🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Replacing 5-Star Average Feedback with Job Su...
Page options

Replacing 5-Star Average Feedback with Job Success Score

garnorm
Community Member

Hi all,

We remove 5-star average feedback entirely, and display only your Job Success score throughout most of the Upwork site. 5-star feedback given per contract will remain displayed on your Work History.

We’re making this decision because we’ve seen Job Success scores help top performing freelancers win more contracts. This means clients are having better experiences and coming back for more, which in turn benefits the marketplace and generates more opportunities for freelancers overall. The score helps freelancers at all levels stand out from the competition by presenting clients with a complete picture of their differences. This is an opportunity to help freelancers continue to grow their businesses that we can’t pass up.

Additionally, you can learn more about Job Success score and how it's calculated in our help article.

540 Comments
j_peloquin
Community Member

Also not all of the clients are that bad, there are a lot of great people to work for, but there is a high amount that take up a good amount of the job postings and try to word their gigs in a fashion that almost tricks you into having to work for below what you would normally get for the job in question. Just wanted to clarify that.

abinesh
Community Member

I think upwork start 15th September onwards for Job success score as client feedback rather than 5 stars feedback. Upwork should work innovative way both employer and freelancer side. If an employer hire freelancer without have proper background check hire new freelancer or freelancer accept new employer for work without proper knowledge. This kind hire may escalate problem both employer as well as freelancer side. To avoid this kind of situation , upwork may encourage to work as Project Manager or IT technical guy to monitor entire work. This kind of transparent work may lead healthy relation between employer and freelancer. Similarly if the work failed means upwork may conclude who done the real mistake either employer or freelancer ?

OR

upwork should encourage transparent job success score rather than hidden feedback, freelancer point of view every job success score very important to stay top of the upwork working group.

OR

Upwork may use automation for the entire process like weekly hidden job success score,  rather than Project Manager or IT person sitting on top for entire process. I know that over thousands of job posted on upwork difficult to maintain spending huge money for IT technical person/ Project Manager

Thanks

Ambika

bineshsh
Community Member

I am agree with Ambika suggestion upwork should be  transparent both employer and freelancer side. Not good sign hidden format feedback  because the entire process may use remote  hidden discussion or chat ( Not transparent)

Thanks

Binesh

j_peloquin
Community Member

I agree with the points that are brought up. I also find it strange that with the feedback, it is unprofesional to bring it up but it is encourged to bring it up, yet it is against the TOS. Something, I'm not sure what, seems off about this current system. Smiley Happy

zamiruddin
Community Member

I had a same problem. Client ended the contract with a low feedback, (he was new and not much familiar of Rating system) and my job success score gone low. Once I discussed it with the client and he rectified the rating but no change took place with the job success score. I could not even ask for anything as we don't have any idea how Job success score actually calculated. Smiley Mad

frontend-guru
Community Member

So what about freelancers who don't have job score yet?

izmailov741
Community Member

this is redicilous i had 5 contracts with 5 stars during last two weeks, and today, my avarege stars score did not change and job success got 2% lower.... what on earth i need to do to make it up??????????????????

izmailov741
Community Member

ok, this is what i want to say. your feedback system it complicated client`s dont care about reading it, and i have big doubts that you have explanation that privet feedback effects on freelancers JS score. everyone just put stars and press submitt, if not i would like clients to get involved into this topic for discussion, also i want to ask to share client screenshot when he gives feedback, for better understanding of how clients path looks like. thank you

vendettav15
Community Member

Don't get me wrong guys, while I'm not sure how this will affect us freelancers, but the whole stance on 'this is ruining our opportunities for newcomers' and similar responses are setting me a little off.

I read a few people were having hard times getting projects, one person mentioned he's been here for 2 years and has only received a single contract, another person says they struggle finding more clients, etc.

What you guys are missing is that every single post like that has either poor grammar or poor English. I'm not even talking about profile pictures.

Here's a good suggestion, why not optimize your profiles (and English skills) up to a point where the client won't care about your score but the overal appearence and professional presense.

That's what I did and that's what many other freelancers did when they first came to oDesk (now upWork). I frankly doubt that getting projects for new comers is much harder now than it was back in the days. Clients who have sall budget projects don't get top freelancers simply cause they can't afford them. There's always a demand for small budget/project jobs and you can always score a few easy contracts and get some nice feedback. 

Cheers, I'm not trying to justify all this, just merely trying to give some good input.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

@Jonathan P wrote:

I agree with the points that are brought up. I also find it strange that with the feedback, it is unprofesional to bring it up but it is encourged to bring it up, yet it is against the TOS. Something, I'm not sure what, seems off about this current system. Smiley Happy

Hi Jonathan,

It is not against the TOS to politely ask the client to close the contract and provide honest feedback about the freelancer's work. Moreover, this is one of best practices in communicating with clients. What is not allowed is demanding that the client provides only good feedback on a contract.