Did you mean: 

Sponsored Freelancer Search Ads Test

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
11 of 43

Christine A wrote:

Rene K wrote:

The issue I have with what Upwork is doing now is in the wording: sponsored

Man, this sounds just like what it is: a paid-for ad. I don't know, I never click on sponsored links on Google or on Amazon because I know that they are not the best fits, but results that have been paid for.

Yep, I usually ignore the "sponsored" results on Google as well, but I suspect that we're in the minority. It must work, otherwise nobody would be paying to be sponsored. 

If Upwork must do this, I would vastly prefer the word "Featured" rather than "Sponsored". I was considering upgrading to the "Plus" plan myself, but I think I'll hold off now.

On the other hand, "featured" (or just about any other word I can imagine as preferable to "sponsored") implies endorsement. Which Upwork never does. Never ever. No, really. Man Wink

I have to remind myself when looking at "featured" jobs that it means "sponsored," not endorsed by Upwork (and a good thing, too, since a number of them in my feed are for academic fraud).

In cold, hard, economic terms, it's "sponsored" no matter which way you slice it: it's a fancy label and/or special placement based on Upwork receiving cash. So should Upwork go with the (arguably) marketing-negative "sponsored," the misleading "featured" or equivalent, or just scrap the whole program? As usual, expecting the worst.

Community Guru
12 of 43

Lena E wrote:

This test is not changing search results. Clients will still see the same results they do today when they search for freelancers. “Sponsored” profiles will just be highlighted at the top of the search result pages.

Ahem. "Just"? This sequence of sentences, truth, and logic do not exist in the same universe.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
13 of 43

Let's say it's a paid option, and 50 relevant freelancers that come up in the search result have paid for it. Will only 3 appear highlighted, and the other 47 will appear not highlighted, even if they paid for it?

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
14 of 43

Martina P wrote:

Let's say it's a paid option, and 50 relevant freelancers that come up in the search result have paid for it. Will only 3 appear highlighted, and the other 47 will appear not highlighted, even if they paid for it?

I don't think so. This is the way it works now, it seems (nobody cared to tell us by the way). From what Lena wrote it seems indeed that currently, 3 Plus members are already on the top of the proposals results in search.

What they are testing is to add the sponsored label to these and see what's happening. How clients react to the label. If it works (my bet is on it won't work), they will come with a way to allow each freelancer to have this sponsored label showing. Or say to the n first applicants.

Please Lena feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
15 of 43

Rene K wrote:

Martina P wrote:

I don't think so. This is the way it works now, it seems (nobody cared to tell us by the way). From what Lena wrote it seems indeed that currently, 3 Plus members are already on the top of the proposals results in search.

What they are testing is to add the sponsored label to these and see what's happening. How clients react to the label. If it works (my bet is on it won't work), they will come with a way to allow each freelancer to have this sponsored label showing. Or say to the n first applicants.

Please Lena feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

That's not what Lena's (corporate marketing's) text says:
"When clients search for freelancers, the first three freelancers with a Plus plan that would have naturally appeared in those search results will also be highlighted at the top with a “sponsored” tag (see example below).  With one freelancer being featured atop of pages 1-3 of search results."

I read both "highlighted" and "at the top" as new Upwork interventions. "Would have naturally appeared" seems to only indicate that no one is being bumped up onto the first three pages; it also gives Upwork a specious basis for claiming that this change is no change.

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
16 of 43

I didn't get a reply.

Apart from that, since connects will be paid and therefore they will roll over, being a plus freelancer will lose its attraction. They might be doing this to add a new attraction to being a plus member as a freelancer.

Community Guru
17 of 43

Baris A wrote:

....since connects will be paid and therefore they will roll over, being a plus freelancer will lose its attraction. They might be doing this to add a new attraction to being a plus member as a freelancer.

Agreed. For reasons discussed, this "feature" is a distinct disincentive to investing in a Plus membership.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
18 of 43

Baris A wrote:

I didn't get a reply.

They might be doing this to add a new attraction to being a plus member as a freelancer.

Um ... that's probably the only reason why they're doing it. They want more money / more paid members, and that's it. Such a "clever" move.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
19 of 43

Hi Martina,

Correct. When a client searches for a freelancer we will take the first three freelancers with a Freelancer Plus membership who appear in search results and highlight them as “Sponsored.” They will continue to appear in the regular list of search results, too, as will freelancers who don’t subscribe to Freelancer Plus.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
20 of 43

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Martina,

Correct. When a client searches for a freelancer we will take the first three freelancers with a Freelancer Plus membership who appear in search results and highlight them as “Sponsored.” They will continue to appear in the regular list of search results, too, as will freelancers who don’t subscribe to Freelancer Plus.

But this is not how Google is going to play with it. They will take those misleadingly named sponsored profiles and whack them on every page devoted to Upwork, and then when you search for the person behind the sponsored profile, you may or may not find him or her. 

Come to think of it, Google has a more democratic approach! Just sayin'. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS