Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Replacing 5-Star Average Feedback with Job Success Score

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 541

Hi all,

As outlined in our blog post, **edited** starting September 8th, we will soon** remove 5-star average feedback entirely, and display only your Job Success score throughout most of the Upwork site. 5-star feedback given per contract will remain displayed on your Work History.

We’re making this decision because we’ve seen Job Success scores help top performing freelancers win more contracts. This means clients are having better experiences and coming back for more, which in turn benefits the marketplace and generates more opportunities for freelancers overall. The score helps freelancers at all levels stand out from the competition by presenting clients with a complete picture of their differences. This is an opportunity to help freelancers continue to grow their businesses that we can’t pass up.

Please read our blog post here for more information and context on this upcoming change. 

Additionally, you can learn more about Job Success score and how it's calculated in our help articleYou can also read more about improving your score here.

**Note, due to recent site issues, we have delayed the timing for this change. We will update the Community as we prepare to make this change live on the Upwork site.**

***Edit Sept. 22nd --- We will begin implementing this change starting Sept. 23. Freelancers will see this reflected on profiles over the next few days.***

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
2 of 541

@Garnor M wrote:

As outlined in our blog post, starting September 8th, we’ll remove 5-star average feedback entirely, and display only your Job Success score throughout most of the Upwork site.

Yay, here comes an Upwork world where a freelancer with 5 star feedback will be advertised as only achieving 82% success.

We’re making this decision because we’ve seen Job Success scores help top performing freelancers win more contracts.

An Upwork world where newcomers are not welcome.

The score helps freelancers at all levels stand out from the competition by presenting clients with a complete picture of their differences.

Only if by "complete picture" you mean calculated in a way that is completely opaque, reducing their differences to a single number in a narrow range that often bares no relation to the reality of how some clients use this site.

You can also read more about improving your score here.

No, we can't.  That's just some generic advice for working professionally.  I already know how to do that.  What I don't know how to specifically do is improve my JSS on Upwork.  When will that article be written?

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
3 of 541

Oh what a surprise. You have made a decision for everybody's good, by taking away something everyone was used to and replacing it with a dark, mysterious, secretive metric which has been shown on the forums to be universally despised. You keep saying it's because clients prefer it, but we never hear from any of them.

By the way, I presume this means that you're introducing a job success score for clients? - because nowhere does it say that this only applies to freelancers (oh, sorry, we didn'tthink that bit was important.)

I'm sick to the stomach at this. Not because I'm afraid for my job success score - but because of the way Upwork has once again treated its freelancers, with downright and utter contempt. I could go on but a) I've work to do while it's still there, and b) no doubt if I said anything too unsupportive of this new imposition then I'd just have it deleted as par for the course. OK - here's the most supportive thing I can think of - at least you put it in the announcements section this time instead of sneaking it into the middle of an old post. Bravo.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 541

Stephen,

I DO understand why this makes you feel uncomfortable. But I hope you don't mind me pointing out that with your (extremely high) job success score, this can only help you.

And as much as as this may make you feel sick because of how it was done... I think this has long been telegraphed.

I totally agree with many of your points. You're right. There are problems with this.

But I think an even more pressing concern is that there are so many contractors on Upwork without the professionalism and skills that clients are looking for. I see this as a good thing for everybody. Even contractors with lower job success scores will benefit because this helps increase client satisfaction, return client business, and means more jobs for everybody.

Highlighted
Alexei S Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
5 of 541

Preston,

This is not a good thing. I guess we can all agree on the what the problems are, but the JS "solution" that is beng shoved down our throats is not a solution at all. There cannot be any objectivity in a score that has never been properly explained. The mechanics of how it works are only known to people who created it. So how are we supposed to trust the algorithm if we don't know it? And how are we supposed to enhance it if we have no idea how exactly it's calculated? "Be professional and good things will happen" is not an answer.

Judging from what people are saying, the formula doesn't take into account realities of certain jobs and situations, so Upwork did the simplest thing they could do the best way to avoid criticism - they just covered their flawed approach with a thick layer of vague statements.

Yadh D Member Since: Sep 7, 2015
6 of 541

Dear Preston,

the algorithm changed my job succes from Top Rated 92% within a day to 73%, no one could expain or solve the situation I ve got now: no one hires me after three years  doing a good job I am not good enough now!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 541

Hi Stephen and others,

Thank you for your feedback. We don’t have a public version of a client Job Success score developed at this time, but it may be something we explore in the future. However, we do contact or close the accounts of clients who have had a poor track record of collaboration with freelancers. 5-star average feedback for clients will remain visible on job postings.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ambika B Member Since: Jun 14, 2015
8 of 541

I think upwork start 15th September onwards for Job success score as client feedback rather than 5 stars feedback. Upwork should work innovative way both employer and freelancer side. If an employer hire freelancer without have proper background check hire new freelancer or freelancer accept new employer for work without proper knowledge. This kind hire may escalate problem both employer as well as freelancer side. To avoid this kind of situation , upwork may encourage to work as Project Manager or IT technical guy to monitor entire work. This kind of transparent work may lead healthy relation between employer and freelancer. Similarly if the work failed means upwork may conclude who done the real mistake either employer or freelancer ?

OR

upwork should encourage transparent job success score rather than hidden feedback, freelancer point of view every job success score very important to stay top of the upwork working group.

OR

Upwork may use automation for the entire process like weekly hidden job success score,  rather than Project Manager or IT person sitting on top for entire process. I know that over thousands of job posted on upwork difficult to maintain spending huge money for IT technical person/ Project Manager

Thanks

Ambika

Binesh S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
9 of 541

I am agree with Ambika suggestion upwork should be  transparent both employer and freelancer side. Not good sign hidden format feedback  because the entire process may use remote  hidden discussion or chat ( Not transparent)

Thanks

Binesh

Tauseef K Member Since: Sep 4, 2015
10 of 541

I agree to Stephen, You guys all started to focus only on top rated freelancer and highly paying clients. What about the new freelancers? You are making it more difficult to get any job here... I don't think so its remain easy now to get even a small job here. I'm a graphic designer and I've good design skills and experience but since I joined this platform I didn't get any job yet. I don't know how to convince clients to get their projects though I don't have any rating or job success score. 

Its not only me, there are many other freelancers who are suffering form your new rules and ranking system. Its really shameful.