cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requested design updates to the Upwork Desktop App

Frances Ellen P Member Since: Mar 19, 2018
51 of 97

Thank you for considering our feedback.

Also, if you're rolling out something as important as this, something that affects your users' income, you should have a comprehensive guide and change log of all the specific changes that were made. UI changes, time tracking changes, billing and invoicing changes. I searched your help pages but I could not find it anywhere.

I also work after midnight and I follow my client's timezone, so the change from UTC will be messing up the billing period. 

I still am confused about most things and it has ruined my old working method. 

David M Member Since: Jun 26, 2017
52 of 97

The recent update to the Desktop tracking app has clearly highlighted some fundamental omissions in design, it is cleatly a step backwards.

No current session timer.

When the server stops responding, so does the app. It should lock the times, and then show the cached time as well.  Today, it went from 30 hours to 0, and then counted in the background without displaying anything it was doing for hours, remaining at zero the whole time. At the very least it should tell me to stop working when the 12 hour cache is filled up. At present it gives no indication at all.

It should also give me more meaning full error messages.  Unknown Error is bull**bleep**. Someone somewhere had to raise this error and should give it a meaningful name.

I have lost a lot of trust in the tracking app in just a few days since it updated. I am seriously looking elsewhere for work because my time is valuable, and you need to start taking that seriously.

If I had built this software, I would fully expect the client to ask for their money back, it clearly does not work well enough for all us freelancers to be depending on it.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for improvements?  Companies pay big money to design their apps, and here we are giving advice for free; it seems to be the latest theme, working for free on Upwork.

53 of 97

Is started this thread with a reasonable question to others.  Now you've pushed my message down the page. Please put it at the top where it should be.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
54 of 97

Hi David,

I moved your post about the most recent Upwork App update to this original announcement thread. We often merge and move posts to keep things organized and to make sure the posts are visible for Upwork teams and users who are subscribed and checking the thread.

Also, please note that where the post shows on the thread depends on how a specific Community member who's viewing it sorts the posts. For example, I sort posts from Newest to Oldest and your post appears right on top.

Thank you for your feedback.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
57 of 97

The time tracker isn't working right now for me either. It's offline but is still taking screenshots.

Having the tracker go off line perfectly illustrates why we need to be able to keep track of the amount of time we work in a current session.

I am getting close to the time limit on one of my contracts. Since the tracker is off line, the amount of time I have left in the contract is not being updated. With the old tracker, this was not such a problem because I could easily figure out how much time I had worked by looking at the time in the current session.

Since you took this away, I can no longer do this and have to guess at how much time I've actually worked and hope I don't go over my time limit.

Please give us back UTC time (with the option to change it to local time or UTC time) and the timer for the current session.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
57 of 97

Hi all,

Please note that we're currently having issues with our website, which is affecting your use of the Desktop app. We apologize for the inconvenience, please check the update Goran just posted here.

Please do continue logging time since the app's cache was expanded to hold 12 hours of cached time in the latest version and do not clear cache or restart your app to avoid deleting the cached time. Our team is working on fixing the root cause of the issue as soon as possible and we'll post an update on the thread linked above once we receive a confirmation that the issue has been resolved. 

Andrii G Member Since: Aug 2, 2018
57 of 97

Tracker just forced me to update version, so my tracking cache could be gone?

And I really do not like that you remove actual timer output as it was in older version. So if tracker is offline (regarding issues on your service like todays big sync issue or something), it shows me ZERO instead of work time!

Andriy L Member Since: Jun 24, 2018
58 of 97

Same here.

Time Tracker just does not expose cached time and shows zero when connection is lost.

Very inconvenient.

59 of 97

You keep going on about the 12 hours of cache, but we cannot see it, we cannot see how much is left, we cannot see anything working.....

Mellisa T Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
60 of 97

I wish you guys didn't change the visibility of the total time per week. It used to be very prominent, now it's too small. Anyway, please fix the desktop app. It's currently not working. It won't let me log in. It keeps saying "An unknown error has occurred." And before that, it wasn't tracking my time for 3 hours. Please fix this, thanks!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS