Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Researching and evaluating skill tests

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 24

We are continuously working on improvements to freelancer profiles so users are able to better market their services and showcase their skills and experience on our platform. As we are working on these features and gathering feedback, we are also researching what isn’t working well. Freelancers and clients frequently share negative feedback about skill tests, even here in the forums, because they can be outdated and do not accurately represent freelancers’ skills.

As a result, over the next few weeks, we’ll be running an experiment to collect data on skill tests. You may notice some changes on the platform related to skill tests during this time.

Untitled
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 24

Lena E wrote:

As a result, over the next few weeks, we’ll be running an experiment

Be afraid... Be very afraid. Smiley Very Happy

Christopher A Member Since: Feb 13, 2019
3 of 24

Hello.

I'm new on Upwork.

I took many tests related on my skills like Javascript, Wordpress, PHP and so on.

I've got interview from one client and he said he can't see my test score.

And he also sent me screenshot and really there wasn't Test area.

I've got high marks for all tests so I really want to show them to client.

Please help me.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 24

Hi Christopher,

We’re running a test to determine whether or not skill tests are a valuable indicator of a freelancer’s skillset.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 24

Valeria K wrote:

We’re running a test to determine whether or not skill tests are a valuable indicator of a freelancer’s skillset.

So the "test" consists of (or includes) hiding the existing test results of some freelancers?

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
6 of 24

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Christopher,

Then send this prospective client a message sharing Christopher's scores. Don't make him collateral damage in your test!

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
7 of 24

Is there any update on this? I'd really like to know what's going on, especially if Upwork is hiding some of our test results. Some clients actually ask about test scores (it's one of the annoying questions that Upwork suggests them to include in the job post).

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
8 of 24

Hi Isabelle Anne, 

For now, we do not have an update on this test but we'll make sure to share any significant information with the Community if we hear back from the team. 

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
9 of 24

Sorry, to make it clear, I don't mean an update on Upwork's findings from the test.

I would like to know if some freelancers' tests / test results are being hidden from clients. I just need a yes or no, because if they are being hidden, it puts affected freelancers at a disadvantage when they apply to clients who value tests (and there are a lot of them).

We have a right to know that at least, don't we?

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
10 of 24

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Sorry, to make it clear, I don't mean an update on Upwork's findings from the test.

I would like to know if some freelancers' tests/ test results are being hidden from clients. I just need a yes or no, because if they are being hidden, it puts affected freelancer at a disadvantage when they apply to clients who value tests (and there are a lot of them).

We have a right to know that at least, don't we?

I would also like to know the answer to this question, especially because TWO moderators have now ducked it rather artlessly.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS