cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing Active Earners in Search Results

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
641 of 647

Hi Shavi,

Freelancers profile will be changed to private if they haven`t earned for the past 30 days. Bonuses are reflected as earnings. For more details about this feature check out this Help Article. Thank you.

-Joanne
Untitled
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
642 of 647

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Hi Shavi,

Freelancers profile will be changed to private if they haven`t earned for the past 30 days. Bonuses are reflected as earnings. For more details about this feature check out this Help Article. Thank you.

And, on the other hand, accounts that have no earnings and no jobs and no activity at all, created years ago (and thus maybe abandoned), still show up, making you waste your free invites.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Ace Contributor
Nick M Member Since: Jul 12, 2011
643 of 647

If I'm working on a contract that takes a while to complete (i.e. longer than 30 days) and the payment terms are that I will be paid upon completion, am I just meant to accept the fact that my profile is set to Private despite the fact I'm still actively working on a contract on Upwork, that will ultimately result in me being paid the remainder of the contract?

I find it hard to believe that's fair. This is the exact circumstance I'm in right now. I've been working on the same contract for the entirety of since it started until now (over 30 years) and my profile status has been set to private, despite the fact I'm still technically earning and working on this contract - I just won't receive the funds until the end of the contract.

It blows my mind that this is deemed as being okay. 

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
644 of 647

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your feedback about our feature. Unfortunately at the moment, the feature is set to change a freelancer profile to private if they haven't earned for 30 days. 

Freelancers have several options to reset their visibility back to public: 

1. Earn funds on a contract
  2. Ask us (Moderators or our Customer Support) to change their visibility back to public
  3. Upgrade to our Plus Membership plan

Just to confirm, your profile visibility was updated back to public and you will be shown in search results again. Thank you.

Untitled
Community Leader
Gary Val T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
645 of 647

Hi Nick,

It's an annoying feature that I suspect was programmed into the system a long time ago to happen automatically when the system perceives that the freelancer hasn't "earned" for 30 days. The system wasn't programmed to recognize the nuances of situations such as when a freelancer's account "appears" to be stagnant for 30 days when, in fact, the freelancer is working on a lengthy project and is in fact "earning" money by virtue of the fact that he/she is working on a project.

There are other annoying features programmed into UpWork's system but UpWork does nothing to fix them. For example, the problem with multiple work samples submitted with proposals. Many of us attach the most relevant samples in a descending order. That is, the most relevant samples first, followed by the less relevant (but nonetheless important) samples. But when the proposal is actually sent to the client, the samples get scrambled into some bizarre random order. This has been the case for years but UpWork never addresses the problem. I suspect UpWork doesn't have programmers on their staff who actually know how to fix these things. Maybe they have no programmers at all. Sometimes I wonder if there are any "real" people at the helm at all, other than the "moderators" who just basically have what seems like a list of scripted replies and "answers" to our questions but don't actually have any programming knowledge, much less the ability or authority to access the internal programming that runs the system. On the other hand, UpWork was able to find someone to program the new "paid connects" feature into the system. Maybe they only hire programmers when they want to tweak the system in a way that will generate more income for UpWork but have no interest in fixing things that annoy us lowly cry-bably Smiley Frustrated freelancers. LOL! I dunno. Just my 2 cents (which is about all I have left after UpWork bleeds me of 20% of my earnings). The rich get richer... yada, yada, yada... 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
646 of 647

Hi Gary, 

I'm sorry to learn your sentiment about this program. I would like to clarify that, if a freelancer isn't earning regularly on our platform, or hasn't earned in the past 30-days, your profile may be set to private, even if you have a contract, submit proposals, and/or interview frequently. There are different ways of setting your profile to public again, one of which is contacting us directly so that we can set your profile visibility to public.

I will also share your concern about the arrangement of attached work samples on proposals so that the team can consider it for future releases. 

-Avery
Untitled
Community Leader
Gary Val T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
647 of 647

Hi Avery,

Right, we know it can be switched back to public again. But why not avoid that unnecessary hassle by simply programming the system to switch ONLY those freelancers who have been INACTIVE,  as in not engaged in ANY activity. Because what's the point of setting the profile to private if we can simply have a moderator switch it back to public again when we are, in fact, actively engaged in working on a project that exceeds 30 days?

And thanks for sharing the concern over the arrangement of attached work samples on proposals. But it's probably a futile effort because it's been brought up time and time again to no avail. Who ever has the authority and skill to actually fix that problem apparently has no interest in doing so. If they did, it would have been fixed by now. Or maybe they just don't know how. That's kinda hard to believe but, hey, the world is full of strange phenomena and unexplained mysteries. Smiley LOL

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS