cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Russian Freelancer Documentation for Wire Transfers

Denis N Member Since: Apr 21, 2016
191 of 202

Hello everybody,

Does someone on Upwork have info about russian NDS (VAT)? 
Russia added changes to law and from 1st January 2019 non-resident electronic service providers should to declare and pay VAT. I got emails from a few companies (for example Digital Ocean) which say I will be charged 20% fee (VAT) from the new year. WIll Upwork planning to add VAT to fees for Russian freelancers?

Thanks.

Andrei V Member Since: Dec 16, 2018
192 of 202

yes, it is very important question even for Belarus.

Andrei V Member Since: Dec 16, 2018
193 of 202

Sergey H.

Unfortunately, I can't send you direct message of forum or via profile. Hence I send this messages here. Why and where you found this form? How you pay taxes?

Sergey H Member Since: Nov 28, 2018
194 of 202

It doesn`t apply to the topic, so I texted you in PM

Maxim F Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
195 of 202

A month has passed is there any update on this?

Aleksandr S Member Since: Jul 25, 2015
196 of 202

Hello Upwork,

CoS signing process should be enhanced, last month signing took 10-23!!! hours. It's very very big time for this easy operation: just need to check date, name and amount; and add Upwork sign....

I asked several times last months in support chat to forward this issue to the support managers, but nothing was changed. It's totally not good.

I proposed to automate signing CoS process (automatic generation CoS with upwork sign after payout) or add additionally 10, 100, 1000 workers. Or sign CoS for Top-Rated freelancer more quickly...

Alexander N Member Since: Jul 29, 2015
197 of 202

Hello everyone!

I'm totally agree with Aleksandr. It used to take two hours and now it's a day.

Community Leader
Aleksandr S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
198 of 202

Guys, don't wake up the monster! Two years ago Upwork introduced the new documents that "simplified" our life and it gave us all the shivers. God bless they returned everything back. Perfect is the enemy of good.

Now the delay is likely caused by Christmas. Swift is not transferring the money and there is still no signed CoS.

Community Leader
Aleksandr S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
199 of 202

So Upwork is not registered as a VAT payer. And according to the Transaction History, we're not charged the additional 20%. How does this affect us from the Russian law's point of view?

Yaroslav K Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
200 of 202

Speaking of VAT, starting January 1, 2019, we don't have to pay VAT when working with Upwork. Instead, Upwork should register as a VAT payer in russian Tax Service and pay it itself. Will it do it or not - it's up to them.

Here's some description of this news: https://zakon.ru/blog/2018/11/09/nalog_na_google_ili_skazka_o_tom_chto_s_1_yanvarya_2019_g_inostrann...

As always, there are some caveats, but technically it's not our problem anymore.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS