cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terms of Service Update 2018

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
111 of 128

I believe I've previously quoted this sometime in the past in another thread regarding a different subject.  However, it's also pertinent for this one.  "If a committee or team is allowed to discuss a bad idea long enough, it will vote to implement the idea simply because so much work has already been done on it."

Hopefully UW will not implement several bad ideas that they are evidently considering.  

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
112 of 128

11 pages later and we are still waiting for a yes/no honest response ... Smiley Sad.

Everyone has agreed that U's ToS needs to be written in easy to comprehend English.  When native speakers can't understand the wording - how the he// does U expect FLers with English as a 2 / 3/ or 4th language to figure it out?

U prides itself on being a global platform - and rightly so.  Then, as such, U. has no choice but to convey dictates for the right to use the platform in terms all users can understand.

I'm quite certain this will be ignored; however the key issue raised should be addressed by one of U's legal representatives. Requiring some poor mod, who is forced to scramble for a corp.-speak response, only to have it fail to answer the questions raised is an exercise in futility. 

As proof, witness the 11 pages of utter confusion springing from Lena's original post.

Taylor C Member Since: Aug 23, 2018
113 of 128

Thanks for explaining.

What is the recommended way to alter or remove the optional service contract terms when entering into an Upwork contract?

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
114 of 128

@Taylor C wrote:

Thanks for explaining.

What is the recommended way to alter or remove the optional service contract terms when entering into an Upwork contract?

Official confirmation or correction is welcome: My understanding is that the optional service contract terms must be opted into by both contractor and client before they apply. Your best bet for having correct contract terms with your client is to have your own contract. How much or how little of the Upwork standard contract you incorporate is up to you.

115 of 128

Douglas, thanks for replying. I'm pretty sure that the default is that one does agree to the optional service contract terms (which is odd considering the name "optional". The first paragraph is this:

Users who enter into a Service Contract on the Site with another User are free to agree to these Optional Service Terms in whole or in part, or to agree to different or additional terms for their Service Contract(s). However, if and to the extent that the Users who are party to a Service Contract have not agreed to different terms, then they agree to incorporate these Optional Terms

The second sentence seems to support your advice to have your own contract.

However, I'm concerned that its not perfectly clear what exactly would "count" as "different terms". What about a separate NDA, combined with chat about what is going to be done? does this count as "terms" that would negate the optional service terms? I suppose exlicitly stating that the terms replace the optional service terms could do the trick, but I'm wondering if Upwork has a more concrete definition or guidance.

116 of 128
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
117 of 128

@Taylor C wrote:

Douglas, thanks for replying. I'm pretty sure that the default is that one does agree to the optional service contract terms (which is odd considering the name "optional". The first paragraph is this:

Users who enter into a Service Contract on the Site with another User are free to agree to these Optional Service Terms in whole or in part, or to agree to different or additional terms for their Service Contract(s). However, if and to the extent that the Users who are party to a Service Contract have not agreed to different terms, then they agree to incorporate these Optional Terms

The second sentence seems to support your advice to have your own contract.

However, I'm concerned that its not perfectly clear what exactly would "count" as "different terms". What about a separate NDA, combined with chat about what is going to be done? does this count as "terms" that would negate the optional service terms? I suppose exlicitly stating that the terms replace the optional service terms could do the trick, but I'm wondering if Upwork has a more concrete definition or guidance.

Thanks for checking this out, Taylor. Yes, it is a peculiar use of the term "optional." I should know better than to take Upwork's language at face value.

You may "rest assured" that Upwork has no more concrete definition or guidance. This thread is full of the most basic questions for clarification to which Upwork's response is: lawyer up.

One nice feature of Elance was that the onsite correspondence with clients was considered to be the contract.

You have inspired me to review my standard contract terms and make sure I include them in initial correspondence.

Thanks and best,

Michael

Community Guru
118 of 128

Does this mean when Upwork 'reviews' messaging it is essentially worthless?

I know with eLance all messaging was reviewed and absolutely served to back up either party.

119 of 128

Understood. I should probably do the same.

I notice that many contracts have a clause saying that the current agreement supercedes all others, or something like this. Perhaps such a clause negates the "optional" terms.

Community Guru
120 of 128

Taylor, the contract I use does have the clause "this contract overrides and supersedes Upwork's generic contract" in it - and both the client and I sign it before work begins.  It resides in the workroom ... and therein lies the concern.

IF Upwork does not actually review and honor items in the workroom ... is it all for naught?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS