🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Replacing 5-Star Average Feedback with Job Su...
Page options

Replacing 5-Star Average Feedback with Job Success Score

garnorm
Community Member

Hi all,

We remove 5-star average feedback entirely, and display only your Job Success score throughout most of the Upwork site. 5-star feedback given per contract will remain displayed on your Work History.

We’re making this decision because we’ve seen Job Success scores help top performing freelancers win more contracts. This means clients are having better experiences and coming back for more, which in turn benefits the marketplace and generates more opportunities for freelancers overall. The score helps freelancers at all levels stand out from the competition by presenting clients with a complete picture of their differences. This is an opportunity to help freelancers continue to grow their businesses that we can’t pass up.

Additionally, you can learn more about Job Success score and how it's calculated in our help article.

540 Comments
sivavranagaro
Community Member

Today I applied for a job and system warned me I don't meet qualifications of 4.5 stars rate. I went to My stats and there was 4.94. That means new feedbacks I received past few days didn't update yet. Therefore, I wasn't able to see my real new stars rate. It was hidden from me, but still used in calculation when I applied to that job. I have a question: what's purpose of the replacement when you have double filtering for the same thing, freelancer's overall working quality? One is stars rate, other is JSS. Only difference is that clients are not able to see it directly on freelancer's profile (and in my case nor am I able to see it in My stats), but still they can use filter. 

Is everything ok with forum today, because I'm sure I posted this post already, and somehow it vanished. I went to see my subscriptions after that and saw this topic first on the list.

oquintela
Community Member
sivavranagaro
Community Member

Thanks. Well, obviusly a bug, because that topic isn't among my subscriptions, while this one is.

money5510
Community Member

I feel the same way. They need to bring back just the stars, leave out a success rate that is computer operated and doesn't work properly.  A client hired me for one thing when I accepted the job I found out it was totally different than what he wanted or said initially. I basically workd for free, refunded him his money, he had free work and closed the job then my success rate dropped from 91% to 85%, how funny is that. Then a few weeks later they suspend my account for a so-called violation that I didn't do intentionally if any. I also work on other online platforms and have never had a problem there. Upwork needs to treat their freelancers better before they have none left.

fulgreat
Community Member

I'm a freelancer that works locally, through skype, and on here. For this site, I have had 34 jobs, with 31 of them having reviews, mostly 5/5 stars, and a few of around 4.5 stars. I have only 2 clients who hadn't left feedback as they had left the contract open for future work, but had become too busy managing their business and hadn't returned, they DID send the payments and e-mailed me about having done a good job. The other two have a similar story behind them, the job was done, and the client wanted to leave the contract open just in case.

Are they counting the jobs without reviews as failures? Even then, I should still have a success rate of above 91%, but instead have 87%? If counting technical success, then my rating should be 100%. I have never failed a client, because I give it my all, even if the job requires a lot of revisions or needs immense solutions. Plus, I only take on jobs I have the relative strengths for, to ensure an optimal end product produced by somebody with the skills for the job. 

radaga
Community Member

About 1 year ago I wrote an extensive message in this thread, showing why upwork is giving failing JS for old freelancers and tehrefore pushing the new clients up in the list, so they can earn more money due to a sheer number of low-cash contracts

New, they put all contracts below 10.000 dollars under a 20 fee (seriously, who win over 10.000 usd in a single contract? even having fixed clients, they usualy open and close contracts on a job-request basis - the objective of being a freelancer is to be free, so you do your work on a job-by-job basis, not 10.000 usd long term contratcs. those are regular jobs.

In other words, now they discouraged the old clients and big contracts enough, they double their fees on the small fry.

simple as water

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Andre,

Please, note that the new pricing applies to your lifetime billings with each client across all contracts—fixed-price and hourly. This means that all contract billings you have with the same client are summed up to calculate your service fee.

money5510
Community Member

Well I think upwork is all about making money. They will give you an account hold for things you didn't know are wrong, which really are not to you, but is against there rules. If they can't squeeze all money from all exchanges it's a problem. My last client wanted to pay her trademark filing fees outside of upwork and paid me through upwork and I didn't know it was not allowed, but now I know and have an account hold and lower score because of it. Those fees were not for me, but a courteous to help her pay it and i didn't see it was wrong until I was told it was in their policy.

Now they are going from 10% to 20% fees which I think is high. Well I guess it's nothing that can be done, but take this and try to make what you can, if they allow it. I like upwork and feel they are a good working platform, but wish the CEO would take into consideration some of the problems with charging so many fees, getting low rates in the first place from some clients, and not allowing the freelancer to earn what they deserve and blocking us with the score system, adding holds and allowing clients to mistreat workers at times. i also wish they would go back to the straight star and leave it like it was when it was odesk. But I guess I'll just keep waiting...

legalee
Community Member

How fast or slow does my job success rating go up or down.  I have had two 5-Star ratings in the last month with NO bad ratings and my score only moved 2 points.  Why?  Please explain.

Gary D. Moore, C.P.

petra_r
Community Member

Gary M wrote:

How fast or slow does my job success rating go up or down.  I have had two 5-Star ratings in the last month with NO bad ratings and my score only moved 2 points.  Why?  Please explain.

That's how percentages work. The closer you are to 100, the more contracts you need to make much of a difference.

You had 4 (!) "This feedback has been removed" in the past year? Without "3 months or 10 cotracts in between?"