Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specialized Profiles for Freelancers that work in Mobile Development

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 42

Next week, we will be introducing a beta feature allowing freelancers to create different versions of their mobile development profiles for different mobile platforms: iOS, Android and Cross platform. Although we are initially testing this feature with freelancers in the mobile development category, we plan to expand specialized profiles to all freelancers and agencies in 2018.

We’ve heard from numerous freelancers that you don’t want to be confined to one bucket. Many of you have several skillsets, and would like to market and highlight your expertise, which can span more than one job category. However, meshing them all onto one profile is challenging and can appear scattered and a little chaotic, making it harder to effectively match you to relevant jobs. Additionally, you’ve shared that your rates can fluctuate depending on the job skill, and have requested to market specific skills at different rates. Specialized profiles will give freelancers the leverage needed to market themselves and their expertise through a more cohesive and efficient profile layout.

Here’s how it will work. Your current Upwork profile will remain as your general profile, nothing will change here. Your platform specific profiles will appear in additional tabs on your profile page (see screenshot below). For your specialized profile, you can highlight your iOS, Android and Cross platform expertise. You’ll create a unique title and description, have the option to set another rate, and show only the Upwork contracts and portfolio items that are most relevant to that particular expertise.

For example, you can separate out the work you’ve done as an iOS developer from your work as a translator.

Specialized Profiles.png

We’ve also made editing your profiles simple and easy. If you update something on your general profile that's also included on your specialized profile, it will automatically update on both. Vice versa, if you update or add a new item to your specialized profile, like a portfolio item, it will automatically add that item to your general profile as well.

Currently, for those freelancers in the mobile development beta-group, clients will see your specialized profile, only when visiting your general profile page. In December, we’ll be making changes to search so that when clients are searching by a specific category, your relevant mobile profile will be the default profile shown when they click on your name.

As we continue to expand on this feature in the coming months, we plan to bring more functionality for freelancers and clients. For example, when freelancers submit a proposal for a job, we plan to provide freelancers with an option to choose which profile to submit with their proposals. When clients are writing their job posts, we plan to enhance the job post flow so that details and questions will be customized for specific job categories, allowing clients to find more relevant and accurate matches for their jobs.

Freelancers that work in mobile development (this does not include agencies), you should expect to receive an email and see in-product messages when you login, notifying you of this feature and the beta-group testing in the coming weeks.  We’ve also recorded a webinar for mobile development freelancers to walk you through specialized profiles. You can watch the recording here. Creating a specialized profile only takes 10 minutes and is totally free. We encourage you to try this new beta feature out and let us know your feedback.

Our goal is to launch this option in other categories in 2018. However, please note that we are currently only testing this option and will base our decision on testing results and feedback from our users.

Untitled
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
2 of 42

Interesting. 

Is there any idea yet what other categories this could be released to in 2018? Will it be limited only to dev FLs who are already divided in pretty specific groups - platform/language/etc, or will it be eventually rolled out to everyone who can offer more than one skillset?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 42

Hi Bojana,

The goal is to launch this option in other categories in early 2018. However, please note that we are currently only testing this option and will base our decision on testing results and feedback from our users.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 42

I think it makes perfect sense. I can see how that would work in my category: one tab for translation, another for editing and another for writing.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
5 of 42

I like being able to charge $27 an hour for what most VA's get $12-18 (off-shore) for.

(shhhhh don't tell anyone.)

Not that I am overcharging clients. I just always end up doing some VA stuff as part of my job with ongoing clients, and I really don't mind. My job is to take things off their plate (most being management things).

I think the only reason I would want a different profile would be if I wanted to have a fixed-price short-term gig service that I want to put special focus on. (Which, I am building right now).

I like where I am, and don't really want to change my base package at all.

Pankit G Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
6 of 42

Hi Valeria,

Will this feature launch for Agency too?

Community Leader
Abderrazzak B Member Since: Mar 23, 2017
7 of 42

Nice... Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
8 of 42

Once this is rolled out to all freelancers, please tell me that we can choose NOT to have specialized profiles? I.e., have our general profiles and nothing else? If so, will that limit us from showing up in searches / getting invites?

Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
9 of 42

"Yio shini, yio shina" - Good thinking, good product.

Best of luck with the test cycle/phase.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 42

Brillant! Can't wait until that becomes available to everyone!!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS