cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sponsored Freelancer Search Ads Test

Denys S Member Since: Sep 12, 2015
21 of 43

Hi Lena. You say that

Currently, these ads we’re testing highlight freelancers who paid for the Freelancer Plus plan.

Any options/ides if it will work for Agemcy Plus plans?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
22 of 43

Thanks for your question, Denys. Agencies are not eligible for this test.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
23 of 43

Lena E wrote:

With one freelancer being featured atop of pages 1-3 of search results. Subsequent search result pages after page 3 will not display freelancer ads.

There will be only one sponsored freelancer at the top of each of the first three pages of search results? What if the second and third sponsored freelancers would have appeared on the first page in the search ranking? They'll be bumped to the second and third pages just because they are sponsored?

24 of 43

Hi Heaven,

Yes, there will be one sponsored freelancer at the top of the page tagged as "Sponsored." They will continue to appear in the regular list of search results as well.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
25 of 43

And now you all know why tire-kicking used car salespeople are never trusted ....

V/O - slimy sales pitch intonation

"But it's a good deal. Only driven by a little old lady.  And approved and sponsored by your  friendly used-car salesperson."

Who forgot to do any market research???

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
26 of 43

I am very interested to see how this plays out to the extent that we actually get to hear any results. Likely this will just be made an option or it won't. Nonetheless, I think this is a worthwhile experiment. I don't, however, see this being similar to Google. When was the last time you found a service provider through a Google search and then either praised or blamed Google based on your experience with that provider? The answer is never. Feelancer searching here is within a closed ecosystem. You aren't going to get results from Freelancer.com or any other service. Therefore how someone is displayed and what wording is used will absolutely reflect on Upwork. Does Upwork want to "feature" or be "sponsored" by a freelancer with a poor JSS? Google wouldn't care about such things, but I'd imagine that UW must. To the extent that someone is "featured" it should be based upon their results and the value they are bringing to the platform. "Sponsoring" should also have gates as again I think it would reflect badly on UW to highlight a poor performing freelancer who winds up costing the platform more than profiting it. In this way I think in anyway highlighting someone just because they pay for a membership, is a bad idea. What would it say to a client that UW highlights a freelancer with a crappy score and crappy review comments? Frankly this should not be a democracy but rather a meritocracy. UW needs to assign a value to each of its freelancers and then push those that bring the most and take the least. If you want that special treatment then you'd better earn it. Both sides maximize their profits that way. Regardless, if I assume a system was in place that prevented "bad" freelancers from getting a crack at this, I would be interested in knowing what a bit of financial investment might bring in terms of paying for a highlight, etc. 

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
27 of 43

Well, another "****"
At least I learned that the "members +" always appeared at the top of the searches, if I understood correctly.
I had no idea of this, I thought there was a random rotation.

So, if any customer is looking for a 2d animator, and someone is F + (even if I have he/she has less experience than me or less JSS, for example), will it appear in the list ahead of me because I am an F basic?
Please, someone tell me that I am confused Smiley Frustrated

28 of 43

Hi Maria,

When a client searches for a freelancer the first three freelancers with a Freelancer Plus membership who appear in search results will be highlighted as “Sponsored.” They will continue to appear in the regular list of search results, too, as will freelancers who don’t subscribe to Freelancer Plus. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
29 of 43

I don't understand. Forgetting the current test, if in the future 40 graphic designers pay to be sponsored when a client searches for book interior design, the first 1 (or 3, I am confused about this as well), will be on top of the search results, and the other 39 of us may or may not even show up in the first three pages of search results?

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
30 of 43

Kelly B wrote:

I don't understand. Forgetting the current test, if in the future 40 graphic designers pay to be sponsored when a client searches for book interior design, the first 1 (or 3, I am confused about this as well), will be on top of the search results, and the other 39 of us may or may not even show up in the first three pages of search results?

+ 1000

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS