cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redesigned community for mobile optimization

Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
51 of 244

Yeah, all the IDs are visible on the notification page. From what I see in the mockups, that was by design? Now I know your IDs, people who kudoed my posts - fear me!

On the design and UX - it's meh but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Pretty counter-intuitive for a forum though. 

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
52 of 244

Mizan, what do YOU think?

Ace Contributor
Mizan M Member Since: Mar 22, 2015
53 of 244

The new forum has several bugs, features don't work as intended. I have not seen a colorful status page like upwork so far. The planned maintenance could be scheduled on routine day as it's use to be on odesk, so we can assume if something breaks.
When a post gets merged, the community mailer should also notify accordingly, so we can have the same threaded view on the forum just like on our email notification.

I assume the forum is not going to be fixed the raised issues anytime soon. I would like to see few necessary features though:
1. SSO: Single sign in features, so we don't have to push the pencil button when we are already logged on upwork.
2. Related Posts: The forum can implement some tags to be used to gather related posts. It could be placed only on single post view (to utilize the desktop screen) and not on the archive.
3. Hot topics: It was on the previous version. I would like to see the features on the new version and could be under related posts on single post view.
I also like nested threads. From the new version of the forum, it's almost impossible to find who replies to what.
I am a big fan of stackexchange and hacker news forum; it would be great to see some/most features here on the forum.

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
54 of 244

@Lena E wrote:

Hi everyone!

Just a quick heads up that we plan to push the redesign next week! We are excited for all of you to see the new look of the Community and are anxious to hear your feedback. I love it and hope you will too Smiley Happy

There may be some kinks that occur in the live environment that were not found beforehand. If you experience any issues let us know.

This warning was too little, too late. An email announcement for everyone to see, with the actual time of the roll out and planned downtime, would have been a much more effective communication tactic than a post in a long-buried announcement thread. Because y'all couldn't be bothered with this very basic courtesy, I'm sure there were hundreds of Support tickets opened regarding the external login window and 401 forbidden errors all over the site this morning.

I wonder how much that cost Upwork in work hours? Not to mention all the freelancers and clients who couldn't access their one avenue of support?

I'm finding the new interface next to impossible to navigate.

The "Helpful Tips" carousel is annoying and humongous, and the "featured contributor" and "top kudoed users" are a complete waste of space. Web design 101: moving elements should STOP at some point, especially if the eternally-scrolling content is so obviously outdated!

There are no navigation links at the top of each page of a thread to change pages, only at the bottom. I can no longer open the same thread I'm replying to in a pop-up if I need to reference previous posts.

It is also much more difficult to tell if anyone has replied to previous posts from my profile page. Replies are not listed in the new notifications feed - only kudos. So, I guess conversation is now discouraged?

Above all, the font continues to be too light to read easily.

Maybe it all looks better on mobile devices, but I'll never access the site that way...

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
55 of 244

The new forum format is 

1. UGLY

2. IMPOSSIBLE to navigate

3. UGLY

4. Remarkably like a preschooler's art project gone WRONG

5. User UNFRIENDLY (was this the actual intent, Upwork?)

6. Did I mention UGLY?

Michael F Member Since: Oct 4, 2017
56 of 244

It might be helpful to describe to them exactly which areas of navigation are problematic to you and/or what is unfriendly to the new user experience to you as a user.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
57 of 244

It's super annoying to have to scroll past a giant, pointless header just to see the most recent active threads.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
58 of 244

Yep, Tiffany, and that is for starters.  Honestly, it now looks like a early beta version (trashed before ever getting past beta stage) of what Facebook might have looked like many years ago.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
59 of 244

Wendy, I'm not crazy about it, but it was discussed/previewed in another thread where everyone seemed to be enthused over it, unless they were being sarcastic. I will say this, because I dislike the mobile view of the forum, I access it on my phone with the desktop view, and believe it or not, the redesigned site is much easier to use in mobile.

ETA: here's the thread where everyone seemed to be gushing: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Redesigned-community-for-mobile-optimization/td-p/3756...

One feature I miss is that upon clicking a user name or photo, the resulting page does not contain a link to the user's freelancer/client profile. Cat Sad I suppose that's one way to cut down on freelancers asking for profile advice.

OTOH, I somehow gained a couple hundred kudos, so maybe that makes it a wash. Cat Wink

60 of 244

John K wrote: 

One feature I miss is that upon clicking a user name or photo, the resulting page does not contain a link to the user's freelancer/client profile. Cat Sad I suppose that's one way to cut down on freelancers asking for profile advice.

Hi John,

Links to profiles aren't showing due to a technical issue that we are planning to fix as soon as possible together with a few other issues we discovered. I'm glad you like the mobile version.

~ Valeria
Untitled