cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specialized Profiles Soon Available in All Categories

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 207

Specialized profiles are now being expanded to all categories. Starting today, freelancers from all categories will gradually begin to see the option to create a specialized profile. As we roll this out to all freelancers over the next couple of weeks, freelancers will see a pop-up when they login that will notify them of this feature and of how to complete their specialized profile.

As you may recall in our announcement last year, specialized profiles give freelancers the ability to market and highlight their expertise in specific skill sets through separate profiles for each skill. For example, a freelancer may work as a graphic designer and also a web developer, but it can be complicated to make one profile highlight completely different skills. With specialized profiles, freelancers can create tailored profiles with specific overviews, relevant work histories, and portfolio items to showcase their experience. They can also market themselves at a rate applicable for that specific skill. The specialized profiles appear as tabs on the general profile page.

Graphic_Design_Specialized_Profile.png

For more information on specialized profiles, check out this video with Zak, a product manager at Upwork.

*Update 11/25: 

We’ve recently added a couple of new settings to Specialized profiles. You’ll be able to access them under Settings> Profile Settings or simply by clicking Manage Specialized Profiles link on your Find Work> Profile page. 

Change Order of Specialized profiles:

You’ll be able to change the order in which Specialized profiles show on your profile by clicking on the icon in the right upper corner of the Specialized profiles box. 

Change Specialty:

You’ll also see a Switch Specialty option for each Specialized profile. That will allow you to change the Specialty of a Specialized profile.

Please, see the screenshot below for more information:

Screenshot_4.png

Untitled
Maksym S Member Since: Jun 13, 2016
2 of 207

this is awesome, hope this will help to improve the relevance of search results for the clients as now it not the ideal

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
3 of 207

When will we have the option to turn the pop up OFF if we have no use for this "feature?" I have asked multiple times and have been ignored for months. It's getting old.

Ace Contributor
Nicholas K Member Since: May 11, 2016
4 of 207

Jess C wrote:

When will we have the option to turn the pop up OFF if we have no use for this "feature?" I have asked multiple times and have been ignored for months. It's getting old.

I am also not interested in this new feature, at least for the time being and I can not understand why the popup cannot be turned off or at least minimised. However, it looks like we have to get used to this new "Profile" page with the "advertisement" on the top since for some reason Upwork wants us to not forget about this new "option" ! 

Ace Contributor
Wilson E Member Since: Aug 7, 2015
5 of 207

Hi there! 

There should be a way to manually select the profile we wish to use when summiting a proposal because as you can see here, the system is not working properly. I have a specialized profile for exhibit booth design, but when summiting a proposal Upwork decides to use my Graphic Design profile, clearly not the best fit. Why not allow us to use the profile we wish instead? 

PS: Please do something with your customer support team, last two times I tried to use, they were useless. 

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
6 of 207

Hi WIlson,

Thank you for your feedback, I will share this with our product managers.

Untitled
Simon M Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
7 of 207
For anyone asking how to dismiss the notification, just create one specialized profile using your main profile as the base. It only takes minutes... And voila, you never have to deal with the notification ever again!
Ace Contributor
Badr E Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
8 of 207

Tried it, and for a 1 full month i got only few hires. but when i removed the specialized profiles, i now got back to my normal hires and clients are responsding to my proposals. So it's not working for me. Please don't make it a must for all freelancers to have specialized profiles.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 207

Hi Badr, 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this program, and I'm sorry to know that the Specialized Profiles didn't work out for you. Please know that this is an optional addition to your present profile, and is not compulsory. If you feel that the general profile works best for you, you may continue using that.

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
10 of 207

Avery O wrote:

Hi Badr, 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this program, and I'm sorry to know that the Specialized Profiles didn't work out for you. Please know that this is an optional addition to your present profile, and is not compulsory. If you feel that the general profile works best for you, you may continue using that.

So if we don't want to use it, HOW DO WE TURN OFF THE POP-UP ON OUR PROFILE?