cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing Active Earners in Search Results

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
51 of 639

This sounds like a great idea. I don't see any downside to this for typical freelancers.

This is intended to make things easier for clients, to remove essentially unusable results.

This is about inactive versus active users. This is not about Plus Membership freelancers and non-Plus members such as myself.

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
52 of 639

Supposedly my Post was a success; however, it did not post.  I rechecked a few times, and it still didn’t post.  Hmmmm…  If there ends up being 2 of these, I apologize but decided it was important enough to post so am doing again.  (I’d originally written it out prior to posting and tore it up into pieces after the site stated the post was successful.  Thank you, Upwork.  If both do end up posting and there’s differences between the 2, it’s due to the puzzle formation of the torn up pieces.  Again, thank you Upwork.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I disagree with this.  I’m very selective and have become even more so since I’ve went from being Top Rated to a JSS of 82%.

It’s been 3 months since my most recent Upwork project.  (Upwork is not my only source of income.)  During this time I’ve applied for 18 opportunities; including accepted Invitations.  I’ve declined in excess of 70 Invitations to Interview. 

Of the 18:

1-is an Active Candidacy

1-is a current Submitted Proposal

1-Withdrew Proposal as Client attempted to negotiate agreed-upon terms (Rate, Bonus, AND hours)  

1-Withdrew Proposal as couldn’t agree on payment terms

11-Withdrew Proposals due to unresponsive Clients

3-Jobs Closed; of these:

1-Couldn’t agree on payment terms; Client did not contract with anyone.

1-Client went MIA and briefly contracted with someone else.

1-Client contracted with others.

Evidently the aforementioned plus the facts that:

1. I’ve been an oDesk/Upwork Freelancer for over 3 years.
  2. I’ve worked 7 Projects.
  3. My hours worked have been 1,844.
  4. My earnings have been in excess of $30K

Means that I’m INACTIVE??????????  

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
53 of 639

@Pat M wrote:

Means you should read Lena's post one more time.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
54 of 639

Rene's post:

@Pat M wrote:

Means you should read Lena's post one more time.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I did Rene.  Inactive = haven't earned money on Upwork for 30 days (which I haven't).  I currently have my Profile Visibility set to only show my Profile to Upwork users logged in vs. Public or Private and of course continue to receive Invitations to Interview.

Kemosabe, please enlighted me as to what I'm evidently not understanding.  Thanks!  Smiley Wink

Hopefully all of this will at least be a mute point for me personally as I'm to begin a new Upwork project next week.  Smiley Happy  However, I still feel for those that may be adversely affected; including myself in the future.  

Community Guru
55 of 639

@Pat M wrote:

Kemosabe, please enlighted me as to what I'm evidently not understanding.  Thanks!  Smiley Wink

If Upwork switch you to private for having not earn a single $ in the last 30 days, the next time you log in, it will ask you if you want to become visible again or if you want to remain invisible.

Honestly, that's not much trouble.

-----------
Community Guru
56 of 639

Rene posted:

@Pat M wrote:

If Upwork switch you to private for having not earn a single $ in the last 30 days, the next time you log in, it will ask you if you want to become visible again or if you want to remain invisible.

Honestly, that's not much trouble.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Of course I understand that, Rene, and understood that the first time I read Lena's post.  My major challenge is regarding the definition of "inactive."  Also, eventhough it may not be much trouble to respond to the question at log in, I'm wondering why we should have to.  Wine cooler here I come!  Smiley Very Happy   

Jason F Member Since: Jul 9, 2017
57 of 639

It actually isnt that simple, you have to log a support case to get the profile switched. Having to do this ever time is actually a pain in the ass. I logged a support case to get it switch waited 5 hours with no response so I just decided to upgrade my account to a paid account. Now I dont have to worry about it.

If you could just login and switch the profile back with out having to contact support then it wouldnt actually be an issue as the active members that do get caught in the system can just fix the problem on their own.

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
58 of 639

@jason F wrote:

It actually isnt that simple, you have to log a support case to get the profile switched. Having to do this ever time is actually a pain in the ass. I logged a support case to get it switch waited 5 hours with no response so I just decided to upgrade my account to a paid account. Now I dont have to worry about it.

If you could just login and switch the profile back with out having to contact support then it wouldnt actually be an issue as the active members that do get caught in the system can just fix the problem on their own.

And this is what freelancers were led to believe would be the "option" available to us.

Forgive me for the length of this post, but I am SO DONE with the double-speak we've been getting from Upwork representatives on this and many other issues. A lie of ommission is still a LIE.

Hi Nichola,

Our goal is not to target the great freelancers who use our marketplace. And we understand there are users who are not able to consistently earn because of various reasons. As said in the announcement, if your profile is set to private, you will be able to quickly change it back to public. When logging into your account, you’ll see a pop-up notification with the options available to you. Although signing up for a Freelance Plus membership is the best way to keep your profile from changing to private if you're not consistently earning, there are also free options that will change your visibility back to public in search. 

~~

Nichola, this won't have any impact on you nor on any of us. If you don't earn a single buck for a month, your profile will be marked as private, and you will have to click on a button, the next time you log in tu make it public again.

You will have to do this once. And that's it. End of story.

~~

Hi Maxim,

Note that freelancers can set their profile back to public even without upgrading their membership. We don't have plans to update the membership fee for the Plus plan. Please review the information Lena posted in the opening post in order to avoid any confusion about this initiative.

~~

Note that no one has mentioned having to contact Customer Service - Vlad's post says explicitly that FREELANCERS CAN SET THEIR PROFILE BACK TO PUBLIC. But, a little while later, he goes back to the carefully-couched "you'll have options" language:

~~

Hi Alexandr,

This initiative applies to both agency and individual freelancers. If you are a freelancer who only works as part of an agency (meaning you do not have an individual Upwork account), you are not eligible for our Freelance Plus paid membership. If your profile has been set to private, please log into your Upwork account and you’ll see a pop-up notification with ways to have it reset to public so that it appears in search results. You can also see your options by clicking on the “Find Work” tab and then on you status under “Visibility” (which is beneath the “My Profile” overview on the right side of the page).

~~

Rene K brings up the "button" again:

I don't mind clicking on a button every now and then, it's not a big deal for me and if this helps clients, I'm all for it.

~~

And in the VERY NEXT POST, chronologically, Moderator Avery O does NOT CORRECT HIM:

Hi Max, 

Please see below my answer to your questions: 

1. As stated by Lena on her opening post, Freelancer profiles will automatically change to “private” if they haven’t earned money on Upwork for 30 days (50 days for new freelancers). I checked your account and can see that both you haven't earned yet from both your hourly and fixed-price contract. 

2. We want to improve client search results. Right now, when a client searches for freelancers with a certain skill the results can include freelancers who joined Upwork but have become inactive and unresponsive to job invitations. Having to sort through these freelancers and not getting replies can make clients less likely to use Upwork to find freelancers going forward.
  3. As Lena has mentioned, this is a feature that will fine-tune the freelancer search. Please check the very first page of this thread, and Vladimir's reply to you so that you can review the feature announcement.

~~

Now other users in this thread also assume that we'll have a button or a link to click, because Moderators do not correct them or mention anything about having to contact Customer Service:

If a freelancer like the ones you mentioned won't take the time to click a link to login and confirm they're still "active" when they're notified their profile will be hidden, it seems unlikely they would respond to any invite you might send them.

~~

So perhaps the moderators can understand how we freelancers feel misled, and, really, LIED TO, when we find out that setting a profile page back to "public" requires contacting Customer Service? And maybe something can be done to make this process easier and more friendly to freelancers, especially because there have been NUMEROUS reports that the support site is having issues and it is very difficult to get through? And that maybe Upwork staff could remember that it is freelancers who actually pay the $%&* bills around here and stop jerking us around?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
59 of 639

Hi Jess,

As part of testing this new initiative, we are trying out several different ways for freelancers to switch their profile back to public so that it once again appears in search results. In addition to closely monitoring this program to make sure it achieves our goals of rewarding freelancers who regularly earn, protecting users from off-platform payments, and helping clients connect faster with active freelancers, we will also be looking at these options to see what works best.  

Community Guru
60 of 639

Like many I thought there will be a button to push. Now if one has to go through CS to reactivate one's account, I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the method...

-----------
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS