cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing Active Earners in Search Results

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
41 of 639

I'm OK with this decision. Maybe, 30 days is too short, I don't know. Maybe it should be 45 or 60, but as long as the freelancers can manually turn this off next time they log into their account, it's fine.

Indeed, I've noticed so many abandoned accounts that show up in search that it's embarrassing.

It's a good move.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
42 of 639

@Rene K wrote:

I'm OK with this decision. Maybe, 30 days is too short, I don't know. Maybe it should be 45 or 60, but as long as the freelancers can manually turn this off next time they log into their account, it's fine.

Indeed, I've noticed so many abandoned accounts that show up in search that it's embarrassing.

It's a good move.

René it's a good move for freelancers who have really not been active for some months/years. As far as I am concerned it is not a good move. In fact, the only good move for me, is to move off, move on, and move away. Upwork has nothing but grief to offer me at the moment. 

Community Guru
43 of 639

Nichola, this won't have any impact on you nor on any of us. If you don't earn a single buck for a month, your profile will be marked as private, and you will have to click on a button, the next time you log in tu make it public again.

You will have to do this once. And that's it. End of story.

On the other hand, clients searching freelancers won't see abandoned accounts anymore. This is a win-win situation.

I understand that the recent events in the Coffee Break negatively impactef the morale of many. But let not allow this blur our judgment.

Of course, I totally respect it if people have a different opinion than mine.

-----------
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
44 of 639

@Rene K wrote:

Nichola, this won't have any impact on you nor on any of us. If you don't earn a single buck for a month, your profile will be marked as private, and you will have to click on a button, the next time you log in tu make it public again.

You will have to do this once. And that's it. End of story.

On the other hand, clients searching freelancers won't see abandoned accounts anymore. This is a win-win situation.

I understand that the recent events in the Coffee Break negatively impactef the morale of many. But let not allow this blur our judgment.

Of course, I totally respect it if people have a different opinion than mine.

Yes, but what is to stop a freelancer who has not been active for some years to  do the same thing? Click on their profile and still do nothing?  Plus ça change . . .

Community Guru
45 of 639

@Nichola L wrote:

Yes, but what is to stop a freelancer who has not been active for some years to  do the same thing? Click on their profile and still do nothing?  Plus ça change . . .

They may. They may log in every month into Upwork to click on a button and then leave. The person who does this, would probably be someone who is really, really bored.

-----------
Jeremy C Member Since: Sep 14, 2017
46 of 639

Rene, I'm glad that you don't have the same problem as those of us who got locked, but you should know that it's not 

just a matter of 

"click on a button, the next time you log in tu make it public again.

You will have to do this once. And that's it. End of story."

There's no button, only a link to the help center, followed by a 5 step, multiple-choice process that only adresses the issue directly via a pop-up that only appears once you send a query; you need to bypass the pop-up in order to send a direct query, which will then result in an automated email reply informing you you'll be back in public view within 72 hours.

This process was not in any way designed to make it easy f, vs the SIGN UP FOR FREELANCE PRO button in the ransom mailer that we're all objecting to. 

Upwork will discover that we chose it because it worked, and we'll choose something else when it stops working for us. 

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
47 of 639

"Inactivity" should take into account whether freelancers are applying to jobs as well as if they are earning within 30 days. And 30 days is WAY too short.

The job listings have been seriously lacking for the last year or so. Why are you trying to weed out more freelancers instead of all of the cheap-o and fraudulent CLIENTS? There are hundreds of those clearly visible in any basic search, and yet we still have no easy way of reporting them to immediate effect.

Once again you take it out on the freelancers.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
48 of 639

The deluge of awful jobs is somewhat seasonal; those of us who have been around FLing for years know and expect that.  The fact the U seems to be suffering from more than normal might be traced back to their marketing approach - or the economy - or competitors - or too many incompetants sending inane RFPs.

The attempt to limit dead weight is positive and good.  That said, IMO, the 30 day time frame is simply too small. There aren't enough good RFPs to justify it.  Plus I rather doubt it is based on more than a whim.  

Questions such as:

How many of the jobs posted per month are actually awarded?

What is the value of the awarded jobs? (Average /Mean - whatever works best for financial accuracy)

Once these 2 unknowns can be analyzed - the results might serve as a better guideline for 30/60/90 days.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
49 of 639

Surely a combination of "earned money" plus "active on the platform" would be better?

Something like:

* No money earned AND no activity on the platform for 30 days (50 days for new freelancers), OR

* No money earned for 90 days

Or something like that?

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
50 of 639

@ Jennifer D -

That makes a lot of sense - esp. because many jobs (regardless if hourly / fixes / milestones) take a considerable amount of time.  It is only the one-off quick jobs that don't ... and 20% of $50 is a darn site lower that 20%/10% of $1500.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS