cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sponsored Freelancer Search Ads Test

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
31 of 43

Kelly, Maria and Nichola,

Let me take another stab at explaining how it works. 

When a client runs a search, profiles appear in a certain order based on the parameters of the search and the information on these profiles. 

With this test, the search results order is the same but the first freelancer in this order who has Plus Membership is also shown at the top of the first page, the second freelancer who has Plus Membership appears at the top of the second page and the third freelancer who has Plus Membership is shown at the top of the third page. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
32 of 43

Valeria K wrote:

Kelly, Maria and Nichola,

Let me take another stab at explaining how it works. 

When a client runs a search, profiles appear in a certain order based on the parameters of the search and the information on these profiles. 

With this test, the search results order is the same but the first freelancer in this order who has Plus Membership is also shown at the top of the first page, the second freelancer who has Plus Membership appears at the top of the second page and the third freelancer who has Plus Membership is shown at the top of the third page. 

OK so how does this work with 40 freelancers with Plus Membership? Who comes first, second or fortieth? Or does this mean that the client has to trawl through 40 pages (perhaps more)? 

ETA: Given that Upwork's algorithm notoriously mismatches, how are these "parameters " established? 

Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
33 of 43

Nichola, I think what I got from it is how we fall in search results which would be only good for the few who are always at the top, though I don't always look at the client search page either. I can never find my name in the search results easily either, not sure why. I know others have had similar issues. I had to search by name to even find me. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
34 of 43

Valeria K wrote:

Are they rotated or will a specific search query always result in the same three persons occupying the top of the first three pages?

If my query is English to French translation, will I see the same three persons on the top like forever, or do you rotate the Plus members so each of them has a chance to be on the sponsored podium?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
35 of 43

That's exactly what I am wondering too Rene. It would make more sense to have them rotate through for everyone who is paying to have such a sponsored ad rather than go by where they fall in search results. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
36 of 43

We haven't changed the way freelancer search itself works. Freelancer search results will be different depending on who's searching and with which parameters. Search results for the same query are also rotated to make sure different freelancers get a fair chance to be discovered. Therefore, freelancers with Plus Plan who organically appear first, second and third in search will also change overtime. So to answer your question here, Rene, no you won't always see same sponsored freelancers for your search. They will change.

Rene K wrote:

If my query is English to French translation, will I see the same three persons on the top like forever, or do you rotate the Plus members so each of them has a chance to be on the sponsored podium?

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
37 of 43

I would like to know how this would work for translators when Upwork is incapable of recognizing language pairs.  

Community Guru
38 of 43

Thanks Valeria, what Rene asked was also my question about this too, and it now makes more sense and I am glad this will be rotated so it goes through multiple pro freelancers in the search. I think it's not bad for those who are paying to have a pro membership, which does need more incentive since the changes of the connects. I'm gonna keep my membership, I always have anyways throughout my entire time here as to me it is a business expense and has been helpful even though I rarely use connects as of late. I appreciate this change. 

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
39 of 43

My objection is this "first, second, third" nonsense. Upwork is obsessed with speed. That's not how I work. That's not how my market works. It's a professional exchange, not a race.

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
40 of 43

Hi Douglas Michael, 

I dont understand what you mean by speed? These freelancers are not racing to appear in search, it happens organically how they are displayed. And out of those search results, if any of those freelancers are plus freelancers they will apear in the search ads atop each of the first 3 pages. 

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS