cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terms of Service Update 2018

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
101 of 128

Reinier asked a few times "if these updates to the ToS and User Agreement written by actual, licensed attorneys who have English as their native language?"

This is the same question many of us are asking.  

Would a moderator please answer it -

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
102 of 128

Yes Wendy, our Legal team of licensed attorneys have written these terms. If you have specific questions about how these terms apply to you or your situation please consult your own legal adviser. 

Untitled
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
103 of 128

As you've now re-stated that questions regarding the ToS need to be asked by a 'legal advisor', can you please supply the contact details of the legal representative who is responsible for dealing with such questions at your end so that people know where to direct them, as well as the process that needs to be used.

(Although I don't have a question at this precise moment, it's almost inevitable I will in the future, and others may do now.)

And can you confirm that CS agents will no longer answer such questions as you appear to imply?

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
104 of 128

@Kim F wrote:

As you've now re-stated that questions regarding the ToS need to be asked by a 'legal advisor', can you please supply the contact details of the legal representative who is responsible for dealing with such questions at your end so that people know where to direct them, as well as the process that needs to be used.

(Although I don't have a question at this precise moment, it's almost inevitable I will in the future, and others may do now.)

And can you confirm that CS agents will no longer answer such questions as you appear to imply?

Seconded.

Is it really Upwork policy that employees cannot/will not answer questions about the Terms of Service?

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
105 of 128

The Terms of Service is a legal document.  It would be highly inappropriate, if not downright the unlicensed practice of law, for anyone other than an attorney to interpret it, either for you or for Upwork.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
106 of 128

@Mary W wrote:

The Terms of Service is a legal document.  It would be highly inappropriate, if not downright the unlicensed practice of law, for anyone other than an attorney to interpret it, either for you or for Upwork.

Now that is just great, isn't it?  

(Said in anticipation of this thread getting zapped) 

Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
107 of 128

Mary W.,

You and I are usually in 100% agreement  regarding Upwork issues.

However, I must respectfully disagree.

Legal documents are not written for attorneys - they are written for the parties involved.

I am not an attorney (although 1/4 of the CPA exam is business law). 

As a businessman, I have "interpreted" the business terms of 100's of legal documents.  If there is a legal dispute, yes, I have always referred the legal aspect to my attorney. 

Regards,

Joe

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
108 of 128

I was unclear in what I said.  What I meant was that the mods/ CS can explain in simpler terms what the document says.  They should not, however, attempt to interpret the document.  Does that make sense?

Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
109 of 128

Yes.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
110 of 128

Lena, keeping in mind that you're (probably) not the one who came up with the answers to our questions, I say this with no offense or disrespect meant:

The reply you posted on April 23rd is both unbelievable and unnacceptable.

I understand that you're not the one who drafted the ToS and Upwork's other documents, but is this really how moderators are instructed to address long-established freelancers with very valid concerns?

"If there is every any doubt, you should go back and read the Terms of Service."

"...we advise you to reach out to your own legal advisors."

"...we recommend you speak to your own advisors."

"...we are giving you thirty days to read through the document and become familiar with the terms. We believe 30 days is more than enough time."

Do you (Upwork) think that the freelancers on this thread spent their precious time combing through these poorly written, ambiguous updates for fun - or just to give you a hard time?

I understand that Upwork has always prioritized clients over freelancers, and I get that we're free to leave if we're unhappy with the site, but what sort of business devalues its users to this degree?

Is this really what you (Upwork) want top-perfoming freelancers to say about your company?

"I'm done wasting my time hoping for better." (Jess)

This is a new low and incredibly disappointing.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS