cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Show clients you’re available to work right now with the availability badge (Beta test)

audrey1111
Ace Contributor
Audrey S Member Since: Sep 26, 2020
11 of 145

Weird.

This kind of gamification makes Upwork seem much less appealing and professional to me as a freelancer. We're not Uber drivers.

Also, "available now" is too binary a setting... one could be available for an hour-long immediate project, but not one that would take a week or a month, or vice versa. The current settings of 30+ hours, less than 30 hours, and not available are MUCH more useful.

geri_kol
Community Leader
Gergana K Member Since: Dec 11, 2019
12 of 145

This is such a gimmick. It looks, sounds, and smells like the classical "solution looking for a problem." But what is the "problem" this feature is aiming to fix? That freelancers by and large are too busy to accept new projects and therefore are turning down too many client invitations? Or that freelancers who rarely land any projects are asking for more bells and whistles on their profiles, thinking that having one more random adjustable setting will somehow magically help them get jobs? Who stands to gain anything from this, other than Upwork trying to get desperate FLs to purchase more connects? I don´t get it. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 145

Hi Gergana,

A common problem we’re trying to address for clients is sending invites to talent who are not available to receive invites at that particular time, even though they keep their profile public. We’re also trying to provide talent with a better way to signal to clients that they are actively seeking new work. In general, we believe this badge may be most beneficial to freelancers who already catch the eye of clients because they have a history of doing great work on our site. So, for example, if you already receive invites on a regular basis, we anticipate this badge will be a good tool for you. Of course, testing will tell us more.

~ Valeria
Upwork
a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
14 of 145

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Gergana,

A common problem we’re trying to address for clients is sending invites to talent who are not available to receive invites at that particular time, even though they keep their profile public. We’re also trying to provide talent with a better way to signal to clients that they are actively seeking new work. In general, we believe this badge may be most beneficial to freelancers who already catch the eye of clients because they have a history of doing great work on our site. So, for example, if you already receive invites on a regular basis, we anticipate this badge will be a good tool for you. Of course, testing will tell us more.

Valeria, but the reason we may not be available at the time of invite is that the client wants a substantial amount of last minute work and we can't drop everything to do it. 

I juggle numerous projects at once. Almost all of the invites I have received in the last week had last minute turnaround times that I am not available for. However, for clients who have given their projects the appropriate amount of time to discuss and complete, I do have time for. 

The reasons we decline invites aren't always the whole truth. So now, I'd have to buy this badge to show a client I'm available, but I'm still going to decline invites from clients who want 40 hours of work done in 2 days.

wescowley
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
15 of 145

Amanda L wrote:

Valeria, but the reason we may not be available at the time of invite is that the client wants a substantial amount of last minute work and we can't drop everything to do it. 

I juggle numerous projects at once. Almost all of the invites I have received in the last week had last minute turnaround times that I am not available for. However, for clients who have given their projects the appropriate amount of time to discuss and complete, I do have time for. 

The reasons we decline invites aren't always the whole truth. So now, I'd have to buy this badge to show a client I'm available, but I'm still going to decline invites from clients who want 40 hours of work done in 2 days.

Exactly. If this gets rolled out or I wind up in the test, I'll almost certainly have this on 100% of the time, because my availability for a specific project depends on what they're asking for and what their timeline is. I've turned down invitations when I had no work on my plate because while I could take the work, I couldn't deliver it in the timeframe they needed. And I accept invitations when I'm booked 3 or 4 weeks out because it's something I can squeeze in or the client has longer deadlines that will work out.

One size doesn't fit all here.  

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
16 of 145

Wes C wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

Exactly. If this gets rolled out or I wind up in the test, I'll almost certainly have this on 100% of the time, because my availability for a specific project depends on what they're asking for and what their timeline is. I've turned down invitations when I had no work on my plate because while I could take the work, I couldn't deliver it in the timeframe they needed. And I accept invitations when I'm booked 3 or 4 weeks out because it's something I can squeeze in or the client has longer deadlines that will work out.

One size doesn't fit all here.  

Exactly, Wes. I am actually booked out through December 2021. But I still respond to invites that have the appropriate amount of lead time for me to work in as I do have capacity here and there if it's the RIGHT project. I decline a lot of projects saying I'm too busy because the project is clearly disorganized and a mess, and I don't have time or energy to deal with that. Whereas another project I may take on because the client has their act together. It seems to me that problem isn't freelancer availability, but client planning and disorganization. 

amt17
Community Guru
Annette E Member Since: Mar 17, 2018
17 of 145

Valeria K wrote:

A common problem we’re trying to address for clients is sending invites to talent who are not available to receive invites at that particular time.

If that is the problem you want to solve, then add a calendar where we can show availability.

It is hardly a competitive parameter to be "available now" (one could wonder how sought after you actually are if you're instantly available 24/7).

I assume that a lot of us plan our work weeks or at least days in advance to avoid non-earning gaps.

designchampion
Chris M Member Since: Nov 12, 2018
18 of 145

Your thinking does not take into account that the job interview process for both sides for large projects such as logo design often take 1 to 2 weeks, and clients are aware that high quality talent is often booked in advance. I am often booked 2 weeks to even a month and a half in advance and clients will interview with me before that time and fully fund a $5000 project 1 month before the project even begins to hold their spot.  For some small amatuer graphic design jobs this may make sense, but for professional level work that involves a longer interview process and project timeline, it is not appropriate.

Upwork does not need to be the platform for instant talent, because superstars are always in demand and it's not the ability to instantly hire superstars that upwork is known for, it is the ability to connect clients with the superstars for their projects that upwork excels at.  Don't forget your focus and brand's purpose.

ceefaeca
Community Leader
Aru B Member Since: Sep 19, 2020
19 of 145

Unfortunately, I cannot see any option to turn this badge on. For me, there is no "Edit Profile" in the profile settings. 

Edit:

Oh, I just noticed it is not open for all! 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
20 of 145

Hi Hannah and Upwork,

Any way I can get in on this? I don't appear to be in on the beta and I would like to test this since I get clients unsure if I have time for them.