🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Requested design updates to the Upwork Deskto...
Page options

Requested design updates to the Upwork Desktop App

lenaellis
Community Member

We’ve made several improvements to the Upwork Desktop app to help you stay organized and provide more insight into the Time Tracker’s processes by displaying more notifications about what the app is doing on the backend. Let us know if you have any questions on the updates below.

Time Tracker Layout and Settings-

• “Time today” - shows billable time tracked in your local time zone, not in UTC. However, “Time this week” still shows the weekly billable time in UTC because our weekly billing is calculated in the UTC time zone.
  • There is a connection status above the ON/OFF toggle informing you if the Time Tracker is online or offline.
  • We removed the elapsed timer which increased each minute, and replaced it with a timer which increases in 10 minute intervals after a screen capture is taken and the time is registered as billable.

TImetracker2.png

• At top of the time tracker, we are now showing the contract name, contact person and client company.
  • Because your time tracked is now showing in your local time on the main page, when a new billing week is approaching (in UTC) and after a new billing week has started, we are showing a notification to avoid confusion.

TImetracker3.png

Improvements in offline tracking:

• If the app loses connection with the server, the app will now display a notification on the screen until you dismiss it or until the connection is back.

Timetracker4.png

Timetracker5.png

• When you’re approaching the caching limit, you will see a notification.

Timetracker7.png

• And once the app is back online, we show a notification and start uploading the cached screen captures.

Timetracker8.png

111 Comments
AveryO
Community Manager

I'm sorry to learn about your experience, Dmitry. I'll go ahead and check this with the team and get back to you once I have more information. 

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Dmitry, Thank you for sharing your experience in the Community. Could you please confirm if you're running the Destop app on a virtual machine?

iquant
Community Member

Hi, Vladimir, yes correct, I'm running it under VitrualBox

VladimirG
Community Manager

Thanks for confirming Dmitry. As a solution, please assign one more CPU to the virtual machine and let us know if that solves the problems you reported experiencing with the Desktop app.

iquant
Community Member

Hi Vladimir, thank you for advice, it seems like it helped. I've not been observing any lags after increasing number of CPU for virtual machine. Thank you again !

VladimirG
Community Manager

I'm glad to hear that Dmitry, thanks for the update. Let us know if you experience any problems going forward.

versailles
Community Member

"We removed the elapsed timer which increased each minute, and replaced it with a timer which increases in 10 minute intervals after a screen capture is taken and the time is registered as billable."

I just noticed that. Why the frak did you remove this timer? Who asked you to remove it?

Who decided that? Can he or she come over here so we could talk a bit?

tprukija
Community Member

I apologize if this has been answered before but I can't seem to find how to open messages in the new app...is that part not available anymore or am I doing something wrong?

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Tomislav,

Can you please confirm you can see and are able to select the Messages icon in the lower-right corner of the Desktop app window?

Messages App2.png

tprukija
Community Member

Hi Vladimir,

no, nothing there...