cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Showing Active Earners in Search Results

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 647

Starting June 30th, we’ll be fine tuning Freelancer Search by removing inactive users in Search results. This change is intended to help clients quickly and easily find available freelancers for their projects and reduce competition for our top freelancers, by presenting only freelancers who are actively earning money through Upwork. This is one of the initiatives we previewed in March.

How will this work?

Freelancer profiles will automatically change to “private” if they haven’t earned money on Upwork for 30 days (50 days for new freelancers). This change isn’t permanent and only impacts search results—freelancers can continue submitting proposals. And once a freelancer starts to earn again, their profile will become public.

We understand there may be circumstances that prevent a freelancer from earning. So, we’ve made the process simple and easy to make a profile visible again in Search results. When a freelancer logs into their account they’ll see a pop-up notification with all the options available to set their visibility back to “public.” These options are also shown on the “Find Work” tab and under the “Visibility” status on your profile.

This new change in search reults will have no impact on your ability to apply to and win jobs. If you have a Freelance Plus membership, this visibility change will not affect you. By having a Freelance Plus membership your profile will continue to remain public even when you’re not actively earning.

This change is also meant to help protect clients and freelancers from off-platform work, which is against our Terms of Service. Learn more about showing active earners in search results here.

Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 647

Lena,

I'm sorry, but this is totally unfair. It seems Upwork already has its top-rated pets to offer clients (the top-rated register). I have not had a decent gig on Upwork for weeks. If my profile gets set to private, that will completely put an end to my getting any jobs at all and I might just as well cancel my account. And I am sure I am not the only person this will affect, top-rated or not.

It also  smacks of blackmail because to keep a profile visible, one will have to subscribe to the Freelance plus membership. And what will I do with the extra connects? Keep them rolling over, or apply for every job that is even remotely possible and get my account suspended because I have over-applied?

As to protection - perhaps Upwork should protect its members - clients and freelancers alike - from profile stealers, scammers, and the like.

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
3 of 647

Hi Nichola,

Our goal is not to target the great freelancers who use our marketplace. And we understand there are users who are not able to consistently earn because of various reasons. As said in the announcement, if your profile is set to private, you will be able to quickly change it back to public. When logging into your account, you’ll see a pop-up notification with the options available to you. Although signing up for a Freelance Plus membership is the best way to keep your profile from changing to private if you're not consistently earning, there are also free options that will change your visibility back to public in search. 

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 647

I agree about hiding completely inactive freelancers. Those who have not been trying to find work in a couple of years. But this does target top-rated freelancers who are active, but who are not landing the gigs. Not landing the gigs because some of us refuse to work for slave wages.

So why do I have to do the extra finger exercise to get my profile visible again? In fact, why bother? Why can't Upwork fix its ongoing problems before rolling out new and unwieldy programs?

Upwork is beginning to make other platforms look like paradise.

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
5 of 647

Nichola, I'd give you many more kudos for this if I could.

Community Leader
Gary Val T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
6 of 647

Ditto!

Unfortunately, it seems the people who own UpWork don't really care what we think as long as they're making a fortune off of us. I read somewhere that there is something like 12 million freelancers on UpWork. So why should UpWork care what we think when we're a dime a dozen? For every freelancer who leaves UpWork there are probably 3 more signing up. We are, quite literally, expendable.

Community Leader
Gary Val T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
7 of 647

"Not landing the gigs because some of us refuse to work for slave wages."

Man, Nichola, you nailed that one! I swear there must be freelancers here who are working for mere pennies while UpWork is making a killing. 

Elizabeth H Member Since: Jul 16, 2017
8 of 647

I guess I have been inactive on Upwork, but certainly not as a freelancer.  By my record, you can see I have had nothing but steady work for Upwork in all its iterations.  It would seem that the easier it is for me to get work, the better it is for Upwork.  I see tons of work on Upwork that I am sure I can get because I've been super fortunate in obtaining  work.  Strapping a keystone around my neck and telling me to swim hard hardly strikes me as insentive to perform.   But you know best, right? Have you thought of what the new company will be named once Upwork has to reorganize?

Vishal A Member Since: Jul 19, 2017
9 of 647

I'm still not able to get those notification from where I can switch my proile to VIsible.

Please help

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 647

Hi Vishal,

You can go to your Find Work page, hover your mouse over the profile visibility setting and you'll see the options available to you.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS