Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rising Talent Program *NOW LIVE*

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 210

**Update currently live for all eligible freelancers**

Hey Everyone,

We are announcing the launch of our Rising Talent program. This new program provides freelancers without a long history on Upwork with extra perks to get started on Upwork, grow earnings and demonstrate their reputation quickly to prospective clients in the marketplace.

New Freelancers without a Job Success score are eligible to participate. Participation is optional, but take these steps if you’d like to be considered for participation in this program:

As a member of Rising Talent, you’ll have:

• A Rising Talent badge on your profile
  • Inclusion in a premium talent pool from which top clients source talent
  • A one-time bonus of 30 free Connects
  • Premium chat and ticket support
  • Personalized profile tips

We’re excited to have another way for freelancers to stand out and be more successful on the Upwork platform.

Some FAQs on Rising Talent

Can you lose Rising Talent status?

Yes, freelancers must have their account in good standing, maintain a complete profile with availability, and do great work.  Freelancers also “graduate” from the program when they complete enough projects to display a  Job Success score.  

You have Rising Talent and Top Rated badges now. I’m a good freelancer with 5-star Feedback and I have neither. How am I supposed to stand out to clients?

We introduced the Job Success Score in March 2015 as a new, more complete reflection of your client satisfaction. Your Job Success Score is a measure of your work and reputation on Upwork and is based on your relationships and feedback. Learn more about your Job Success Score and how to build your reputation on Upwork.

What constitutes a “high-quality” profile?

A high quality profile is 100% complete and contains specific details about your professional qualifications and services you offer. Make sure you include a short description for each role listed in the Employment History section and your degree and school in the Education section. Be proactive in updating your profile routinely with new experiences and content that will improve your qualifications and help you land more jobs. Learn more about how to create a high quality profile.  

How do you know if I’m “carefully screening” job posts? Is this based on how long I spend on a job post?

Success comes to those who only submit proposals for jobs that "fit." If a job specifies Preferred Qualifications and you do not meet those qualifications, your time is better spent applying to jobs you're more qualified for. You’ll want pay special attention to the following when screening job posts: skills fit, availability fit, expertise fit, and client quality. Learn more about searching and applying for jobs, and about delivering great work.

I’m new to the platform. If I’m not Top Rated and not Rising Talent, where do I fit in? How do I stand out?

If you are a new freelancer, make sure you qualify for the Rising Talent program by adhering to Upwork terms of use and maintaining a high-quality and complete profile. But the most important qualification is to submit proposals only to relevant jobs for your skill set. If you’ve completed several projects on Upwork, make sure you are delivering consistent, high quality results for your clients to meet the requirements for Top Rated. Learn more about how to become a Top Rated freelancer.

Untitled
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 210

Kudos to Upwork for a great idea, and good luck to those chosen to participate.

3 of 210

I like the idea, but what exactly are the specifics for eligibility? Only 1-3 contracts in the past? No long term contracts? 100 hours below?  Also, are agency freelancers eligible since they are excluded in the JS program? 

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
4 of 210

When can we expect a "hey, you've been here forever, and despite two years passing, you're still loyal to us and haven't taken your client offsite" program?

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
5 of 210

We're working on that one Krisztina! 

Untitled
Jennifer H Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
6 of 210

Hello I am new.  Where do I apply for the Rising Talent Program?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 210

I really, really like the idea of the "Rising Talent" program.

I think there are good contractors with professional attitudes and genuine skill who can be an asset to the Upwork community, but who struggle to get a foothold.

By the same token, I really would like to see a "Get the Heck out of Here" program for some OTHER new contractors.

Or at least a "cooling off" period for new contractors who post REALLY BAD profiles and then wonder why their profiles aren't approved. I don't know why Upwork's messages claim that the profiles will be reviewed within "12 hours." I would prefer "12 months" for some of these people.

Suzzad A Member Since: Mar 19, 2016
8 of 210

Hello did you find your answer yet. I have the same question as yours.

Mark T Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
9 of 210

Are you still taking applicatons for this program? I'm new here but the few clients Ive had , I have a success.. However, the job success score is the very issue that I'm struggling with. Many clients have kept my contracts in limbo so they can get back to me once they get more funds. The other factor was due to my first 2 clients. The first loved my work but I appreciated the opportunity by doing it for free... after he gave me a good rating.. It was dumb.. Odesk explained that. Then my second client scammed me and I have an explanation on how he did it leaving me with no choice but to refund him even though he used my work anyway and said so.. He laughed at me in writing. . So, althoiugh those were valuable learning experiences, they've been making my career here an uphill battle considering how happy each of my clients have beenwith me outside of that second client. 

Mark T Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
10 of 210

I guess you could say that my applying is an act of begging for mercy .. I feel I'm falling through the cracks of getting the success rate my own clients say I deserve. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS