🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Requested design updates to the Upwork Deskto...
Page options

Requested design updates to the Upwork Desktop App

lenaellis
Community Member

We’ve made several improvements to the Upwork Desktop app to help you stay organized and provide more insight into the Time Tracker’s processes by displaying more notifications about what the app is doing on the backend. Let us know if you have any questions on the updates below.

Time Tracker Layout and Settings-

• “Time today” - shows billable time tracked in your local time zone, not in UTC. However, “Time this week” still shows the weekly billable time in UTC because our weekly billing is calculated in the UTC time zone.
  • There is a connection status above the ON/OFF toggle informing you if the Time Tracker is online or offline.
  • We removed the elapsed timer which increased each minute, and replaced it with a timer which increases in 10 minute intervals after a screen capture is taken and the time is registered as billable.

TImetracker2.png

• At top of the time tracker, we are now showing the contract name, contact person and client company.
  • Because your time tracked is now showing in your local time on the main page, when a new billing week is approaching (in UTC) and after a new billing week has started, we are showing a notification to avoid confusion.

TImetracker3.png

Improvements in offline tracking:

• If the app loses connection with the server, the app will now display a notification on the screen until you dismiss it or until the connection is back.

Timetracker4.png

Timetracker5.png

• When you’re approaching the caching limit, you will see a notification.

Timetracker7.png

• And once the app is back online, we show a notification and start uploading the cached screen captures.

Timetracker8.png

111 Comments
trumanb
Community Member

What is your impression regarding new time tracker looks?

Mine is not so positive, for example I don't like the fact that we can't see time spent in ongoing session, only "today" and "this week".  Also, I prefer the old design.

I'd like to suggest to bring back this feature and would like to know what other freelancers think of new update.

petra_r
Community Member

@Miloš B wrote:

What is your impression regarding new time tracker looks?

To be honest I don't care. As long as it tracks my time and I get paid it can look however it wants.

aprilbutten
Community Member

same, I preferred to track sessions

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

As Ii stated in another thread, mine no longer automatically starts when I boot up  my computer.  Valeria replied that another update is coming in the next few days to fix some bugs.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

I have never liked TimeTracker's loose time tracking, so I always also keep track of exact time worked using Toggl and compare the two at the end of each work week.

kimberly_torchy
Community Member

That's a good idea - I may have to renew my cancelled toggl account! I find this new tracker frustrating and I have always suspected losing small amounts of time logged, here and there, but could never be 100% certain. Thanks for bringing that up, Will.

dunlop_renee
Community Member

I deleted mine. It was choking my computer speed even when not using it.

hollijmuth
Community Member

Is there a way to display the amount of time I've been working since turning the desktop app on again, and not just the total amount of time worked that day?

AveryO
Community Manager

Hi Holli, 

The time tracked will show the hours you have tracked for today, and the hours you have for this week for a specific contract. If you want to see how many hours you have logged for the week for all your contracts, you will need to stop tracking time for a specific contract, and click on the back button to see all your contracts listed. 

hollijmuth
Community Member

Hi Avery-

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to see the amount of time I have been tracking the task I am working on at that given time and have turned on the tracker for, and not a total for the day.

Before the latest update, in addition to the information shown the in the screenshot attached it showed how long the tracker had been turned on for the current job/task you were working on.