Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Skill Tests on July 16th

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
John M Member Since: Jun 15, 2019
71 of 1,843

Excellent point SueAnne. And given the quality of the other responses to this topic, that is obviously true.

Highlighted
Atif Z Member Since: May 17, 2017
72 of 1,843

Upwork has a R&D team (Bear in mind, the Era of Artificial Intelligence ), closely looking what deicions to make for the betterment of upwork's community. I can't give a positive or a negative vote on this decision, reason becuase this decision of removing skill test is based on what Client's look at the time of hiring, 

Let me ask you a question here: When was the last time a client asked you a question "have you passed and done well in XYZ test"? I know they still ask such questions but only few clients, Majority they do not want to rely on those tests, where as, they are more concerned about your feedback/job success rate, your portfolio etc.

Highlighted
Matthieu R Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
73 of 1,843

At first, I felt like most did. I have many test results in the top 10% if not 'first place'.
One good point is that UpWork is a worldwide pool of talents, and most users do not speak English at a native level. So it was not fair to them in the first place as those tests could not be taken in other languages.
That said, if you consistently provide quality services, then your profile should still reflect that. 
I think I will take a screenshot of my test results before they're gone and put that screenshot in my UpWork portfolio. 

Best to all,

Matthieu R.
Anything French.... except fries and kisses to respect the UpWork policies !!!
Highlighted
Bob K Member Since: Jul 20, 2019
74 of 1,843

It doesn't matter if a freelancer does not speak English as their native language... If a client is giving you instructions in English then you should absolutely be able to pass a skills test that is also in English. 

If a freelancer can't pass a skills test solely because the test is in English and all of the communication about the project will be in English, then I really shouldn't be hiring that freelancer.

Isn't that obvious?

Highlighted
Cherry Vic P Member Since: Nov 29, 2010
75 of 1,843

I find that providing a tailored (or existing relevant) writing sample that matches the client's job description, and referring them to my relevant work history (say, travel writing history for a job description that says "City Guides to European Capitals"), often get a client response. Even my very first contract (back when Upwork was oDesk) was won on the strength of a writing sample, not my score on skill tests.

Highlighted
Monirul I Member Since: Apr 26, 2019
76 of 1,843

I think, This is a good decision.

Highlighted
Shumaila A Member Since: Jun 26, 2019
77 of 1,843

thnks

Highlighted
George D Member Since: Apr 1, 2019
78 of 1,843

My point.........

Highlighted
Md Jashim U Member Since: Oct 28, 2016
79 of 1,843

This is a good decision for all cause decrease database and loading time will be fastest

Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard L Member Since: Dec 14, 2016
80 of 1,843

"This is a good decision for all cause decrease database and loading time will be fastest"

I am a tech writer.  And I know about databases. In what pitifully programmed situation will test scores slow down page loading?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS