Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Skill Tests on July 16th

A K T Member Since: Jun 27, 2019
21 of 1,710

Ahmad A Member Since: Dec 31, 2018
22 of 1,710

It's really good desigen. freelancers can't pass self tes All freelancers give mony and pass Tests on Tests centers it's really good Desigen

Tricxie L Member Since: Sep 18, 2019
23 of 1,710

well considered.

Zohurul I Member Since: Jul 10, 2019
24 of 1,710

It is a nice idea. Thanks a lot.

Daniele T Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
25 of 1,710

Totally disagree with this decision. I got first in many tests because I work hard at my trade. These results were deserved, and it gave potential clients an idea of my value when reading these results in parallel with systematic 5 star feedback.

Ioana C Member Since: Jul 11, 2019
26 of 1,710
I think if you look around, you will notice the ones that salute this decision are also those who cannot spell properly in English and who were likely to pass some of the tests...
Daniele T Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
27 of 1,710

Totally agree with you Ioana, some replies don't even make sense syntactically, so why would they want to be tested!

Dima S Member Since: Jul 13, 2019
28 of 1,710
Ioana, well noticed Smiley Happy
Oluwatobi O Member Since: Nov 21, 2017
29 of 1,710

Ioana C wrote:
I think if you look around, you will notice the ones that salute this decision are also those who **Edited for Community Guidelines** and who were likely to pass some of the tests...

This doesn't exactly sit right. While some people can't spell and will probably applaud the decision to remove the skills test, I think you shouldn't generalize your conclusion. What if their skills has nothing to do with writing, which is probably your own niche? What if they aren't native English speakers, and are probably French or German-speaking natives, who are probably just trying to contribute on a forum that permits mostly English?

On the flipside, if I know the niche in which you're weak, I could easily use it against you, and say you don't deserve to be on Upwork. Won't that be a wrong generalization? It is infact an annoying line to use.

So, I just think we should air our opinion on the topic without downplaying other people's spelling abilities which is probably not a representation of their core skills.

Cheers

PS. Although I passed the tests I did, I found them extremely irrelevant to freelancing writing - my own freelancing niche.

Chandkishore P Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
30 of 1,710

To some extent you are right. There are certain niches where your spelling proficiency is irrelevant. 

At the same time it is not correct to remove the tests. Freshers may be very talented, but how can they prove their talent without the tests, especially in the absence of work experience? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS