cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing Active Earners in Search Results

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
31 of 639

I agree with what you all have said above.  I've probably only earned $100 on the platform in the last 30 days and may well not earn any in the next 30 days as I've been quite busy with off-platform clients.

I am quite sure that there are better methods to address the stale/ dormant freelance profiles than this.

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
32 of 639

Ela, If you haven't earned for 30 days your profile would be set to private in search. Changing your status to unavailable will not change this setting. However, if you're taking time off and then return to Upwork to begin looking for contracts, you will find several options to make your profile public again. 

The reason we aren't just targeting inactive freelancers is because this initiative is part of a larger initiative to help secure our platform. We are hoping this will remind and encourage clients and freelancers to make and receive payments through Upwork, which is required per our Terms of Service. 

Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
33 of 639

I do not see how this will "secure" the platform. Also, this was a particularly inopportune moment to make this announcement, in view of Upwork's mega **bleep**-up over test taking and its heavy-handed and unfounded accusations of cheating against a highly respected member of this community.

Upwork should fix the things that 'aint fixed before rolling out new unpopular features.

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
34 of 639

Nichola posted:

I do not see how this will "secure" the platform. Also, this was a particularly inopportune moment to make this announcement, in view of Upwork's mega **bleep**-up over test taking and its heavy-handed and unfounded accusations of cheating against a highly respected member of this community.

Upwork should fix the things that 'aint fixed before rolling out new unpopular features.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

AMEN; can I hear another?!

Daniel Guillermo B Member Since: Jul 24, 2015
35 of 639

@Pat M wrote:

AMEN; can I hear another?!

Well, I think the same. There may be times when awarding projects do not arise on the platform and that does not necessarily mean that we are working "off the limits". I also understand that one can manually reverse the visibility from the panel, but this may be somewhat annoying and may negatively impact the comfort of some colleagues by choosing to work on this platform.
Kind regards,
Daniel

Ace Contributor
Alfonsina S Member Since: Oct 10, 2015
36 of 639

Isn´t it much fairer to set to private profiles of people who haven´t Log In for 90 days? 

I´ve had 1 to 2 month with absolutely no work because I didn't find anything interesting or worth sending a proposal to.

And suddenly I find either a good job or invitation. But I do keep coming every day and check what´s going on; finding good project takes time.

Now, if somebody does not Log In on at least 90 days - well, that´s questionable.
And sounds fair to set it to private. 

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
37 of 639

Ela, I'd give you many more kudos for this if I could. 

Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
38 of 639

Inactive means that you are not submitting proposals and it should be active if you are applying for jobs. 

It is rediculous to make someone inactive if freelancer does not win a job. 

That is completely unfair. 

Should Upwork take votes of the freelancers before introduce anything new? 

Do you agree? 

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
39 of 639

P.S. I wouldn't necessarily call this endeavour "fine tuning" the search. That would imply it worked more smoothly than before. Meaning, things have been fixed Upwork admits are less than perfect.

@Nicola: I understand "securing" the platform as in make sure money comes in more regularly (highlight money makers & Plus membership). The first I wouldn't mind if the system were reliable.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
40 of 639

Lena, the unlucky messenger of again poorly thought-out U. decisions ...

30 days is ludicrous.  90 days might make sense.  

As others have said:

1. fix the continual and ongoing problems first

2. as long as viable bids are placed no freelancer should be impacted in this manner

But, gee - doing either of the above, let alone both, would necessitate

1. someone thinking 

2. spending a few dollars.

As you know, I am all for getting rid of the dead weight. 30 days, however, is not the aplicable restriction. I grant you it might be the easiest - but it sure isn't efficient, logical or effective.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS