Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specialized Profiles Soon Available in All Categories

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nicholas K Member Since: Mar 25, 2020
321 of 343

Eitan M wrote:

I mistakenly created a specialized profile. How do I delete it?

Go to Profile Settings > Scroll down to Specialized profiles; You can View, Edit, Switch Specialty, or Delete.

Highlighted
Eitan M Member Since: Jul 21, 2020
322 of 343

That you for the reply! Here is my problem - I don't see it "specialized profiles" under profile settings" (I'm beginning to think I found a bug).

Here is what I'm doing:

1. Log in to Upwork.
  2. go to find "Find Work > Profile"
  3. Click on the big green "Profile Settings" button in the top right.
    • This brings me to a settings screen with two big sections on the left "Billings" and "User Settings." When I enter this page I am in "Password & Security" section under "User Settings"
    • (Nowhere do I see anything that says "project settings"
  4. Click on "Profile Settings" (also under "User Settings" and I just go back to "Password & Security"

Highlighted
323 of 343

Never mind.  I worked it out.  It turns out that Upwork wanted me to change my password and set up 2-factor authentication before it would allow me to access the profile settings.    (Even though it let me edit other things). I wish it would have displayed some sort of error message!

Highlighted
324 of 343

Actually - I take it back.

I can get to the "Specilized profile" section now under sttings but my only chioces are "Veiw", "Edit", and "Switch Specialites".  (No delete!)

Highlighted
Eli M Member Since: Nov 18, 2019
325 of 343

I just finished up a big new site and I want to add it to my portfolio.

When I click on the (+) button, it prompts me to create a specialized profile. I don't want a specialized profile. When I click "not now" it simply quits.

How can I add a portfolio item to my general profile?

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
326 of 343

Hi Eli,

A freelancer won't be able to add a new portfolio item or edit an existing one without adding a Specialized Profile because we are encouraging freelancers to create Specialized profiles. Specialized profiles allow freelancers to better describe the work they do and showcase their skills, portfolio items and previous work experience in a format that helps clients find best freelancers for their specific projects.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
327 of 343

Once I jump through the hoop of creating a specialized profile, will I be able to add portfolio items to my general profile again? Because I want my general profile to be up to date. I don't know what category people will be using when they come across my profile and I want them to see an accurate portfolio.

I see in the description of specialized profiles that there will be a link to it from my general profile, but I don't expect users to always see links. Also, they shouldn't have to go looking through multiple copies of my profiles in order to see my complete portfolio.

I can apprecate why specialized profiles might help in certain circumstances, but forcing us to do it is really cumbersome. Not as bad as the new rules about contact information and phone calls, but it's still one more thing that makes me feel like UpWork doesn't care.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
328 of 343

Hi Eli,

Note that if you add portfolio items to your specialized profile, they will be added to your general profile automatically.

Specialized profiles you create will be visible when you or a client clicks into your existing general profile, and clients can post jobs using a template that matches these new profiles. Specialized profiles will also be shown when you show up in relevant search results. Whether your general or specialized profile is shown will vary depending on the scenario and choices you make:

When a client uses the search function to search for freelancers we will show them your most relevant profile. For example, if they specifically search for mobile app development and you have a specialized mobile app development profile, that profile will be shown in search results.

Here are some other scenarios:

• You want to send a link to your profile to a client. You can choose to send direct links to your general profile or to your specialized profiles.
    • Someone clicks on your profile from a post you made in our Community. Your general profile will be shown by default, but they’ll be able to view your other profiles.
    • A client accesses your profile from an old contract or past discussion in Messages. Your general profile will be shown by default, but the client will be able to view your other profiles.
Highlighted
329 of 343

"Note that if you add portfolio items to your specialized profile, they will be added to your general profile automatically."

I just spent 30 minutes creating a specialized profile and adding the new portfolio item to it.

When I click on the "Public View" of my general profile, the new portfolio item isn't showing.

How can I make sure that when people land on whatever profile your system decides they are going to land on, that they see my entire portfolio? Does this mean that I need to spend hours creating a specialized profile for every single possible category that people might be using? And even then, I still have to hope that they don't land on my general profile.

If I create a bunch of specialized profiles, do I then have to update the portfolio on every single one when I want to add a single item to my portfolio?

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
330 of 343

Hi Eli,

I checked your account, and I can confirm that you have added a portfolio item that is currently in review. Once the review of the item you submitted is complete, that should be viewable in your account. 

-Joanne
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS