cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requested design updates to the Upwork Desktop App

Lee M Member Since: Jun 30, 2014
21 of 97

I really liked the elapsed timer as I would make it a point to work through a 10 minute block of time. This way, I don't know if I'm two minutes into my next 10 minute block or nine minutes in. 

Please put the elapsed timer back! Thanks!!!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
22 of 97

@Lee M wrote:

I really liked the elapsed timer as I would make it a point to work through a 10 minute block of time. This way, I don't know if I'm two minutes into my next 10 minute block or nine minutes in.

No Lee, the segments are always the same: XX.00 to XX.10, XX.10 to XX.20, XX.20 to XX.30, XX.30 to XX.40, XX.40 to XX.50, XX.50 to XX.00

So for that you just need a clock as you are 4 minutes into the 6.20 to 6.30 am block when it is 6.24, for example.

23 of 97

So I have to remember/record the time I start working - sounds like the change to the app added a step to my work process...

Community Guru
24 of 97

@Lee M wrote:

So I have to remember/record the time I start working - sounds like the change to the app added a step to my work process...

Hm? That part has always been like that. The segments have always been this way.

I tend to just start at the beginning of a segment ( XX.00, XX.10, XX.20 etc etc) as that way my first segments are always full.

I don't like the new style tracker either, but nothing has changed as to the way the time itself is tracked, billed, and paid.

25 of 97

So, if you start working at 2:10 and stop working at 2:45, technically, the client is paying for five minutes that you didn't work. If this happens six times in a week, the client is paying for half an hour more than the time you actually worked. Do you understand my logic? I relied on the elapsed timer to work as close to a full 10 minute block as I could. Do your tasks/jobs always work out to multiple of 10 minutes? I do understand that starting at :10 or :20, etc., will guarantee a full first segment, I guess I can try harder to start right on a 10 minute mark... I just wish I didn't have to change my habit (you know, being a human that doesn't like change...).

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
26 of 97

@Lee M wrote:

So, if you start working at 2:10 and stop working at 2:45, technically, the client is paying for five minutes that you didn't work. If this happens six times in a week, the client is paying for half an hour more than the time you actually worked. Do you understand my logic? I relied on the elapsed timer to work as close to a full 10 minute block as I could. Do your tasks/jobs always work out to multiple of 10 minutes? I do understand that starting at :10 or :20, etc., will guarantee a full first segment, I guess I can try harder to start right on a 10 minute mark... I just wish I didn't have to change my habit (you know, being a human that doesn't like change...).

Clients could pay for non-working time in your example, unless they challenge segments based on half the activity. Both overpayment and underpayment are possible. 

@As Upwork actually works, synching our activity to 10-minute segments/cycles produces the most accurate and least challengeable work records. Now that @Petra has reminded us this is how the system works, I can adjust.

When I was doing this before, and not relying on the faux timer (eye candy), I actually found benefit in that I became more systematic and disciplined about timing my breaks as well as my work.

Muhammad K Member Since: Feb 25, 2018
27 of 97

The latest version of Desktop App installed today is consuming 100% CPU even it hangs the system.The issue servived after reinstalling the software. Also, the Beta version tried along with selecting the conserved cpu usage in advanced setting didn't resolved the issue.

Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
28 of 97

@Muhammad K wrote:

The latest version of Desktop App installed today is consuming 100% CPU even it hangs the system.The issue servived after reinstalling the software. Also, the Beta version tried along with selecting the conserved cpu usage in advanced setting didn't resolved the issue.

I gather, based on what I read from the latest TeamApp version's End Users' License Agreement (EULA) that there are "parties" whose right to enjoy the use of this site may be compromised with a freelancer's unempowered use of the licensed software that is offered to us for FREE.  Have you tried to resort to the "empowered" approach in using the TeamApp whose sacredness as a digital tool has always been repeatedly established in any of the community forums?

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
29 of 97

@Petra R wrote:

@Lee M wrote:

No Lee, the segments are always the same: XX.00 to XX.10, XX.10 to XX.20, XX.20 to XX.30, XX.30 to XX.40, XX.40 to XX.50, XX.50 to XX.00

So for that you just need a clock as you are 4 minutes into the 6.20 to 6.30 am block when it is 6.24, for example.

So it would seem from the work diaries. So we "just" need a clock, because the timer is not a timer. (And never has been, in the way some of us have been thinking of it?)

Community Guru
30 of 97

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

So it would seem from the work diaries. So we "just" need a clock, because the timer is not a timer. (And never has been, in the way some of us have been thinking of it?)

It counts and bills and charges 10 minute segments. 6 of them per hour. Always has done. The segments are, and always have been, XX.00 to XX.10, XX.10 to XX.20, XX.20 to XX.30, XX.30 to XX.40, XX.40 to XX.50, XX.50 to XX.00

Segments with keyboard and / or mouse activity and a screenshot are counted, billed, and charged. There is never more than one screenshot in any one segment. Logging off before a screenshot has been taken in any one segment means the segment is not counted, billed or charged.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS