cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing certifications that are unsupported

Elizabeth S Member Since: Sep 4, 2015
21 of 51

I just checked my Profile, and understand that UpWork is now removing Certifications (as well as no longer enabling our last names to be viewable in profiles for prospective clients). Although I have excellent evaluations, the result has been fewer high-quality client invitations over time (as also noted by other long-term freelancers). The problem with only allowing certifications to appear that are included in the UpWork drop-down menu (or are similar to these choices) is that many certifications enhance the knowledge-based needed by many clients attempting to choose an experienced freelancer--but these are not among those considered important by UpWork. For example, I have two certifications that aided prospective clients in knowing my background and qualifications, and I have proof that I indeed received these certifications (a Certificate in Teaching English as a Second Language, and a Certificate in Development and Fundraising). My feeling as a former Elance freelancer (transitioned to UpWork in 2015 due to merger) is that this certification removal is a discouraging platform change, and does not enhance the experience for either freelancer or client. I hope that UpWork will re-think this ludicrious decision.

Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
22 of 51

I was a bit disappointed at first, I must say. However, there's always the 'Other Experiences' section. That way, even though at the very bottom of your profile, your certifications will still be there for clients to see.

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
23 of 51

I'm pretty conflicted on the certificate thing.  I'd love to add my CAPM/PMP certification but I really don't want it popping up on someone else's profile.  I'm not even sure if that's possible but I don't want to risk it.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
24 of 51

Hi Elizabeth,

I've merged your post with the official announcement for this change so we can keep all the feedback in the same place and share it with the team easily. 

Note that while you can't add certificates that aren't on Upwork's official list to the certificate section of your profile, you can still highlight them in your overview. You can also suggest for those certificates to be added in the future.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Timofey S Member Since: May 19, 2015
25 of 51

You removed "Top developer" certification as well ? Upwork pefromed this contest about 2 years ago, it was a sport programming event at HackerRank. And now it's "unsupported certification" ?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
26 of 51

Hi Timofey,

I'll check with the team but in the meantime feel free to add the certification in question as a suggestion.

Timofey S Member Since: May 19, 2015
27 of 51

Hi Vladimir,

I think it doesn't make sense to add it manually since it was an "Upwork badge", not a real certification. But it was displayed in this section. Hopefully this issue wil be resolved, thanks for the information. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
28 of 51

Timofey and Faiza,

I'd like to let you know that the team is working on bringing back certification badges that were awarded by Upwork. We'll keep you updated.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
29 of 51

The "permitted" list is extraordinary - heavily weighted on the technical side and very little on the writing/translation/editing side.

The English course is OK, but any bilingual native English speaker should be able to pass this type of exam by the time they are 16 (max.).  Just because you have a CAE, does not mean you speak perfect English let alone qualify you to edit. As to translation . . .

Siarhei K Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
30 of 51

@Timofey S wrote:

You removed "Top developer" certification as well ? Upwork pefromed this contest about 2 years ago, it was a sport programming event at HackerRank. And now it's "unsupported certification" ?

Hi all,

+1 - I lost this badge too. I wrote a request to support team and got a response like:

Thank you for submitting your verification request. Unfortunately, we were unable to successfully verify your certification. At this time, we don't offer this particular certification. However, you are free to submit a suggestion on the certification page by clicking the "Suggest this certification" link. And if it is included, we'll be sure to update  you.

I was dissapointed a bit. We, freelancers, invested our own free time and efforts to pass those challenges. As a result, we got a badge which highlighted us among other freelancers. Now we just lost it without a hope to return it back.

I truely belive Upwork's team hear us and will take a look at my request with suggestions and possible ways of resolving this issue, not hurting freelancers who invested time and efforts into themselves.

Cheers.

Siarhei