🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Replacing 5-Star Average Feedback with Job Su...
Page options

Replacing 5-Star Average Feedback with Job Success Score

garnorm
Community Member

Hi all,

We remove 5-star average feedback entirely, and display only your Job Success score throughout most of the Upwork site. 5-star feedback given per contract will remain displayed on your Work History.

We’re making this decision because we’ve seen Job Success scores help top performing freelancers win more contracts. This means clients are having better experiences and coming back for more, which in turn benefits the marketplace and generates more opportunities for freelancers overall. The score helps freelancers at all levels stand out from the competition by presenting clients with a complete picture of their differences. This is an opportunity to help freelancers continue to grow their businesses that we can’t pass up.

Additionally, you can learn more about Job Success score and how it's calculated in our help article.

540 Comments
mojammel32
Community Member

It's a nonsense dicision for those who are strugling to get up their stats. Suddenly stats system in and then my account was suspended. I was then so upset that I could not keep running the jobs for my clients. My account recovered after arount two months later when no client was beside me. I got my stats only 13%.After that it is about 4 months and I did not get a single response from any client. Once I saw my stats is 35% and it went down again at 21% though I wa applying regularly for jobs.

Now, you are going to omit my 5 score feedback. That means to me never I will get any job and it must be better to go out of freelancing.

Thanks

dharamvir_s
Community Member

Greetings Mr. Damien D,

I am really touched with your view regardig the new update. As you siad that 4 year ago, i have no home for me and my daughter. Actually, now i am at the same situation, some months ago i am also tried to end my  life but now my career is growing at upwork. I did some jobs and earned some money for me and my family. 

I am crossing my fingers now, i am affraid that what will be the reaction on me owing to this update. 

thanks 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "But he gave me only a few feedbacks. He has no time to give feedbacks."

Clients DO NOT NEED to write feedback comments.

They can leave the feedback comments section blank.

If a client is working with you repeatedly, doing may contracts, and he's satisfied with your work, he can just click on the star ratings, give you 5 stars across the board, and be done with it.

Your job score will not go down if a client does that.

cornelmanolescu
Community Member
I worked hard to bring my score at 5 stars with 90+ Job success on Elance, and for what . To come here and realize that all my work was in vain, Like several freelancers already stated here, we don't seem to care that much, Upwork is changing from soo often that we barely keep the track . If it keeps going like this, unfortunately i will have to find alternative ways for my income, i am a full time freelancer, working hard and keeping my clients happy, but seems not enough having in mind that my JS was lowered and i don't know why 🙂
harriet_rodis
Community Member

This is kinda weird and quite unfair. I have received a lot of 5-star ratings and my job success rate keeps going lower without me knowing why. My clients are happy with my work and professionalism and the 5-star rating is the only thing that reflects it and now you're taking it away.

I think the way that the job success rate is being computed is so erroneous. 

sumonrwx
Community Member

thanks for invitation I've gone through your requirements and it seems I can fulfill them efficiently
So, feel free to contact for further discussion.

indianscrewup
Community Member

I am a full time freelancer, and I usually used Elance for my assignments while sometimes getting a few project through Odesk, but since they introduced this Job success score, I haven't been able to get a single project while I still keep getting new projects on Elance - Because I have good feedback and a good 5 star average rating. 

It is not my fault that some clients do not leave feedback, it is not my fault that some clients pause the projects. What Upwork needs to understand that projects are not always paused because a freelancer isn't performing well. Its the client too, I have a few permanant clients on Upwork who only need 2 articles in a month but since we both dont want to go through the trouble of creating the whole project again and again, there is a single project which is only active like twice a month. Here, the client is completely satisfied with me but the project is just paused for a few weeks. 

I have decided that I am not going to rely on this platform for much business anymore

writergrace
Community Member

Some clients are simply satisfied and do not want to keep leaving feedback, especially after they have done it once or twice. Using the JS system as a major hiring tool works against the freelancer because the reason their score is low(er) might have nothing to do with their  professionalism. Considering the damage the JS system can cause to freelancers who have been providing quality service, I don't see why Upwork cannot simply leave the 5 star rating on our profile.

lonewulf
Community Member

I would be ok with this change if the private feedback of clients was removed or altered and JS was calculated in a more fair way. As others have mentioned it's not the best thing having clients tell you "you did a great job, I really liked the project outcome" and they appear perfectly happy with the contract and then leave some negative private feedback for who knows what reason. 

How am I supposed to improve if I don't know what the client did not like in a contract?

Also, the JS score has another flaw which was also mentioned by others in this topic and we freelancers can get a decrease even when it's a client's fault which in my opinion is not fair at all.

asadmeraj
Community Member

I totallt agree to Stephen and tauseef K.

i have been on this site nearly 2 years ( nearly or close) and i have totally got only 1 project to work on.

Only top freelancers get more work to do.

Stop these kind of ridiculous ranking rules and let us get some work.

Thanks,

Sorry if i used harsh word but we are being suffered due to low ranking.