cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upwork set my profile to private

Highlighted
Ritam B Member Since: Sep 26, 2013
581 of 647

I dont know why this stupid old post is coming up again! But you are surely not talking and general and replied to a particular comment of mine. You just jumped the gun and made a comment even before checking my profile. At least take a minute out and check my profile before making comments like this. Or beter check my LinkedIn profile. Who on earth said dont want money or money is a bad thing? Upwork is not the only place to make money so not working on Upwork for money IS NOT same as dont want money. Do you have the basic sense to understand this? I dont mind if you comment on others, but if you are talking about me then you are bloody wrong. Run a check before commenting.

Buncha posers is it? Surprised to see language like this used here. Or is it something to do with your upbringing.

Anyways, I am not sure why people are still complaining about this particular locked private feature. It should be clear that Upwork WILL NOT change this. So you either accept it, Or leave Upwork, Or file a anti-monopoly case.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
582 of 647

oic ty for ur informations

Highlighted
Ritam B Member Since: Sep 26, 2013
583 of 647

My pleasure! Always at your disposal your highness.

Highlighted
Vladislav S Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
584 of 647

I'm the exact example of Tonya's post, I have the upwork profile link attached to my linkedin profile as well as to my CV. So I actually expect potential employers to be able to see my profile, work history, feedbacks. I had upwork contracts started from a conversation on linkedin and asked them to create a job offer on upwork just for the sake of future clients being able to see my work history.

Just a note: all of those changes do not affect me, they affect members of my agency.

I see that the moderators got instructions from their employers/supervisors/whatever to say that it's all about clients being able to find "active" candidates. That sounds like a good idea, but wait, why cannot you just exclude "inactive" freelancers from the search by freelancers functionality leaving their profiles public? I see you already excluded freelancer pages from being indexed by search engines, so what is it for - making profiles private? Just don't show the "inactive" freelancers in any kind of suggestions for the clients.

So, I suppose there is an upwork product manager, or "chief of product managements" , or maybe even "vice president" thinking: oh, we bought ("merged") elance, now we are the biggest freelance platform in the world and, frankly speaking, considering our monopoly we can do almost whatever we want, let's change the profit model, forcing freelancers to bring us more money. Firstly, let's introduce JSS and Top Rated programs that are not going to actually show if the freelancers work well but forcing them to be active, make at least $1000 a year, decline annoying invitation withing 24 hours and so on. Nice, but that's not enough, let's introduce hiding of the freelancer accounts for the sake of "providing better search results to clients" but frankly speaking we want to whip up freelancers to give us money every month (not via the "plus" membership but via sending more proposals and accepting offers that would seem unattractive to them another time).

That sounds pretty good from the perspective of upwork, freelancers can think whatever they want, they can crush the community forums, insult moderators but they don't have a lot of alternatives.

Highlighted
Alen D Member Since: Oct 28, 2015
585 of 647

@Vladislav S wrote:

why cannot you just exclude "inactive" freelancers from the search by freelancers functionality leaving their profiles public? 

Looks pretty logical indeed. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
586 of 647

@Vladislav S wrote:

That sounds like a good idea, but wait, why cannot you just exclude "inactive" freelancers from the search by freelancers functionality leaving their profiles public?

What would be the upside? It wouldn't help freelancers get hired THROUGH Upwork, and Upwork is likely not interested in serving as a portfolio to help freelancers get hired outside the platform, so what would be the rationale for keeping profiles public while excluding them from search?

I see you already excluded freelancer pages from being indexed by search engines, so what is it for - making profiles private?

What makes you think that? My profile shows up in a Google search. 

Highlighted
Vladislav S Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
587 of 647
>It wouldn't help freelancers get hired THROUGH Upwork, and Upwork is likely not interested in serving as a portfolio to help freelancers get hired outside the platform

You are probably the vice president of upwork if you think you can speak for the whole organization, aren't you? So you think that the company is not interested in my money I pay from the earnings from that client that I brought to upwork? Probably that's the reason why the company sends me emails saying that I will pay 5 or 10% (don't remember) fee from earnings of the clients that I bring to the platform.

Regarding indexing, yes you're right, my mistake, I was under impression that I saw the noindex meta tag in my profile page.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
588 of 647

@Vladislav S wrote:
>It wouldn't help freelancers get hired THROUGH Upwork, and Upwork is likely not interested in serving as a portfolio to help freelancers get hired outside the platform

You are probably the vice president of upwork if you think you can speak for the whole organization, aren't you? So you think that the company is not interested in my money I pay from the earnings from that client that I brought to upwork? Probably that's the reason why the company sends me emails saying that I will pay 5 or 10% (don't remember) fee from earnings of the clients that I bring to the platform.

Regarding indexing, yes you're right, my mistake, I was under impression that I saw the noindex meta tag in my profile page.

Your response makes exactly zero sense.

I said Upwork is "likely not interested," so you decided that I presumed to speak for the organization?

I said Upwork wasn't interested in helping you get hired OUTSIDE the platform, so you decided that I was saying Upwork wasn't interested in you getting hired THROUGH the platform?

Is it opposite day?

Highlighted
Nneka H Member Since: Apr 3, 2016
589 of 647

Upwork set my profile to private because I haven't earned in a while. Most of the jobs I have gotten have been through a client reaching out to me first. This move will only ensure that I never get any work since most applications are not responded to. I'm not sure why locking my account was necessary or helps upwork at all. I don't spam clients with applications.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Nick B Member Since: Sep 11, 2015
590 of 647

I had the same thing this week, even though I've applied to jobs within the last few days. I can see why they want to reduce numbers of inactive users but they have a strange way of doing it. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS