Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing Active Earners in Search Results

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
71 of 639

@Alan H wrote:

At this point, as a freelancer hiring manager and a client, I will lose access to 75% of the talent on Upwork on June 30. 

Nope. You're only losing the fraction of this percentage that corresponds to people who have not actually abandoned their accounts.

And I believe that out of all the active accounts, there are enough great talents to cater for all Upwork clients. Yes, there are hidden gems who will disappear, but I guess this is more anecdotal than anything else.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
72 of 639

@Alan H wrote:

Here's how this helps Upwork: it reduces the expense of supporting 2.4 MM profiles that have never generated any revenue for Upwork.

Here's how it breaks my heart as an Upwork hiring manager, not as a freelancer:

There are thousands of legitimate inactive profiles who just don't push to get work here, but who would be amazing to hire. People who have never earned here are often my top picks for design jobs. They paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to earn their degrees from leading US art schools, would love to earn a few extra bucks, but are too busy with their full time jobs in ad agencies to be actively seeking part time work. I search for them by exact matches for the universities they attended, and 90% of my search results show 0 earnings. Response rates are a little lower with this segment, but that's not an obstacle. One of the websites I am most proud of features a slider designed by a SCAD graduate with zero prior earnings on Upwork. She went on to earn about $1,000 from my client designing new print assets.

Just yesterday I created my Upwork client company in order to resolve a special accounting problem I had. The freelancer I found, and hired, had never worked on Upwork because she has a full time job. She was a little unsure of how to use the platform, but I hired her and taught her how to download the team app and get started tracking time for me. Tomorrow, she and I have our second call scheduled. On our first call, I told her, "by the way, Upwork is great. It can change your life." 

This policy change will surely diminish the value of the platform to clients. Whoever thought it up did not fully consider the scenarios I described above.  82.52% of freelancers profiles show zero earnings. I guess maybe a few percent of those to be "forced private" might upgrade their memberships. Upwork gets about 2,200 new profiles per day, so we can maybe add back 100,000 for freelancers in the 50 day grace period.  At this point, as a freelancer hiring manager and a client, I will lose access to 75% of the talent on Upwork on June 30. 

If a freelancer like the ones you mentioned won't take the time to click a link to login and confirm they're still "active" when they're notified their profile will be hidden, it seems unlikely they would respond to any invite you might send them.

Fernando A Member Since: Oct 6, 2009
73 of 639

@Alan H wrote:

Here's how this helps Upwork: it reduces the expense of supporting 2.4 MM profiles that have never generated any revenue for Upwork.

Up until a few months ago, I was generating revenues for Upwork. So why is my profile one of the several marked as 'private'? My profile is most certainly not one of those that 'never generated any evenue'.

Perhaps your system needs some tweaking to exclude freelancer accounts that actually earned revenue for your company, and are top-rated to boot.

Community Guru
Vince D Member Since: Feb 18, 2016
74 of 639

I too take exception to this (at least the 30 days). I work in a niche market. Most of the time they are jobs that are finished in a week. Generally not long term. Sometimes I don't see any new projects posted for three or four months. So by this new rule I'm inactive on Upwork even though there is Nothing to send a proposal to.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai
Maxim P Member Since: Apr 22, 2015
75 of 639

Now people who is already working here and no looking for a job ( they working already, you get it right ), will recive more proposal which they cannot take, because they ( and one more time ) actualy working. And people who actualy looking for a job, will be removed from the search.  Until they pay of course. Will you increase a price for a membership?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
76 of 639

Hi Maxim,

Note that freelancers can set their profile back to public even without upgrading their membership. We don't have plans to update the membership fee for the Plus plan. Please review the information Lena posted in the opening post in order to avoid any confusion about this initiative.

Arpad L Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
77 of 639

While I welcome any changes that could potentially mean more and better jobs, I do not really understand the point of that "optional" change. If anybody could easily just switch back, what is the point? It should be outside of the control of the freelancer, but should be easy to break out of the inactivity eg by applying to jobs.

And the definition of inactive should be "who has not logged in to upwork for 30 or more days" not who could not get a job.

I think the main thing should be that if a freelancer was not active for 30 days, he/she should be listed either after the active users or not at all by default, by changing how the search works: add an option to show only active freelancers and make that option on by default. Then if a client wants to look around in the inactive users, he could do that.

Oh and the search already has an option filter freelancers by earnings... so if a client does not want to list freelancers who has not earned anything yet, he can do that. No need to force that, but users who does not use the site at all should not be listed above active users, that is for sure.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
78 of 639

My personal opinion is that this is a storm in a teacup. If you are active without earning, it takes but a click of a button to show activity once more....I really do not see what the big deal is about. 

Community Leader
Alan H Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
79 of 639

Hi all. I am a six year veteran freelancer who just created his Upwork client company yesterday in order to resolve a special accounting problem I had. The freelancer I found, and hired, had never worked on Upwork because she has a full time job. She was a little unsure of how to use the platform, but I hired her and taught her how to download the team app and get started tracking time for me. Tomorrow, she and I have our second call scheduled. On our first call, I told her, "by the way, Upwork is great. It can change your life." 

Coincidentally, Upwork emailed me today as a freelancer cheering the "good news" that as an active freelancer, I am soon to be rewarded. On June 30, Upwork will make all inactive freelancer profiles invisible, if they have not earned in 30 days or paid to upgrade their memberships. There is an out: to ask for special one-time relief. There is a 50 day grace period. 

I would never have found my first Upwork hire under this new policy, and I needed a very specific skill set.

This policy change will surely diminish the value of the platform to clients. Whoever thought it up did not fully consider the scenario I described above.  82.52% of freelancers profiles show zero earnings. Almost all of these - over 2 MM of the almost 3 MM total freelancer profiles - will be set to "private" on June 30.  I guess maybe a few percent of those to be "forced private" might upgrade their memberships. At this point, as a freelancer hiring manager and a client, I will lose access to 75% of the talent on Upwork on June 30. 

There are thousands of legitimate inactive profiles who just don't push to get work here, but who would be amazing to hire. People who have never earned here are often my top picks for design jobs. They paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to earn their degrees from leading US art schools, would love to earn a few extra bucks, but are too busy with their full time jobs in ad agencies to be actively seeking part time work. I search for them by exact matches for the universities they attended, and 90% of my search results show 0 earnings. Response rates are a little lower with this segment, but that's not an obstacle. One of the websites I am most proud of features a slider designed by a SCAD graduate with zero prior earnings on Upwork. She went on to earn about $1,000 from my client designing new print assets.

As clients, I wonder if we have any influence to reverse this proposed change - other than to go on a pre-emptive hiring spree this month. 

Ace Contributor
Jacob D Member Since: Mar 18, 2016
80 of 639
I read everything you wrote, including your question... and just want to say: No, there's nothing you can do. Here's why: Once Upwork gets its "head" around an idea--no matter how bad it is, or how much it will hurt their customers and bottom-line profits--Upwork will go ahead with the idea. THOUSANDS of people swarmed in a backlash against Upwork chopping a 20% chunk from freelancers' income and taxing clients like 3.75%... just for the "privilege" of using this platform. Nothing's changed. Upwork really doesn't care about their customers - even though their livelihood depends on us customers (I mean clients and freelancers) using their platform in the first place.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS