🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Replacing 5-Star Average Feedback with Job Su...
Page options

Replacing 5-Star Average Feedback with Job Success Score

garnorm
Community Member

Hi all,

We remove 5-star average feedback entirely, and display only your Job Success score throughout most of the Upwork site. 5-star feedback given per contract will remain displayed on your Work History.

We’re making this decision because we’ve seen Job Success scores help top performing freelancers win more contracts. This means clients are having better experiences and coming back for more, which in turn benefits the marketplace and generates more opportunities for freelancers overall. The score helps freelancers at all levels stand out from the competition by presenting clients with a complete picture of their differences. This is an opportunity to help freelancers continue to grow their businesses that we can’t pass up.

Additionally, you can learn more about Job Success score and how it's calculated in our help article.

540 Comments
angelajean04
Community Member

I seriously HATE this. I have almost a 5 star rating but because some of my clients haven't given me feedback I only have a 76 percent success rate. That's not even remotely close to accurate. So frustrating. 

sagarrazashakya
Community Member

I had too many contracts open so I send messages to couple of the inactive contract's clients and asked them to end the contract, after about a week or so both of them didn't reply. So, I decided to end those contracts myself. But apparently if a freelancer ends a contract because the client is unresponsive and will likely not leave a review, most probably because they have stopped using Upwork or they only use upwork once every few months, that will effect the job success rate.

Can anyone explain to me how this makes sense? I did the tasks that they wanted done successfully but for some reason they stopped responding.  Was I suppose to keep the contract open forever? What should you do when the client don't respond? 

jennynward01
Community Member

This is so unfair...I'm doing my part by migrating my business over to Upwork from Elance and I notice I have and 82% success rate. From a 5 start rating!! No wonder I'm not getting any jobs on Upwork.

I'm going to check out other freelance sites, because the time I've invested in Elance is now worthless.

jedlarosa
Community Member

Hi Jennifer,

Your not alone. Even if I'm a top rated freelancer that has a 95% Job success score. I still having a hard time finding a new client here in upwork for over 2 MONTHS ALREADY. I'm getting poor now.. Robot Sad If you find a freelancer site. Please share it to me.. Thanks!

wuntalan
Community Member

same concern here, i was even making more and with long term clients and yet an 83% score from who knows where.. i asked support and they will only give you a vague canned message..

alexut
Community Member

I just  got a bad feedback score from someone. My JS score droped to 93% which is quite a lot. Don't know exactly why but I have more job proposals since than :).

shafqatmiu
Community Member

Definately I am agree to Tauseef. Only the old freelancers having high job success rate are getting most of the jobs. Even most of them have more than 20 jobs in progress at a time. At the other end new skilled freelancers are striving for single job but invain. This new success rate formula is totally useless for newbies. Thanks.

oquintela
Community Member

@Shafqat U wrote:

Definately I am agree to Tauseef. Only the old freelancers having high job success rate are getting most of the jobs. Even most of them have more than 20 jobs in progress at a time. At the other end new skilled freelancers are striving for single job but invain. This new success rate formula is totally useless for newbies. Thanks.

I have 15 jobs in progress, but I'm working on two of them - I'm sure most of those freelancers you mention are experiencing this too. I really don't understand the point you're trying to address here.

ramzan33
Community Member

Hello ,

I agree with your opionion . When i started oDesk i have tried and tired to get new job at this time i also try and try . Everthing is becoming challenging . I have 7 job in progress but i am working only one that is temporary . So I hope every newbie will be known that at this moment everything becoming challenging . Upwork always took right decision so don't worry newbie . Just arrange your profile add portfolio take some skill tests then bid and bid i hope everyone will be succeed . 

Good luck newbie !

Best Regards

Ramzanul Hasan

loyalalen
Community Member
Upwork I think that the "top rank & success rate feature" has done more damage than good for the majority of new members and long time odesk veterans with experience.

I mean from a clients point of view I would definitely choose the ones with a "top rank badge with lower rates" than the "regular freelancers with a good record but has been mark with 80 - 90% job success rate"

This new feature has resulted to less opportunities for more members. It doesnt matter even if the success rate of the freelancer is 95% as long as it's less than 100% then definitely clients would ignore your offer and would only pay attention to the so called "Top Rankers".

It was much better when everyone had the SAME LEVEL of profiles and clients hire freelancers base on their coverletters and offers, unlike the new system which PROFILE ranks and SUCCESS RATES has become the bases of hiring giving ONLY Top-rankers all the attention and opportunity.