Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specialized Profiles Soon Available in All Categories

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Zoe A Member Since: Dec 16, 2018
341 of 360

Hello all!

I'm curious to know if/how other freelancers find/use specialized profiles.

Here are some questions I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on:

• What is your general opinion on specialized profiles?
  • Do you use them?
  • Do you think having specialized profiles is particularly beneficial?
  • Do you think specialized profiles help Upwork algorithms determine what you do and therefore send you requests for work

The reason I ask is because I don't really rate them, but then what I do is SEO/content writing/content strategy - all of which are very closely related - the same thing really, but there are some differences if I wanted to separate them.

I have a rather neglected specialized profile for content writing and interestingly jobs I get invited to are always content writing. My biggest frustration with them is that I forget to use them all the time, so my content writing profile, which could be elaborated on and enhanced only has $500 of work associated with it, which could be off putting to clients. My general profile has $6k now.

Welcome your thoughts on all or any of the above...or any comments on specialized profiles.

Look forward to your thoughts!

Zoe

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
342 of 360

Zoe A wrote:

Hello all!

I'm curious to know if/how other freelancers find/use specialized profiles.

Here are some questions I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on:

• What is your general opinion on specialized profiles?
  • Do you use them?
  • Do you think having specialized profiles is particularly beneficial?
  • Do you think specialized profiles help Upwork algorithms determine what you do and therefore send you requests for work

The reason I ask is because I don't really rate them, but then what I do is SEO/content writing/content strategy - all of which are very closely related - the same thing really, but there are some differences if I wanted to separate them.

I have a rather neglected specialized profile for content writing and interestingly jobs I get invited to are always content writing. My biggest frustration with them is that I forget to use them all the time, so my content writing profile, which could be elaborated on and enhanced only has $500 of work associated with it, which could be off putting to clients. My general profile has $6k now.

Welcome your thoughts on all or any of the above...or any comments on specialized profiles.

Look forward to your thoughts!

Zoe

1. Don't like them.

2. Yes but not voluntarily. Wanted to add a portfolio piece, couldn't do it without creating a specialized profile. I still don't understand why those 2 things should be connected. 

3. No.

4. No upwork algorithm ever sent me work. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Zoe A Member Since: Dec 16, 2018
343 of 360

4. No upwork algorithm ever sent me work. 

Sounds like we feel similarly about them then.

What I mean by 'invited to work' is when you get an email or message from Upwork saying they suggest you apply for something and it doesn't cost any connects. It's happened a couple times for me. 

Highlighted
Haldane M Member Since: Aug 16, 2020
344 of 360

HI!

Im trying to upload a past prject and I keep getting a error when I try and upload a cover phot for the project. Picture attached

Highlighted
Community Guru
345 of 360

Haldane M wrote:

HI!

Im trying to upload a past prject and I keep getting a error when I try and upload a cover phot for the project. Picture attached

It's not an error. They really really really want you to create a specialized profile. Don't know why. 

Highlighted
Haldane M Member Since: Aug 16, 2020
346 of 360

Thx! And how and what does that do?

Highlighted
Community Guru
347 of 360

Haldane M wrote:

Thx! And how and what does that do?

As I said, I don't know. 

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
348 of 360

Hi Haldane,

I merged your thread into another one where you can find more information about specialized profiles. You can also check out this help article on how to create one. Feel free to follow up if you have further questions.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Muhammad Sarfraz N Member Since: Jul 20, 2020
349 of 360

I am providing only 1 service and I believe that I don't need any specialized profile for that. Moreover, it seems like the specialized profile is necessary for uploading a portfolio. Is it not possible to simply have a general profile and also upload a portfolio?

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
350 of 360

Hi Muhammad Sarfaz,

It is by design that there is no option to add new portfolio items to the general profile anymore. Freelancers who do not yet have specialized profiles will not be able to create new portfolio projects until they create a specialized profile. This update/change is also to encourage users to create specialized profiles as this will allow freelancers to better customize their skills and experience. You may read more about it in this announcement. Thank you!

-Joanne
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS