🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Replacing 5-Star Average Feedback with Job Su...
Page options

Replacing 5-Star Average Feedback with Job Success Score

garnorm
Community Member

Hi all,

We remove 5-star average feedback entirely, and display only your Job Success score throughout most of the Upwork site. 5-star feedback given per contract will remain displayed on your Work History.

We’re making this decision because we’ve seen Job Success scores help top performing freelancers win more contracts. This means clients are having better experiences and coming back for more, which in turn benefits the marketplace and generates more opportunities for freelancers overall. The score helps freelancers at all levels stand out from the competition by presenting clients with a complete picture of their differences. This is an opportunity to help freelancers continue to grow their businesses that we can’t pass up.

Additionally, you can learn more about Job Success score and how it's calculated in our help article.

540 Comments
mulcahyb
Community Member

Can Upwork provide any actual data that motivates this decision? I'm not saying there isn't any, I'm saying that myself (and it seems many others) would like to see it! And, can Upwork not obscure clearly relevant data from profiles?

I have read all about JSS, and based on that understanding and my experience as a freelancer I would not take this value into account at all if I were acting as a client. Would I be wrong to do so? If so, can you provide any evidence--real data, not vague arguments and projections?

ginfanta
Community Member

Just my two cents, if the aim was to be as informative as possible to the client then UpWork should just leave the two rating system as is and leave the judging for the cient. No one will get alienated. Problem solved.

This is like removing a student's report card rating (A to F) and just looking at his/her attendance. Doesn't really make sense.

jincymariamjoy1
Community Member

Preston,

I am not able to see my job success score - how can I see that? On my profile page, it says I need to complete more jobs to see it. Does this mean that a job success score would not appear on my profile?

Thanks

Jincy

natram
Community Member

I am going to agree with the rest of the people who believe this is a bad move from Upwork. I already know that the JSS is flawed and removing the 5-star average feedback will only cause more headache for freelancers and clients. 

Garnor wrote

"We’re making this decision because we’ve seen Job Success scores help top performing freelancers win more contracts."

Garnor, could you please show us some statistics on this? 

michaeldk
Community Member

Honestly I am not happy with this change. I have a flawless trackrecord where I provided all materials well in time to my clients at their utmost satisfaction. I've had clients who linger, who are late, who are not finishing their projects properly etc etc ; And somehow my job success score is 93% although that should rate 100% if I take each project and it's completion into account (and the exclusive 5 star ratings I got). 

So whatever the "job success rate" is, I dont understand what it is based upon completely. And surely don't like sloppy clients to influence is (because thats the only thing that I see happening in my profile which might have downgraded me from 100%)

ashwinkevins1
Community Member

Dear Stephen and All,

Thank you for your update. i recently joined Upwork and do not have any client Feedback so far, but it may be something we explore in the future. However, we do understand the valu of Star Average Feedback Score.

Thanks
Ashwini K Pandey

tauseefkhan1
Community Member

I agree to Stephen, You guys all started to focus only on top rated freelancer and highly paying clients. What about the new freelancers? You are making it more difficult to get any job here... I don't think so its remain easy now to get even a small job here. I'm a graphic designer and I've good design skills and experience but since I joined this platform I didn't get any job yet. I don't know how to convince clients to get their projects though I don't have any rating or job success score. 

Its not only me, there are many other freelancers who are suffering form your new rules and ranking system. Its really shameful. 

naumanahmad12345
Community Member

There are endless way to resolve the issue what new freelancers will face, and they can do this by themselves. All they have to do is to get into forced labour in the start by working for some agencies so they pay them less for what they actually worth. Agencies have more clients so they can provide you work in the start. Once you build up your reputation through working for agencies, clients will see this and are likely to become your VICTIMS just like as Upwork has Victimized new comers through this upcoming radical shift. 

How to end this up? May be Upwork wants us to do some forced labour online. How do you think UPwork?

ruwhan
Community Member

Odesk, I mean Upwork getting weird and more weird since merged with Elance, less transparency, unjust, stand on money owner, etc... 

mario-chirinos
Community Member

Starting September 15th, 5-star average feedback will no longer be displayed on freelancer profiles.

Why the hell no? if it has been established that JS% is for say the least unclear.