site. This is why you cannot log into the community website when Upwork is down.

Other than that, they can totally break the community website, this would have no impact on the main website.

The use of resources is a valid question, though. I don't know, I would still like to see some improvements on this community site.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
14 of 244

@Rene K wrote:

The use of resources is a valid question, though. I don't know, I would still like to see some improvements on this community site.

Same. The forums could definitely do with some improvements, but so could the actual Upwork site. And I think the latter is much more important ...

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 244

Rene, Nichola and Isabelle Anne,

No worries, redesign of the Community barely uses the resources that are usually involved in addressing issues of the main site. Community is provided and supported by our partner.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
16 of 244

@Nichola L wrote:

My worry is that this will just add to one more thing that doesn't quite work on Upwork. My worry is that it will result in even more down time and enraging suggestions that cache and cookies get cleared - despite Petra's knowledgeable exhortations.

I really cannot understand why people have to spend so much time on their telephones, when really, they should be working on some functional laptop at the very least - the laptop presumably being able to function so that the forum does not need to be drastically altered. Does Upwork not have enough for their developers to do?

Drastic alterations on Upwork always seem to end in drastic disasters that take a long time to be redressed . . . just sayin'. Smiley Frustrated

lol I don't get it either. I feel old because of it. I use desktop for everything. These 3 big 4k screens are awesome and I only use my phone if I'm bored watching tv or sitting in the waiting room or something. We are apparently in the minority though. 

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
17 of 244

@Nichola L wrote:

....I really cannot understand why people have to spend so much time on their telephones, when really, they should be working on some functional laptop at the very least - the laptop presumably being able to function so that the forum does not need to be drastically altered. Does Upwork not have enough for their developers to do?

Nichola,

Because they're young and that's what they do. And we're dinosaurs who keep looking up from our dinosaur computers over the tops of our half-moons and telling them what to do and they don't care. As we die off, Upwork is following the shifting demographics of the online workforce. It would be improvident of them not to do so.

Best,

Michael

p.s. I prefer working at my desktop. I also expect desktop sites to be as integrated as far as possible with mobile access. I like being able to keep up with both Upwork itself and the fora while, for example, taking breaks at the gym.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
18 of 244

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

....I really cannot understand why people have to spend so much time on their telephones, when really, they should be working on some functional laptop at the very least - the laptop presumably being able to function so that the forum does not need to be drastically altered. Does Upwork not have enough for their developers to do?

Nichola,

Because they're young and that's what they do. And we're dinosaurs who keep looking up from our dinosaur computers over the tops of our half-moons and telling them what to do and they don't care. As we die off, Upwork is following the shifting demographics of the online workforce. It would be improvident of them not to do so.

Lol, I'm 26 and I wouldn't consider that dinosaur age, but I feel exactly the same way. And probably the last thing I'd do on my phone is visit the forums Cat LOL

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
19 of 244

@Valeria K wrote:

....all the sub-categories will appear as drop-down menus at the top.

Thanks, Valeria! Good to know.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
20 of 244

Any update about this?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless