cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Removing certifications that are unsupported

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 51

Freelancers often add certifications to their profiles as another way of highlighting their skills and experience. It’s a good practice, as it helps round out a freelancer’s profile and gives clients further confidence in a freelancer’s abilities.

Until recently, freelancers have been able to add “custom” certifications. These are certifications that are not on our official list of certifications, nor do we have the ability to verify. In an effort to clean this up and help freelancers really stand out with certifications that have been verified by our team, we’ll be removing all custom certifications from freelancer profiles in the coming days.  Today, you’ll see these unsupported certifications highlighted with this icon.

certificate icon.png

If these certifications are added to our official list at a later time, you’ll find them by clicking the “+” icon next to “Certifications” on your profile.

As a reminder, if you want to add a certification that is not on our official list here, you can continue to suggest certifications from that area of your profile. We review those suggestions and will periodically add new ones to our supported list. If we add these certifications in the future, we’ll notify you via your profile page.

Untitled
Ace Contributor
Jatinder k Member Since: Jan 9, 2017
2 of 51

Thanks for the information!

A great and Good step taken by upwork team

Many Thanks
JATINDER

Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
3 of 51

Disapointing news! 

I understand the market is flooded with certificates of dubious value and it is impossible for Upwork to verify most. The problem is, I don't trust Upwork to keep up on all of the legitimate certiifcates in every field.

Upwork already excludes some certiifcates that current clients ask for and search for in the freelancer pool. (And the example I am thinking of is easily verified via the certificate issuer's directory and actually has a higher bar to entry than some of the partner certificate programs). Why not let the clients decide which certificates they feel add value to their projects? 

I think it is a good idea to highlight the certificates that Upwork verifies, but I think excluding all others results in less helpful information for clients. I would be happy with this is you had a section for unverified certificates and awards that follows the verified certificates. I hope you pass that feedback on to the powers that be. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
4 of 51

Thanks Samantha,

We will pass your feedback along to the team. As a side note, if you have a certificate thats not on out list you can also highlight them in your overview. What is the certificate we dont have, that you are referring to in your post? 

Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 51

Lena,

The certification I have comes from a  respected publishing training centre in London, which I did as a refresher course. The training centre is also highly regarded by the Society for Editors and Proofreaders in London of which I am a professional member. I thought that this certificate had been verified by the Upwork team.

Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
6 of 51

@Lena E wrote:

Thanks Samantha,

We will pass your feedback along to the team. As a side note, if you have a certificate thats not on out list you can also highlight them in your overview. What is the certificate we dont have, that you are referring to in your post? 

Hi Lena, I was referring to the Hootsuite certification. I have seen Upwork job listings that request it and have received invitations from clients interested in it (some asked for my score). I am sure there are others in more certificate-oriented fields. 

There are plenty of people in my field who are successful without certificates. It may be different in more certificate-oriented fields. Many social media and content platforms have their own certifications. These may be meaningless to a lot of clients, but some clients do like to see certificates from familiar brands or platforms as that reflects familiarity with the client's favorite tools. I agree the value is subjective, but it is nice to have a place to list these certificates. 

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 51

I'll be on pins and needles till I know if this makes the cut:

human research.png

;^)

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
8 of 51

So my Duolingo certificate has disappeared from my profile... is this a temporary bug or do I have to add it again? Duolingo is on the official list: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/215650138-Add-Certifications-to-Your-Freelancer-Profile

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
9 of 51

While I doubt I will really be hurt by this change, it lacks sense when it appears UW has not spent much (if any) real time in researching certificates/credentials. The "approved" list is extremely short. For example, how does PMP (Project Management professional) or ITIL not make the list? Hardly unknown around the world. 

I would agree that the client should be able to determine for themselves whether the certification has any merit. If UW does want to police this, then much more work should go into creating a more extensive list of known certifications. To go-live with such a small offering is very amateurish and makes it seems like this was just a knee-jerk reaction or an afterthought. 

I do support UW's intention to clean-up the trash and make things more professional. I absolutely applaud this. However, these things should be done with care and thought. The intention here is good but the execution is lacking.

Deborah K Member Since: Jul 4, 2015
10 of 51

Hi Scott, I agree.  I am APPALLED and beyond upset with what just happened to my Profile on UpWork.  Yes, Cleaning up UpWork is a good thing.  What I saw this morning was downright NASTY.  I shared what happened with my neighbor who is not on UpWork, her reply that is like telling me "I do not have my C.P.A.!"  Well, I took those DELETED Project Managment Courses on my Vacation, at my own expense.  I have the Certificate of Completion for each course to prove it.  Thank you UpWork.  I thought you were better than . . . 

Deborah K

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS