cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing Active Earners in Search Results

Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
81 of 639

While I'm still on the fence about the new policy, mostly because I'm not sure how reliable the algorithm will be considering context, it's not as dire as you've described it. Freelancers will have the option to return in the search results by setting their profile back to public (as confirmed by a mod here). Worst case scenario for people who want to be searchable but don't actively search for projects would be that they'll have to log in once a month and adjust their settings. I have sites where I have a lot less at stake that require the same.

From a full-time freelancer pov, it's really frustrating when people who have last been active in 2015 are consistently displayed in front of you in search results.

Ace Contributor
Ken J Member Since: Nov 29, 2014
82 of 639

Unfortunately, since the freelance status will be checked EVERY DAY (per the email) then you would have to log in almost every day to make sure you were still public. Too BAD their rolling algorythm for jon success rating does not happen as often!

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
83 of 639

@Ken J wrote:

Unfortunately, since the freelance status will be checked EVERY DAY (per the email) then you would have to log in almost every day to make sure you were still public. 

I didn't have the benefit of receiving this email, so I can only go by Lena's announcement in another thread, where she DID NOT say it would require changing status from private to public daily, rather than every 30 days. Perhaps you can copy/paste the part of your email that says so, or perhaps Lena or another moderator can confirm or deny this.

ETA: I finally received an email about this about 30 minutes ago, with a link to an article, rather than Lena's post, and it states,

3. Request your visibility be resumed (for free). If your account is affected, a special contact link will be available on your Find Work home page in the visibility section. If your profile is set to private again in the future due to no earnings, you'll need to contact us again.

That still doesn't specify when a profile will be set to private after having it made visible by request. Here's the full article: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003975967

84 of 639

My complaint as a client and a freelancer hiring manager: I really need to see those long-tail profiles. If a freelancer has an obscure talent set that makes her less frequently used, the clients who will occasionally need her should not be stuck with only the "top sellers."

Would Amazon be a better bookstore if it closed out every SKU that did not sell in the past 30 days? 

Case in point: RISD grads. If someone has invested $250,000 in his MFA from one of the most prestigious art schools in the country, I want to see his profile, even if he happens to be too busy working on Fortune 100 client projects to chase Upwork. I'm going to be chasing him, because he's a rare bird.  I don't want to be stuck with the thousands of self-taught Photoshopper "best sellers" who lack this guy's prestigious formal art education but manage to grind out a few $5 logos every month. Yes, I know I'm being crass and glossing over the details. Forgive me. I'm ranting because I literally would never have found the great freelancer I hired today - or the amazing SCAD grad who did my client's slider - with this policy in effect.

This is the long-tail/short-tail effect. Having 2.9 MM visible profiles makes Upwork a stronger resource. Chopping off the tail saves costs in the short run, but undermines the platform in the long run.

Yes, there is an out, but Upwork is not promising anything to anyone in that respect - and this is a trivial detail in light of the crippling impact the policy will surely have on the choice of available talent. The email and supporting articles were not hastily put together, and they collectively say that a dormant profile can be reactivated ONE TIME with a link, and if it happens again, the freelancer will need to contact Upwork for a reset.

How does this help the client???

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
85 of 639

@Ken J wrote:

Unfortunately, since the freelance status will be checked EVERY DAY (per the email) then you would have to log in almost every day ...

Can you actually read?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
86 of 639

Hi Ken,

If we set your profile to private for not earning in 30 days, you will receive an email notifying you of your visibility change. You wont have to login everyday to check your profiles status, you will be notified.

Untitled
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
87 of 639

WIn-Win seems to be a foreign concept to UpWork.

Joke was almost on me.

I had proposed to someone they might want to consider UpWork's "payroll" service.

I would have bashed my head in now if the other party had taken up my proposal; considering UpWork's lack of a moral compass.

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
88 of 639

Irene B. posted:

My personal opinion is that this is a storm in a teacup. If you are active without earning, it takes but a click of a button to show activity once more....I really do not see what the big deal is about. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Personally my major challenge is the definition of inactive.  

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
89 of 639

@Irene B wrote:

My personal opinion is that this is a storm in a teacup. If you are active without earning, it takes but a click of a button to show activity once more....I really do not see what the big deal is about. 

Yes, but that requires reading the announcement post and understanding what you read. Something that not many can to.

English is so hard.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
90 of 639

Rene K. posted:

@Irene B wrote:

Yes, but that requires reading the announcement post and understanding what you read. Something that not many can to.

English is so hard.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Rene, be good now.  I know...  I know...  with you it's "When I'm good I'm good, but when I'm bad I'm better." 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS