Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Site Downtime Feb 27th at 8am PST

lenaellis
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 38

We'll be performing system upgrades on Saturday, February 27th from approximately 16:00 to 24:00 UTC (8:00 am to 4:00 pm PST). For real-time updates during the downtime visit our status page here.

If you need to reach Upwork support during the downtime, we are available to assist you in our social channels:

or email support@upwork.com

We occasionally schedule site maintenance to upgrade our systems in order to improve site speed and stability. When this happens, downtime occurs where different areas and services across our apps and website will be limited. Because of this, we do our best to schedule maintenance outside peak usage hours when it’s least disruptive for you and your business.

Here’s how to prepare for upcoming downtimes:

(Hourly Contract) Log into your Upwork Desktop App (Time Tracker) before the downtime

You must be logged into the Upwork Desktop app  before the site downtime if you intend to do hourly-contract work during the maintenance period. Otherwise, you will receive an error when logging in while the site is down. Remaining signed into the Upwork Desktop App will allow you to continue logging hours with the Time Tracker even during downtime. The tracker works offline by caching or storing logged time on your computer for up to 12 hours. It then automatically uploads it to your Work Diary once Upwork is back online, and our services are fully functional again. 

You will always be able to do work for fixed-price contracts, during downtime. However, downtime may affect your ability to submit work or access messages. 

Communicate and plan ahead

Suppose you become aware of upcoming site maintenance that may impact essential deadlines or communication with a client. In that case, you may want to bring it up with your client to make them aware and plan together. 

You can also set a reminder to log into the Upwork Desktop App before downtime begins. Alternatively, you could speak with your client about enabling manual time on your hourly-contract. Once enabled, you will be able to work through downtime by adding manual time to your hourly-contract.

Keep an eye out for communication from us

Before and during scheduled site maintenance, there will be an alert message on the Help center and on our Community forums indicating the downtime period (UTC timezone). 

You can always be informed by subscribing to our direct notifications on the Status page: status.upwork.com. The Status page has real-time updates on the functionality of our different services. You can visit this page whenever you want to confirm the status of any Upwork service. That is how we will notify you. 

We encourage you to evaluate how any highlighted maintenance may impact your work, considering the time it is scheduled for.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I Iog time during the downtime?

There are two ways you can capture your time worked during downtime:

1. You can log time with the desktop app if you were able to sign in before the downtime started at 16:00 UTC. Be sure to remain logged in until after the downtime is over. You don’t have to keep tracking time, just keep our desktop app open.

2. If downtime has started, you can ask your client to enable manual time for you.

I missed signing into the Upwork desktop app in time, what do I do?
If you haven’t already, please reach out to your client to let them know and see if they would like to enable manual time for you.

My freelancer reached out to tell me they didn’t log in to track their time before the site downtime. What should we do?
You may wish to discuss allowing them to add manual hours during the downtime so work on your project can continue. To learn more about manual time, click here

As a freelancer, what should I expect during this downtime?
During this time, you won’t be able to log into Upwork.com, Upwork’s mobile apps, or access other areas on Upwork. If you want to log time via Time Tracker during the site downtime, please make sure you are logged into the app before 16:00 UTC and remain logged in until after the system upgrades are complete.  You don’t have to keep tracking time, just keep our desktop app open.

As a client, what should I expect during this downtime?

During this time, you won’t be able to log into Upwork.com, Upwork’s mobile apps, or access other areas of Upwork. If you have an hourly contract with a freelancer and you have asked that they track their time with our desktop app, they will not be able to do so unless they logged in prior to the site downtime. As a result, they may reach out to you to discuss adding manual time.

How do I contact my client or freelancer if the site is down and I can’t use Upwork Messages?

If you have a way to contact your existing client(s) outside of Upwork, you can provide any needed project updates that way. We have also notified those with active contracts –– clients, agencies and freelancers –– about this site downtime. 

Will I see new features and visible changes on Upwork.com after this downtime?
This downtime is to improve our site speed and stability. While you won’t notice any immediate changes after, the update will allow us to continue to enhance and improve our site in the future.

Untitled
shubhankar56
Shubhankar S Member Since: Sep 27, 2019
2 of 38

Thanks for   upgrad 

8c4bdfa9
Gilchrist C Member Since: Feb 23, 2021
3 of 38
Thank you for upgrade
dhaka7
Abir H Member Since: Feb 17, 2021
4 of 38

Thank you for let us updated.

17f53c2b
Genta C Member Since: Sep 3, 2020
5 of 38

thank you !!

sairamalik21496
Saira B Member Since: Jan 28, 2021
6 of 38

Thank you for advance announcement for this update to let us know.

supriya_biswas
Supriya B Member Since: Jun 17, 2019
7 of 38

Thank for upgrade

anzeelaashraf
Anzeela A Member Since: Feb 23, 2021
8 of 38
What compels me to smile about the 'planned maintenance' is that you receive the message onetime the site is down...tells me there was nothing planned around it.

I say extremely, this is the year 2021, no online businesses have to disconnect themselves and from the Internet is to protect their IT anymore.

vladag
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 38

Hi Anzeela,

Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, we've added a notification regarding the upcoming February 27. system upgrade on the Community home page, on our status page, Help Center, a notification banner you can see on all pages on your account and posted this announcement in the Community forums.

anzeelaashraf
Anzeela A Member Since: Feb 23, 2021
10 of 38
Thank you for letting us know that.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS