cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Terms of Service Update 2018

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
41 of 128

+ 1 to Wassim's comment which should be printed out; hung on every cubicle of all U staff - and then stapled to the foreheads of every person involved with this inane, detrimental to clients and FLers, and most certainly detrimental to U's bottom line 'new policy'.

Companies so fearful of open and honest communication between vested parties have a history of failing. Badly. Loudly. To the surprise of none except the policy implementers.

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
42 of 128

What was: 

To register for an Account, you must be, and hereby represent that you are, a legal entity or an individual 18 years or older who can form legally binding contracts.

is now (1.2)

To register for an Account or use the Site and Site Services, you must, and hereby represent that you... (d) a legal entity or an individual 18 years or older (or have otherwise reached the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which you conduct business) who can form legally binding contracts.

So depending on where they're located, 18 may not be the minimum age  for people to open an account?

Community Guru
43 of 128

Then, based on Kim's reading of the relevant ToS section ...

To add insult to injury ... Upwork apparently has chosen to totally ignore the international concept of and aversion to child labor.

Lovely. Just lovely.  Smiley Sad

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
44 of 128

@Kim F wrote:

What was: 

To register for an Account, you must be, and hereby represent that you are, a legal entity or an individual 18 years or older who can form legally binding contracts.

is now (1.2)

To register for an Account or use the Site and Site Services, you must, and hereby represent that you... (d) a legal entity or an individual 18 years or older (or have otherwise reached the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which you conduct business) who can form legally binding contracts.

So depending on where they're located, 18 may not be the minimum age  for people to open an account?

Very interesting.

I found the Wikipedia page on the subject rather fascinating reading.

Community Guru
45 of 128

Still commenting on U's 'desire' to restrict all communications to the platform -

I have a ticket that has been open for 5-6 months.  It is now 3 pages long.

Topic > a system glitch that keeps me from getting notification of invites, both buyer and U generated + no notification of messages received from either clients or potential clients responding to a bid.

With a track record of U 'goofs' like this, do you seriously want me to not share contact info????

BTW- the CS agent who finally got involved is super.  Maybe it won't take 12 months to correct this...

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
46 of 128

@Wendy C wrote:

BTW- the CS agent who finally got involved is super.  Maybe it won't take 12 months to correct this...

I wish this was an exaggeration, but it actually took the team nearly 2 years to fix a bug on my profile that I had reported in 2016. I had almost given up but then I randomly checked one day, and saw that it had been quietly fixed (or resolved on its own). My ticket was never updated.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
47 of 128

Jess C wrote: 

....So depending on where they're located, 18 may not be the minimum age  for people to open an account?

Very interesting.

Jess C

is now (1.2)

Very interesting.

The general geographic distribution of countries where the age of majority is lower than age 18 is particularly fascinating.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
48 of 128

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

The general geographic distribution of countries where the age of majority is lower than age 18 is particularly fascinating.

Thanks for pointing this out, Jess & Douglas Michael. The general distribution is Asia and Middle East, but UK & Cuba don't fit the pattern. Also puzzling that it's lower for women than men in Pakistan.

Back to ToS 4.1, this is what I'm seeing as a prohibited use:
Sharing or soliciting contact information, such as email, phone number, or Skype ID, in a profile or job post;

And this was *explained* by Lena thus:
To avoid confusion, we’ve updated the Terms of Use that will become effective on May 20 to omit this change.

What would actually avoid confusion for me is knowing if on May 20, the terms will be amended yet again to incorporate the change that was just omitted? For those joining the thread late, the change would have prohibited skype or email as part of a proposal or interview.

Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
49 of 128

@John K wrote:

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

The general geographic distribution of countries where the age of majority is lower than age 18 is particularly fascinating. .

....The general distribution is Asia and Middle East, but UK & Cuba don't fit the pattern.

That UK listing is for Scotland only. There’s another UK listing at age 18 for England and Wales. Must be the haggis.

Mateja M Member Since: Aug 11, 2017
50 of 128
I think Wassim explained everything and sticking to that plan would bring a lot of problems to both freelancers and clients, which would have a huge negative impact on the whole platform. UW are you sure that this is the smartest decision and that it's the direction you want to take?

I like that quote about action and progress, so true. It looks like you guys are high on something and just wanna watch the world (platform) burn.

btw Your android app occasionally stops notifying me of any new messages and I give late replies to my clients, better deal with that for starters.